View Full Version : Irrational Fear?

YoungADDiction
04-29-16, 11:28 AM
Hi!
This is literally my first time ever on forum :o
Anyways, I've recently been diagnosed with ADHD by my doctor, and I've been prescribed 10mg of Ritalin, once per day (I am 180 CM and 120 pounds).
The Ritalin gives me REALLY bad anxiety about twice an hour, for 10 minute long periods. During these "Anxiety Attacks" I have a thought in the back of my brain that scares me to death.
What if I don't actually have ADHD? What if I'm getting drugged up for no reason? What if other people can just focus better than I can? I'm only 13 and i want to have a future, not become a druggie y'know. It's also like, ADHD is one of those things where there is no sure way to know if you have it. The meeting with the doctor took all of 10 minutes to get diagnosed and get the pills. Thing is, university students get Adderall and other drugs in the same way I did, but i am legitimately experiencing symptoms.
Also, if i was misdiagnosed and i take my 60 pills of Ritalin, would it mess me up? Would i have withdrawals?

PS: The Ritalin works REALLY well. It's like a night and day difference. Is that normal?

sarahsweets
04-29-16, 02:01 PM
Hi!
This is literally my first time ever on forum :o
Anyways, I've recently been diagnosed with ADHD by my doctor, and I've been prescribed 10mg of Ritalin, once per day (I am 180 CM and 120 pounds).
The Ritalin gives me REALLY bad anxiety about twice an hour, for 10 minute long periods. During these "Anxiety Attacks" I have a thought in the back of my brain that scares me to death.
Ritalin gave me horrible mood swings so maybe its the wrong med for you.

What if I don't actually have ADHD? What if I'm getting drugged up for no reason? What if other people can just focus better than I can? I'm only 13 and i want to have a future, not become a druggie y'know.
Woa..slow your roll. Why would trying out a medication that may help you be the same as being 'drugged' up? Does that mean anyone who takes medication for anything is drugged up? And taking meds as prescribed will not turn you into a druggie.

It's also like, ADHD is one of those things where there is no sure way to know if you have it. The meeting with the doctor took all of 10 minutes to get diagnosed and get the pills. Thing is, university students get Adderall and other drugs in the same way I did, but i am legitimately experiencing symptoms.
Also, if i was misdiagnosed and i take my 60 pills of Ritalin, would it mess me up? Would i have withdrawals?

PS: The Ritalin works REALLY well. It's like a night and day difference. Is that normal?
Well did your parent find this doctor for you? Do you trust their decision making skills? What did the doctor actually do to evaluate you? Was a parent or school person involved? If you have any doubts about your diagnosis, you should first express these issues to a parent and make a follow up appointment with the doctor and ask him about it.

namazu
04-29-16, 02:23 PM
Hi, and welcome to ADDF! As a moderator, I moved your post to the Ritalin section, where (even if you're 13) you are likely to get more/better replies.

As a regular old member, here are my thoughts...

If the medication otherwise helps a lot, but gives you anxiety attacks, it's possible that the dose is too high. You might do better with 5mg of Ritalin for that balance between the medication helping you and causing unwanted side effects.

If you eat foods or drink beverages containing caffeine, be aware that caffeine in combination with stimulant medications can contribute to side effects like jitteriness and anxiety. So you may want to stay away from caffeinated soft drinks, tea, etc. while taking Ritalin.

It's also possible, as Sarahasweets said, that Ritalin (or stimulants in general) might not be the best medication for you. If a lower dose of Ritalin doesn't help enough while getting rid of the anxiety attacks, it would be worthwhile to ask the doctor about alternatives. Stimulants as a group are considered first-line ("best first choice") treatments for ADHD. Still, sometimes people respond better or worse to different stimulants or even different formulations (instant release vs. extended release), and some people do better with non-stimulant medications.

I'll also echo what Sarahsweets said about "drugs" -- in this case, medication prescribed to treat diagnosed ADHD. Trying ADHD medication for a month, and taking them only as prescribed, does not make you a "druggie". You are unlikely to become "dependent" on them (physiologically speaking) after a month of taking a low dose as prescribed, either. So -- no withdrawal and no being "messed up" long term if you decide after a month that it's not for you.

While there are no biomarkers or tests that can reliably diagnose ADHD at the individual level (yet), that doesn't mean that ADHD is fake. A thorough evaluation, including observation and information about your current symptoms; a full medical, developmental, educational, and family history; and input from people who know you well in different settings (home, school, other activities) is currently considered the "best practice" for diagnosing ADHD.

If you feel that your evaluation wasn't thorough, and if your parents agree, it might be worthwhile to seek a second opinion. There are other conditions or circumstances that can mimic ADHD or exist alongside it (for example, anxiety). If there's something else going on that might look like ADHD and cause some similar symptoms, or something else in addition to the ADHD, it would be good to know about it, because that can help you and your doctor and your family figure out how to manage it best.

Meanwhile, I'd report back to your doctor that the medication seems to be helping with (whatever symptoms it's helping with) but also causing anxiety attacks. See what s/he has to say.

YoungADDiction
04-29-16, 02:40 PM
I read this post back and it kinda gave off the impression like I was attacking meds or people who used them, i did not at all mean it like that. I was just scared that if i was misdiagnosed, and taking medication for something i dont have, it could have negative side effects. Anyways, in terms of the anxiety attacks, I got one today. Only one. Which is an astronomical improvement from yesterday. In terms of how my meeting with the doctor went (My parents were there) I kinda just told him my sneaking suspicion of having ADHD, and he asked me a couple questions about school and such, and in 10 minutes i was off with a prescription. What really made me worry was the drastic improvement of my attention. It really is huge. I just didn't know what to expect and this kind of caught me off guard, leading me to think i dont actually have ADHD. Also, its a huge relief to know that withdrawals and addictions aren't something i should worry about. Just one more question though, i noticed the Ritalin only lasts about 4 to 4 and a half ours, which isn't even a full school day. So, would taking an extra pill in the morning counteract this (My doctor said take an extra pill if it doesnt work for you) or should i split my pills or what?

