View Full Version : Now I really lost my job

TurtleBrain
04-29-16, 03:48 PM
Well, on the bright side, I finally got to pay off the college tuition I owed so I can pick up my degree. A bachelor's degree in liberal studies is probably not very useful, but better than nothing.

Also I can use some of the left over money and save up some unemployment benefits to buy a few things. I'm really hoping I can save up enough for a new computer with a better cpu and graphics card. I want to record myself playing conputer games, but my laptop is a bit slow.

I was going to quit my job regardless, I got sick and tired of catching colds from the school kids (which is inevitable working at a school).

I was told that the teachers said that I was distracting the kids from school work. Truth is, they distract themselves and it doesn't help if if they can easily distract me, thus making themselves more distracted. Geesh, when I heard about this, it broght back memories of the things teachers wrote on my report card when I was in elementary school.

I remember being so easily distracted in college too that one time I when my class was visiting the library, I got carried away talking to someone from outside the class. Next thing I knew, my class had already left the library. My professor wasn't happy with me.

midnightstar
04-29-16, 04:03 PM
Oh no sorry to hear you're now unemployed Turtle :( :grouphug:

How easy is it to get work in your area? :grouphug:

TurtleBrain
04-29-16, 04:06 PM
Finding work where I live is nearly impossible if you have no driver's license. Of course, I don't have one, so it's gonna be rough.

midnightstar
04-29-16, 04:08 PM
Is moving to a new area an option? :grouphug:

TurtleBrain
04-29-16, 04:45 PM
I moved to where I live precisely because it's cheaper than living in a big city. Ironically, if I found a job in a big city like philly or nyc, I wouldn't have enough money to even live nearby and I'd probably still need a car if I wanted to commute from far away.

That's not to say finding work in a big city is any easier, but transportation would sure be easier (not necessarily safer though).

acdc01
04-29-16, 06:39 PM
Sorry about your job.

I ended up moving back to my home town cause I ultimately missed family and flying to see them took up too much of my vacation time that I could spend elsewhere. So personally I'm not a huge advocate of moving for jobs.

But, if you are open to moving - I personally think there are cities out there that are both transit/walk friendly and the cost of living isn't too high. It's the midsized cities where you will find this. Not NY or SF or something big. Would you want to move cause maybe people here could name some if you don't think you'll be able to find a job and do want to move?

TurtleBrain
04-30-16, 04:45 AM
Also, apparently the teachers were annoyed by me telling them when I have to go to the bathroom. Well, sorry, but I didn't know you could just walk outside the classroom without the teacher knowing.

I guess I also should have just tattled whenever a student doesn't stay focused. I guess my job required the kids to hate their assistants. If teachers want a snitch as an assistant, good luck with that. I hope the students hate their teachers even more than they already did once they notice my absence. If making students hate the teacher makes the teacher's job easier to comply with common core bs, then it sure sucks to be them and I never want to be a teacher.

My job title should have been "Teacher's Snitch".

midnightstar
04-30-16, 01:27 PM
Maybe teaching assistant isn't the right job for you turtle? What did you study? :grouphug: Can't remember if you already said elsewhere on the forum what you studied and don't want to be searching through the forum looking for a post when I wouldn't know what post it's meant to be :o :grouphug:

seemingly
04-30-16, 02:03 PM

Argh, sorry about that. I live in NYC, and life here you have already summarized well in your post above

TurtleBrain
04-30-16, 02:31 PM
I already mentioned my useless liberal studies degree in the first post of this thread... well it seems pretty useless to me anyway.

I studied some business and criminal justice with the goal of becoming a lawyer, but not sure I'll pass the lsat or have money to go to law school.

midnightstar
04-30-16, 02:35 PM
What does liberal studies mean turtle? :grouphug: What jobs could you do using it? :grouphug:

I didn't re-read your first post when I came online today so couldn't remember everything you said in it :o brain fried :doh:

seemingly
04-30-16, 02:45 PM

What would you *like* to do ? (without "buts")

Little Nut
04-30-16, 03:15 PM
Hi TB, Sorry you lost your job. I think how you characterize your liberal arts degree is overly harsh and misleading. I could start by listing why I think a liberal arts degree is a major asset to you, but I believe you already know what the list would look like. I believe that your liberal arts degree and your time as a teaching assistant (did I get that right?) will be major selling points to prospective employers in the future. I hope when the sting from losing your job lessens a bit, you will believe that too. Lemme Know How it Turns Out, -LN (aka Tom)

TurtleBrain
04-30-16, 03:49 PM
I sort of want to get into programming. Minecraft modifications sort of inspire me to learn java.