View Full Version : Odd/Funny Pet Behavior

Laserbeak
04-27-16, 08:39 AM
Post strange or idiosyncratic behavior of your pets or former pets (may they rest in peace). I'll start:

The dog I had during most of my youth was well-behaved unless she escaped the house or backyard.

We had to (sometimes in the middle of the night!) go out in our car and drive around the subdivision (that had a main circle road to it) with her running behind several times some times until she literally just collapsed and could barely make it into the car. Once in a while we had to go back and pick her up and carry her back to the car! I don't remember the exact mph, but she ran pretty darned fast!

Little Missy
04-27-16, 08:49 AM
I always had Red Dobermans -but only one at a time until death- that were the sweetest dogs ever and they would sit their butt on the couch with their front feet on the floor. All of them did it! They'd chatter their teeth for a treat and smile with their lips peeled back. Almost like a behavior that was bred in them or something.
My Whippets and Greyhounds were the quietest, kind and sweetest dogs to have along with the Red Dobermans. And they all had their own stuffed bunny that they carried everywhere, even in the car for a ride. They never ripped them up. I still have their bunnies and collars for sentimental reasons. All of them loved my horse, never chased cattle or pheasants and they all went CRAZY for other dog company. A lot of love. Never tied or fenced, they never left the immediate yard and we had acres and acres to go on if they wanted to.

I miss them but I can't have my heart broken again.

psychopathetic
04-27-16, 09:31 AM
My friend had a great big rottweiler...first time I went to his house, she scared the hell out of me. But I soon realized she was just about the sweetest dog in the world and was nothing but a great big softy lol.
I poured SO much attention into the dog! I loved her to bits. My friends would largely ignore her, but not me...the second I'd go to his place, I'd be hugging her and petting her.

Soon enough she became my lap dog haha. The second I'd sit down on my friend's couch...she'd leap right up there on my lap. I always got such a kick out of it...how such a huge dog was my lap dog.

<3

psychopathetic
04-27-16, 09:35 AM
I also had a guinea pig while I was in high school. About the cutest damned animals in the world.
I don't know how many of you have had guinea pigs before...but part of what makes them so danged cute...is how vocal they are! They make all sorts of cute sounds.
Well everytime I'd get home from school...the second I'd open the door...he'd start screaming and wheating at the top of his lungs!! lol he knew that was 'treat' time, and he was SO demanding about it! haha
I just adored him!

Laserbeak
04-27-16, 09:49 AM
I had a bird (Indian Ringneck Parakeet) and a rabbit (her name was Flower and she was white with one ear that stuck up and the other one that was floppy). And the rabbit attacked and bit the bird! We had to take him (Thunderbird) to the vet immediately since even though it was a small wound, it was bleeding and bird blood doesn't clot well. The vet said something like "This must be a first in the annals of Veterinary Medicine -- a parrot bitten by rabbit and blood drawn!"

psychopathetic
04-27-16, 10:16 AM
Did the birdy make a recovery? :(

Laserbeak
04-27-16, 11:01 AM
Did the birdy make a recovery? :(

Yes, he recovered fine with just a swab of clotting compound for birds.

Thanks!

midnightstar
04-27-16, 03:48 PM
My first cat Beauty was actually scared of prey animals :lol: I remember one time she found a mouse/shrew and brought it home so proud of herself over finding it (she thought it was dead) but as soon as she put it on the ground in front of us to show us it jumped up, ran off, Beauty was all "oh crap it's alive", ran under my brother's car (which was still and engine was off), mouse/shrew ran off in the opposite direction, Beauty was all "I don't wanna look see where it's gone" and by the time she had the courage to look it had already disappeared :lol:

stef
04-27-16, 03:57 PM
our cat loved black olives. Like other cats go crazy over tuna or something. even the little ones they have on frozen pizza here.

TygerSan
04-27-16, 04:32 PM
Our rabbit *knew* she wasn't allowed upstairs when we let her out of her pen. And yet, every danged time the door opened, the *minute* we turned our heads, she was halfway up the staircase. Then, if she realized you knew she was where she wasn't supposed to be, she'd tear down the stairs, do a lap of the living room and end with a sideways hop as if to say "That was fun. F your stupid rules!"

I was sitting on the couch eating popcorn at my parent's house once when their boy cat came up to me begging for food. I gave him a kernel expecting him to reject it. I have to admit I wasn't terribly surprised when he started licking the salt off of it. I was mighty surprised when he crunched it, swallowed it, and looked at me asking for more!

Lunacie
04-27-16, 04:42 PM
We had a cat that loved buttered salted popcorn too. Didn't have to worry about sweeping up any that got dropped. :lol:

We had one cat that would lie down to eat his food and drink from his bowl. :umm1:

My daughter had a cat that went for walks with us, no leash. Sometimes she'd poke around ahead of us, or stop to check something and have to catch up.

I miss cats but my allergies got worse. Now it's 2 chihuahuas, a papillon, and a guinea pig. Yes, he yells when he hears the fridge open to bring him a treat.

acdc01
04-27-16, 05:21 PM
My family had a cat that looked and sounded like an angel but was a little devil. My mom forgot to leave the door open at night. Cat was not happy as he usually slept in that room so the next night, he peeded on my mom while she was sleeping.