Anyways, thanks to all that helped me out.

Greyhound1
04-29-16, 04:42 PM
I read this post back and it kinda gave off the impression like I was attacking meds or people who used them, i did not at all mean it like that. I was just scared that if i was misdiagnosed, and taking medication for something i dont have, it could have negative side effects.

Anyways, in terms of the anxiety attacks, I got one today. Only one. Which is an astronomical improvement from yesterday. In terms of how my meeting with the doctor went (My parents were there) I kinda just told him my sneaking suspicion of having ADHD, and he asked me a couple questions about school and such, and in 10 minutes i was off with a prescription.

What really made me worry was the drastic improvement of my attention. It really is huge. I just didn't know what to expect and this kind of caught me off guard, leading me to think i dont actually have ADHD. Also, its a huge relief to know that withdrawals and addictions aren't something i should worry about. Just one more question though, i noticed the Ritalin only lasts about 4 to 4 and a half ours, which isn't even a full school day.

So, would taking an extra pill in the morning counteract this (My doctor said take an extra pill if it doesnt work for you) or should i split my pills or what?

Anyways, thanks to all that helped me out.

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for clarifying about your concern of possibly being misdiagnosed. Many of us with ADHD get misjudged or labeled negatively for taking our medication responsibly.

I would follow your Dr.'s suggestions. Try taking one in the morning and 1 about 4 hours later. Hopefully, you can get coverage for 8-9 hours. You should confirm with your Dr. on the second dose timing. I am not sure if you are taking tablet which is IR (instant release) or capsule ER (extended release).

Usually, with IR you would take a second dose 4-6 hours later. Not sure about ER.

Hang around and enjoy the forum.
Best wishes

Socaljaxs
04-29-16, 04:59 PM
Is anxiety new to you since you started taking medication, or is this something you've been dealing with. Before medication?

It's usually a good indication of having ADHD when medications are working and improving concentration. That's a positive sign not a negative indication.

If you are concerned about your behaviors or how your medications are affecting you I would ask your parents or someone you trust that is close to you to watch you and keep track of your behavior, mood,concentration sleep eating ect and write it down to give to the doctor. It helps having an outside of our own self monitoring us to show extrernal changes from medications

Fuzzy12
04-29-16, 05:31 PM
I initially got very bad anxiety with stimulants but it wore off after a while and after a few months they calmed me down and actually helped reduce anxiety. It is possible though that ritalin is not the right stimulant for you or that the dose is too high.

I can relate to your worries about not having adhd. If you don't trust the assessment you went through it might be worth getting a second opinion. If you do have adhd though don't worry about becoming a druggie. Taking medication that has been prescribed for you for a condition that your genuinely struggling with is perfectly justified. If you had diabetes and had to take insulin you wouldn't feel guilty about that right?

Pilgrim
04-29-16, 06:45 PM

This is the proof that the medication is a positive for you. Anxiety, as Fuzzy said generally disappears mostly.

One of the disadvantages of Stimulints is you will receive some anxiety, interestingly that anxiety usually attaches itself to a thought or mindset that needs work or has to be changed. That's my experience.

YoungADDiction
04-29-16, 11:25 PM
One of the disadvantages of Stimulints is you will receive some anxiety, interestingly that anxiety usually attaches itself to a thought or mindset that needs work or has to be changed. That's my experience.

I couldn't agree with this more. I find that as I delve deeper into this new community, I can't help but notice that my fear and anxiety are both vanishing quickly. I really appreciate you guys helping me out like this. I'd also like to add that I think the main reason I had my fear was because of school believe it or not. In health, we're taught that drugs are these terrible things, and we were sort of just shown the dark side of things. It really makes you wonder how common this actually is among newly diagnosed people...

sarahsweets
04-30-16, 03:33 AM
I couldn't agree with this more. I find that as I delve deeper into this new community, I can't help but notice that my fear and anxiety are both vanishing quickly. I really appreciate you guys helping me out like this. I'd also like to add that I think the main reason I had my fear was because of school believe it or not. In health, we're taught that drugs are these terrible things, and we were sort of just shown the dark side of things. It really makes you wonder how common this actually is among newly diagnosed people...

I believe this to be true. I know with the prescription drug epidemic, and the use of stuff like adderall as performance enhancers, that schools try and institute a one-size fits all sort of curriculum to address it. They dont take other things into consideration or address why some people should take certain things. They just address why you shouldnt. My son is 20 now but in 10th grade he came home and talked to me about why his dexedrine had the word 'amphetamine' on the bottle. He told me what he learned and we had a long discussion about what the school's point was and how they have to be very specific when addressing drug abuse. In fact, Ill shut up about schools and substance abuse awareness because it makes me kind of nuts to think about they way they deal with it.

BellaVita
04-30-16, 06:36 AM
Welcome to the forums YoungADDiction!

It is so nice to have someone your age here - I've never seen a 13 year old on these forums before. :)

You must be pretty smart to have found this place. :)

Trust your doctor. You said you have real symptoms, and since you are young I'm assuming you've had these symptoms for most of your life. I'm glad to hear the Ritalin works so well for you.

Please do not lose hope if it one day stops working - there is another class of medication (amphetamines) that often works very well too.

I say this because some people find that Ritalin doesn't work very well for them. But there are success stories so hey, if it works for you then it works for you!

Again, a very warm welcome to the forums. :grouphug: