View Full Version : Summer Break

ADHDWife&Mom
04-27-16, 09:27 PM
What do you do to help your ADHD child during summer break? Do try to keep them on some sort of schedule still? Do you have them work on school work during those months? Those that use meds, do they take a break from them during summer months? Ive been reading and it seems like they used to suggest taking breaks from meds during non school days but now they no longer think that is needed. (my child isnt taking meds but id like to know in case we do start them at some point).

This is really the first year where his ADHD has become a major problem in school and now Im worried about summer. We have always used summer break as a true break where he was allowed to get up when we wants (he is an early riser anyway), stay up an hour or two late, not do school work at all besides reading for pleasure (he reads a ton on his own), and he continues his normal karate classes. Im wondering if this is a good idea or if I should require more. It seems hard to continue in a routine when 7hrs of school is absent from his schedule.

sarahsweets
04-28-16, 04:10 AM
When my kids were younger, I gave them about a week or so of getting up when they wanted and basically being summer slugs but then created structure for them. ADHD kids need structure. I always kept my kids on meds during summer breaks. When they got older and were well aware of why they took meds and why they needed them, I let them dictate whether they wanted to continue the meds over breaks. This was when they were about 13 or 14. My two oldest decided that they didnt want to take meds anymore when they were each 15 or 16 so I let them decide that for themselves. Some people thought that letting them make that choice was a bad idea but they were old enough where I couldnt force them to take meds if they didnt want to. My youngest could never tolerate stimulants so its not been an issue. I would say that as long as meds arent giving you any trouble that your child stay on them in the summer because adhd goes beyond school and school work. Its a lifetime, chronic condition and structure to his days will help him to feel safe and in control. It doesnt have to involve school work unless you feel it will help him next year.

ADHDWife&Mom
04-28-16, 11:43 AM
When my kids were younger, I gave them about a week or so of getting up when they wanted and basically being summer slugs but then created structure for them. ADHD kids need structure. I always kept my kids on meds during summer breaks. When they got older and were well aware of why they took meds and why they needed them, I let them dictate whether they wanted to continue the meds over breaks. This was when they were about 13 or 14. My two oldest decided that they didnt want to take meds anymore when they were each 15 or 16 so I let them decide that for themselves. Some people thought that letting them make that choice was a bad idea but they were old enough where I couldnt force them to take meds if they didnt want to. My youngest could never tolerate stimulants so its not been an issue. I would say that as long as meds arent giving you any trouble that your child stay on them in the summer because adhd goes beyond school and school work. Its a lifetime, chronic condition and structure to his days will help him to feel safe and in control. It doesnt have to involve school work unless you feel it will help him next year.

Thank you for your response. Could you elaborate on "created structure for them"? This is the part Im trying to figure out with the 7 hour hole in the middle of the day where school used to be. Did you put them in camps or create lessons or them? Did you require them to do school work during the summer? I know that in the past our summers have been crazy because he gets soooo bored and I have to figure out something to do with him constantly or he either whines or gets into trouble. Id love to do camps but they are pretty expensive and I cant really do that all summer long (Im a SAHM and have a younger child as well).

Caco3girl
04-28-16, 02:24 PM
Aren't there any neighborhood kids to play with?

ADHDWife&Mom
04-28-16, 08:31 PM
Aren't there any neighborhood kids to play with?

Yes there are neighborhood kids to play with but they are not out a consistent time. They are also quite a bit younger than him (it seems like boy over the age of 8 prefer to spend their time indoors playing video games around here and we dont allow that). And unfortunately, we live in a VERY hot climate and much of the summer it is too hot to play outside during much of the day. We'll try to set up play times with friends but its difficult to be consistent in the summer because people travel and have other plans.

sarahsweets
04-29-16, 04:05 AM
Thank you for your response. Could you elaborate on "created structure for them"? This is the part Im trying to figure out with the 7 hour hole in the middle of the day where school used to be. Did you put them in camps or create lessons or them? Did you require them to do school work during the summer? I know that in the past our summers have been crazy because he gets soooo bored and I have to figure out something to do with him constantly or he either whines or gets into trouble. Id love to do camps but they are pretty expensive and I cant really do that all summer long (Im a SAHM and have a younger child as well).

I could never afford camp much either and I always had a younger child at home with me. Occasionally the kids would get a week or two at a camp but not much.
By structure I meant getting everyone up at the same time everyday. When they were little I figured out that letting them wake when they wanted was the kiss of death, because that would lead to meal times being off and bedtimes being off. When the kids were younger, I was a nazi with their bedtimes. They always had the same bedtimes unless we were doing things special or away on vacation.
I tried to offer school work but I wasnt able to be consistent with it.
My oldest had early intervention services when he was little and 2 out of the three kids had a little pre-k type stuff because of the adhd and some mild social delays.

Mostly it was just trying to keep everyone on the same basic schedule,even me.
we had lots of day trips. We could never afford elaborate vacations unless my inlaws took us so we had to make do.