View Full Version : New with big headaches about meds....

AddAnxiousMe
04-27-16, 10:26 PM
Hello, Newb here. I have been a longtime (30 years) sufferer of panic disorder, OCD and depression and have recently been persuaded by my doctor to try a stimulant for my diagnosed ADD. He thinks that I have untreated ADD that is making me more depressed and even anxious. As you can guess, I'm scared poopless to try the medicine. And to make things worse, the pharmacy didn't give me Dexedrine, as my Dr. prescribed, but Adderall! He wrote dextroamphetamine on the script, but the bottle I got said "amphetamine salts" and "substitute for Adderall." I called my doc to check and he was peeved, he said it has been happening a lot lately when he tries to prescribe Dexedrine. He said that sometimes when he calls to try and get a patient Dexedrine, they will say "we can give them Adderall." He said they act like he's prescribing poison when he tries to order Dexedrine. And I already took a quarter of a 10mg tablet before I found out. My doctor said that he prefers Dexedrine over Adderall because it seems to cause less jitters or anxiety in his patients. So hearing that didn't really make me feel any better:rolleyes:. He knew I was resistant for years to touch even caffeine do to panic and anxiety problems. I told him I didn't really feel anything from the 2.5mg dose, so he tells me to continue working up to 10mgs of the Adderall and if I can't tolerate it he will make sure I get Dexedrine. Is there really that much of a difference between the two?
BTW, I am also on Effexor, Valium regularly, and Inderal as needed.
Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Greyhound1
04-27-16, 11:57 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I had some negative some side effects from Adderall IR (tablet). Mostly anxiety and some heart palpitations.

I switched to Dextroamphetamine IR and have much less nervous system side effects and anxiety when it wears off. It feels much cleaner for me than Adderall.

Dextroamphetamine IR (tablet) is generic for brand name Dexedrine IR. They no longer make Dexedrine IR (tablet) which was very confusing for my pharmacy, Dr. and insurance co.

If your Dr. intended for you to be on IR Dexedrine that may be the problem if script was written for Dexedrine IR (tablet form). That's what happened to me. I had to figure it all out for the professionals.

If the Dr. wants you on time-released dextroamphetamine than a Dexedrine script would be fine. Dexedrine only comes in time-released. Only generic dextroamphetamine comes in IR form. Name brand Zenzedi also has dextroamphetamine IR.

It took me 1.5 mos. trying to get my script filled and all the "professionals" on the same page. I had to show the pharmacist on my cell phone that dextroamphetamine generic comes in IR. He was adamant there was only extended release.

I changed pharmacies.:)

That is strange they would fill a script written for Dexedrine with Adderall IR. I would have to get it str8 with pharmacy manger. That seems unethical.

AddAnxiousMe
04-28-16, 12:17 AM
Thanks very much for that info, I really appreciate it. My doctor did write dextroamphetamine IR on the script, he did not put Dexedrine at all. Maybe I should go back to the pharmacy tomorrow and explain this. The pharmacist made a copy of my prescription because he had to order the drug. He told me to bring the original script with me when it came in. So he had two chances to see what was written on there.
BTW, you said that you developed anxiety when the Adderall wore off??? Did you have any problems while on it (still in your system)?
My Dr. did make it clear that he prefers dextroamphetamine over Adderall, so why should I try to get on something else that he didn't prescribe and that may scare me away from something helpful altogether? I'm nervous enough about stimulants since I have panic disorder.
Again, thank you very much!

Greyhound1
04-28-16, 01:01 AM
I didn't really have anxiety while it was working. It worked pretty well once I adjusted to it. Just in the evenings when it wore off, I would feel strange. I did have some unusual heart rhythms or palpitations occasionally at night while trying to go to sleep.

Adderall contains 25% l-amphetamine and 75% dextroamphetamine. The l-amp seems to overstimulate my CNS and caused the side effects.

I hope you find what works best for you!

AddAnxiousMe
04-28-16, 01:27 AM
Thanks very much, I'll straighten this out with the pharmacy and see how the Dexedrine works. I here mostly good about it, compared to most other stimulants.
Take care:).

sarahsweets
04-28-16, 04:39 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I had some negative some side effects from Adderall IR (tablet). Mostly anxiety and some heart palpitations.

I switched to Dextroamphetamine IR and have much less nervous system side effects and anxiety when it wears off. It feels much cleaner for me than Adderall.

Dextroamphetamine IR (tablet) is generic for brand name Dexedrine IR. They no longer make Dexedrine IR (tablet) which was very confusing for my pharmacy, Dr. and insurance co.

If your Dr. intended for you to be on IR Dexedrine that may be the problem if script was written for Dexedrine IR (tablet form). That's what happened to me. I had to figure it all out for the professionals.

