View Full Version : Dex medication effect very minimal

Nudist
04-29-16, 06:36 AM
I was recently diagnosed with ADHD. My psychiatrist is trying me on a course of dexamphetamine. Over the last 2 1/2 weeks I have gradually increased the dose from half a 5 mg tablet three times a day to one tablet three times a day and finally for the last five days two tablets taken three times a day. I have noticed that having taken the tablet l am more alert which is good because in the past I have fallen asleep. But apart from this the only other effect is feeling a bit buzzy in the head (like ive drunk too much coffee).
I'm bit disappointed with the results and wondered if anyone else had experienced something similar.

sarahsweets
04-29-16, 08:17 AM
I did not experience that, for me when I noticed it right away. I was thinking though, sometimes breaking the dose up multiple times a day can help. So for example, if you are prescribed 2 5mg's 3 times a day, how about taking 1 5mg 6 times a day about 3 hours a part. It could be that the amount of medication is good for you but the timing is off.

Little Nut
04-29-16, 10:27 AM
l am more alert which is good because in the past I have fallen asleep. the only other effect is feeling a bit buzzy in the head (like ive drunk too much coffee).

anyone else had experienced something similar.

- Pls Ignore my editing of the quote. It is to help make my responses "clearer" for me. -

Kinda. For me, generally;

If I take too low a dose or allow it to wear off before the next dose I would get sleepy and I may or may not see an improvement in my symptoms.
If I take an "appropriate" dose, my symptoms are adequately addressed and no sleepiness.
If I take a higher dose, my symptoms would have varying degrees of improvement, I would be hyperfocused, and I would likely get a pretty good euphoric kick starting about 15 minutes after dosing and lasting for an hour or so.
Is this similar, Nudist?

Socaljaxs
04-29-16, 10:45 AM
I did not experience that, for me when I noticed it right away. I was thinking though, sometimes breaking the dose up multiple times a day can help. So for example, if you are prescribed 2 5mg's 3 times a day, how about taking 1 5mg 6 times a day about 3 hours a part. It could be that the amount of medication is good for you but the timing is off.

For me, I've found this method to be the most successful overall. For some reason breaking up doses and taking it this way has made a huge difference in my medication

Nudist
04-29-16, 05:20 PM
- Pls Ignore my editing of the quote. It is to help make my responses "clearer" for me. -

Kinda. For me, generally;

If I take too low a dose or allow it to wear off before the next dose I would get sleepy and I may or may not see an improvement in my symptoms.
If I take an "appropriate" dose, my symptoms are adequately addressed and no sleepiness.
If I take a higher dose, my symptoms would have varying degrees of improvement, I would be hyperfocused, and I would likely get a pretty good euphoric kick starting about 15 minutes after dosing and lasting for an hour or so.
Is this similar, Nudist?

I have a medical 30 authority that limits me to 15 mg per day (that's three tablets over a 12 hour day - one every four hours ). As I said I did double the dose to see what effect it would have while I'm still trialing the drug. I could be continue to raise to 60 mg a day but I'm gonna run out before my prescription can be renewed No feelings of euphoria nothing of the sort at any time during my trial.No improvement No No hyperfocus still getting random thoughts as I have had during the whole of my life (57 years).

Question
05-03-16, 02:56 PM
If its not working for you, your best bet is to let your doctor know and he will probably suggest another medication for you. Its not unusual to have one medication work better than another.

ginniebean
05-03-16, 04:46 PM
For me it was not minimal but it was subtle. It actually was very effective but i had trouble noticing the difference.

Pilgrim
05-06-16, 04:23 AM
They start slow in order to have no serious adverse affects ( seizures ), what your going through shows that you might Might have to be titrated upward in the future. This is however between you and your dr. Enjoy the ride, perhaps becuse you see the possibilities your being strident about effects. Enjoy the ride, keep your dr in the loop, drink plenty of water and keep a mood diary if you can. This is all good fodder. Unfortunately start slow.

Pilgrim
05-06-16, 04:26 AM
Sorry I didn't read the op very well.

Little Nut
05-06-16, 12:30 PM
I have a medical 30 authority that limits me to 15 mg per day (that's three tablets over a 12 hour day - one every four hours ). As I said I did double the dose to see what effect it would have while I'm still trialing the drug. I could be continue to raise to 60 mg a day but I'm gonna run out before my prescription can be renewed No feelings of euphoria nothing of the sort at any time during my trial.No improvement No No hyperfocus still getting random thoughts as I have had during the whole of my life (57 years).

Yeah, so at 30mg/day NADA and you went back to 15mg/day. Id call the Doc and lay out what effects at 15mg/d and what at 30mg/d and get his input. As for bumping to 60mg/d, your instinct to stop at 30mg/d is a good one. Pls Let Me Know, -LN

aeon
05-06-16, 01:19 PM
I do not take dex IR, but I have taken the dex CR spansules.

My typical prescription is for 60mg/day, but as part of a medical study I was tested at 120mg/day, the dose at which there was the greatest improvement in my cognitive function.

Some folks have brains that require a larger dose of dextroamphetamine to show marked efficacy in treatment of their ADHD.

Cheers,
Ian