The night after that, my mom moved temporarily to the guest room to sleep as we hadn't had time to get a new mattress yet to replace the one our cat peed on. Our cat followed her to that guest room and again peed directly on my mom at night while she was sleeping. In an effort to discourage our cat from peeing on her, she brought the cat to the area with the pee and told our cat "bad, no" forcefully and then locked him up for a bit. The next night, mom had to sleep on the floor as we had no unsoiled mattresses left for her. Cat followed her again to the new room and peed on her a third time. The day after my mom tried a different tactic and treated our cat like a king. He stopped peeing on her.

Our cat is a little devil (he's still alive but living with my dad now). But he's the cutest adult cat I've ever seen with the most adorable meow so you still have to love him.

DJ Bill
04-27-16, 07:19 PM
Our two cats at work love flowing water. The boy cat drinks it, and the girl cat swipes at it and bites the stream. The boy cat comes into the bathroom when I am in there and lays down in the sink to say look at me!

They love laser pointers too. Lately the boy has taken to swiping one of my coffee cups off the counter every time he sees it there. I guess he doesn't like purple.

midnightstar
04-28-16, 03:54 AM
Lately the boy has taken to swiping one of my coffee cups off the counter every time he sees it there. I guess he doesn't like purple.

Basically it's a case of "if it's there for swiping off the table down it goes whee" *crash* ;) it's a cat game - my Tigger does it with pens :)

sarahsweets
04-28-16, 04:37 AM
My cat loved latex gloves and plastic shopping bags, she would lick them forever and find them no matter how hard we tried to hide them. My one dog loves balled up tissues and will find them anywhere and take them outside. My other dog has a thing for my-ahem- thongs. I used to take it personally until I found out from my neighbor that her dogs are the same way with her. So This spring when my husband went out to cut the grass for the first time, he had to do a sweep of the yard for loose underwear.

midnightstar
04-28-16, 04:51 AM
My Tigger's got a "used bath water" fetish, if I've been in the bath she insists on sniffing all round my feet then flopping over and trying to play with my feet, she never does this if I haven't been in the bath, only when I have been in the bath or if I'm wearing shoes with shoelaces :lol:

sarahsweets
04-28-16, 06:12 AM
My Tigger's got a "used bath water" fetish, if I've been in the bath she insists on sniffing all round my feet then flopping over and trying to play with my feet, she never does this if I haven't been in the bath, only when I have been in the bath or if I'm wearing shoes with shoelaces :lol:

I miss my kitty frannie so much. She had kitty breast cancer and kidney failure 3 years ago and I had to put her down. S o many people were like"it's just a cat" I still miss her.I wont bring another cat into the home with the dogs right now . she was there before them but I'm not sure how they would take to a cat after they've been the alphas.

psychopathetic
04-28-16, 08:34 AM
Awwww :( That's so sad.

(((Sweets)))

What breeds are your 2 pups?

sarahsweets
04-28-16, 09:20 AM
Awwww :( That's so sad.

(((Sweets)))

What breeds are your 2 pups?

Cockapoo with some bicheon(SP?)
and pomeranian with bicheon.
I delivered both of them. Same mother, different baby daddy.
If someone could recommend a simple, easy to use photo upload site that is not photo bucket, I would be able to post pics in this thread and others. My photobucket is so junked up I cant be bothered with it at the moment.

psychopathetic
04-28-16, 09:25 AM
I mainly use these 2:

TinyPic (http://tinypic.com/)
&
imgur (http://imgur.com/)

sarahsweets
04-28-16, 09:29 AM
I mainly use these 2:

TinyPic (http://tinypic.com/)
&
imgur (http://imgur.com/)

Which one do you find most reliable and useful for addf?

psychopathetic
04-28-16, 09:33 AM
I like tinypic because you can easily adjust the size of your photos, and I've never had issues with tinypic. Been using the site for years :)

Laserbeak
04-30-16, 11:11 PM
One of my cats loved bags. You'd go to pick up what you thought was an empty shopping bag and it would weigh like 20+ pounds. And the reason for that was she didn't like only empty bags, we often saw her tail undulating like some charmed snake sticking out of the cat food bag!

Greyhound1
04-30-16, 11:36 PM
My cat wants to eat anything I am eating at least once, usually much more.

He will eat celery, cashews, almonds, Doritos, peanut butter, carrots, peas, rice, strawberries, blue berries, my wife's flowers, house plants and much more. He goes crazy over my protein shake.

Greyhound1
05-01-16, 11:36 AM
My cat meows at me while I shower. He is telling me to hurry up. He loves to go in the shower after me, searching for water. He has a bowl of fresh filtered water but prefers to drink from the shower. :doh:

midnightstar
05-01-16, 11:47 AM
My cat meows at me while I shower. He is telling me to hurry up. He loves to go in the shower after me, searching for water. He has a bowl of fresh filtered water but prefers to drink from the shower. :doh:

Tigger does that when I'm in the bath, only with her it's a case of "what is that wet stuff you're in Mum? can I eat it or play with it?" :lol:

DJ Bill
05-01-16, 01:26 PM
The boy cat has a thing for tape...He licks the sides of masking tape rolls or the sticky side of packing tape....He gets to wander everywhere including the packing area.....I had to get the tape dispensers way up off the counter as he'd ruin 3-4 inches while I was sleeping. And now he has taken to flopping the garbage cans over so he can explore....gotta love him!

Yesterday he was climbing around the shelves above the counter and scared the bejeezes out of one of our guys when out of nowhere he started to lick the guy's head. It mas made worse because the human didn't know he was up there..