If the Dr. wants you on time-released dextroamphetamine than a Dexedrine script would be fine. Dexedrine only comes in time-released. Only generic dextroamphetamine comes in IR form. Name brand Zenzedi also has dextroamphetamine IR.

It took me 1.5 mos. trying to get my script filled and all the "professionals" on the same page. I had to show the pharmacist on my cell phone that dextroamphetamine generic comes in IR. He was adamant there was only extended release.

I changed pharmacies.:)

That is strange they would fill a script written for Dexedrine with Adderall IR. I would have to get it str8 with pharmacy manger. That seems unethical.

Ive never heard of this before, My doc always writes dexedrine and the pharmacy fills it with the generic.

Little Nut
04-28-16, 09:42 AM
I have had the pharmacist ask if the prescribing Dr. meant cap/Spansule. Then they were unsure if it was available IR anymore. I provided the answers, but TBH not sure what I would have been dispensed if I wasn't there.

DrZoidberg
04-28-16, 10:25 AM
Hello, Newb here. I have been a longtime (30 years) sufferer of panic disorder, OCD and depression and have recently been persuaded by my doctor to try a stimulant for my diagnosed ADD. He thinks that I have untreated ADD that is making me more depressed and even anxious. As you can guess, I'm scared poopless to try the medicine. And to make things worse, the pharmacy didn't give me Dexedrine, as my Dr. prescribed, but Adderall! He wrote dextroamphetamine on the script, but the bottle I got said "amphetamine salts" and "substitute for Adderall." I called my doc to check and he was peeved, he said it has been happening a lot lately when he tries to prescribe Dexedrine. He said that sometimes when he calls to try and get a patient Dexedrine, they will say "we can give them Adderall." He said they act like he's prescribing poison when he tries to order Dexedrine. And I already took a quarter of a 10mg tablet before I found out. My doctor said that he prefers Dexedrine over Adderall because it seems to cause less jitters or anxiety in his patients. So hearing that didn't really make me feel any better:rolleyes:. He knew I was resistant for years to touch even caffeine do to panic and anxiety problems. I told him I didn't really feel anything from the 2.5mg dose, so he tells me to continue working up to 10mgs of the Adderall and if I can't tolerate it he will make sure I get Dexedrine. Is there really that much of a difference between the two?
BTW, I am also on Effexor, Valium regularly, and Inderal as needed.
Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

I've been on Adderall for years now. Works great for me. To my knowledge science doesn't know why any of these work for ADHD. It's just a mystery. Which is why effects and side-effects can be somewhat random between patients. The only way to find out is to just try them out. I burned through all manner of pills before I landed on Adderall.

My best advice is to write a detailed diary whenever you start a new med. Makes it a hell of a lot easier to compare them.

Greyhound1
04-28-16, 06:29 PM
Ive never heard of this before, My doc always writes dexedrine and the pharmacy fills it with the generic.

Do you take spanuals or tablets? Since Dexedrine only is available only in spanuals it would be normal to fill with generic dextroamphetamine spanuals.

My problem was that my Dr. wrote out script for Dexedrine IR. I think since they no longer make an IR version, they don't consider there to be a generic version.

I was told by Blue Cross/Blue Shield & my pharmacy that there was no generic available for Dexedrine IR. I argued with both about dextroamphetamine IR being equivalent but for some reason they don't have it listed as a generic version.:scratch:

Finally, I went back to my Dr. and had her make out the script for dextroamphetamine IR and have had no problem since.

sarahsweets
04-28-16, 08:28 PM
up until last month it was spansules and ir.
Do you take spanuals or tablets? Since Dexedrine only is available only in spanuals it would be normal to fill with generic dextroamphetamine spanuals.

My problem was that my Dr. wrote out script for Dexedrine IR. I think since they no longer make an IR version, they don't consider there to be a generic version.

I was told by Blue Cross/Blue Shield & my pharmacy that there was no generic available for Dexedrine IR. I argued with both about dextroamphetamine IR being equivalent but for some reason they don't have it listed as a generic version.:scratch:

Finally, I went back to my Dr. and had her make out the script for dextroamphetamine IR and have had no problem since.

AddAnxiousMe
04-29-16, 05:52 AM
The spanules are extended release? I had 90 percent of my large bowel removed and was told by my surgeon to avoid extended release meds because they may go through too quickly. That is why my psych doc gives me immediate release Effexor. I also had thyroid cancer back in 04 and had my entire gland removed. I am on .175mgs of Synthroid that keeps my TSH very low in order to prevent a possible relapse of the cancer. So I guess it makes me extra nervous to be trying a stimulant while on Effexor and Synthroid. I already suffer from heart skips. My Psych doc knows all of this and is okay with it (I guess since it's not him taking all of this stuff:D).