View Full Version : Is a career in emergency medicine possible with ADD-PI and overfocused types?

Axmann
04-26-16, 07:57 PM
I'm a 24-year-old male with ADHD graduating from my BSN program and taking the NCLEX in August.

I've always known that what I really wanted was to be a physician, but didn't think I was competent enough, etc., so I went to nursing school.

I have rather severe ADHD-PI, with lots of overfocused features. For example, I'm usually the very last person to finish an exam (regardless of the fact that I've usually got the highest score).

In clinicals, it seems like it takes me longer to understand very basic concepts because I overthink them WAYYYY too much.

My entire life I've always absolutely longed to end up as an emergency medicine physician, but when I had my ER rotation in nursing school I was basically told I wasn't assertive enough, and too timid.

Will it ever be possible to overcome the struggles in my brain in a way that I could function well in emergency medicine? Am I basically just ****** for life, stuck in careers that offer me no fulfillment and I have no interest in?

Daydreamin22
04-26-16, 11:42 PM
Don't let anyone tell you it's not possible. You have to figure out what you can do by trying.

InvitroCanibal
04-27-16, 12:56 AM
I've lived my life through passion and being unreasonable.

I have no regrets.

You won't know what you can do until you try. Everyday I surprise myself because I see the impossible daily in both myself and in the people I serve.

But, not a day goes by that I don't doubt myself. In spite of that, I seem to do my job well because it is the fact that I am not over confident that helps me stay focused and not act like an unfeeling automaton.

I suggest you just follow your heart

acdc01
04-27-16, 05:35 AM
I think you should follow your dreams. I actually think a physicians job would be a lot easier for us than than other jobs our society feels is easier. Especially since you're passionate about it. Passion can make all the difference.

I have a friend who used to be so timid I would say she had social anxiety. She's overcome that and so can you.

It doesn't matter if you overthink and take longer to understand concepts so long as you get them 8n the end. As a physician you'll need to diagnose though and yes in emergency situations you can't take too long. Is your dream to be an emergency physician or just some type of physician?

Cause my gp takes forever and a lot of his patients love him for it. It feels like he actually cares and isn't rushing them out the door. He owns his own practice. I think if your dream is to work in an er, then you should go for it but there are always other types of physician jobs too if you end up deciding the er isn't right for you.

Do you think you overthink too much not just cause you have ADHD but because you lack confidence? Cause if so, perhaps you should see a fherapist.

sarahsweets
04-27-16, 04:06 PM
My entire life I've always absolutely longed to end up as an emergency medicine physician, but when I had my ER rotation in nursing school I was basically told I wasn't assertive enough, and too timid.

Will it ever be possible to overcome the struggles in my brain in a way that I could function well in emergency medicine? Am I basically just ****** for life, stuck in careers that offer me no fulfillment and I have no interest in?

F**k them for saying that to you! Maybe you were timid because you were a nursing student in clinicals! Maybe its because you were still learning, My borther graduates from nursing school in 2 weeks and has been through the gambit when it comes to people making blanket statements. Trying something out and failing isnt bad, its a lesson. The lesson is what you learn from the experience and how that changes you. Being afraid and doing it anyway is courage.

Little Missy
04-27-16, 04:16 PM
F**k them for saying that to you! Maybe you were timid because you were a nursing student in clinicals! Maybe its because you were still learning, My borther graduates from nursing school in 2 weeks and has been through the gambit when it comes to people making blanket statements. Trying something out and failing isnt bad, its a lesson. The lesson is what you learn from the experience and how that changes you. Being afraid and doing it anyway is courage.

BRAVO! Yes! :)

Jacksper
04-27-16, 08:33 PM
Emergency medicine sounds like a very good fit for someone with ADHD! A lot of action/change to keep you focussed - personally I love the feeling when accidents happen; don't get me wrong, I don't like it that something bad happens to someone, but I feel very alive and sharp, I am usually the one who takes charge. I have always assumed that this is connected to my ADHD.

Also, medicine is very interesting; ADHD people often have a curious mind, so you can use that to keep learning about your field.

If this is what you want to do, go for it and don't let anyone tell you that it's not possible for you.

finallyfound10
05-01-16, 01:37 PM
Hi Axmann,

I am an RN. I will PM you as I don't want to bog others down with "our language!!"

seemingly
05-01-16, 02:40 PM
You have already achieved SOOOO SOOOO much despite the daily difficulties you have to overcome every day. I literally have no doubt you can do it - and be good at it. Yes, you may be "different" in some ways, but in the end all that matters is the patient outcome, not the path you take to achieve that.

Plus, when you are in the middle of a case, it literally forces you to focus.

I have no idea what being timid/not assertive has to do with being an ER doc. Erase those words from your memory - they are as irrelevant to this as the color of your hair or the length of your nailbed. Again, as long as you can deliver the best outcome for the patient, I don't care if you are a wallflower or brash and rash and loud.

Go for it. What's your next step, studying for USMLE? Start ASAP, you are ready!

aeon
05-01-16, 05:54 PM
I am an RN. I will PM you as I don't want to bog others down with "our language!!"

Too bad, I would have very much liked to have heard it.

Cheers,
Ian