View Full Version : Vyvanse for me so far..

SeratoBeats
04-29-16, 09:20 PM
Guys I know this is one of those "oh screw that way too long!" Posts lol

But it would mean a lot to me if you took the time to read my experience and offer any feedback as it seems to be the only (fingers crossed) positivd experience I have ever truly had

So I made a post a few ago about Adderall XR and it just wasn't for me. I would get sleepy and sluggish within an hour of taking it and just felt way too relaxed but almost like a sluggish drained feeling like when your marijuana buzz wears off. (If I need to edit that out for forum policies please let me know lol)

I tried 10,20,30,40.. Just couldn't find a sweet spot. Either I felt tired and crappy or I felt a little anxious and disoriented. Not really bad disorientation but just ... Off. Can't really describe it. Maybe with a bit more patience it could have worked out but I just felt like it was not the fit for me. I'd like to add that the next morning every single morning after I felt hungover and like I got hit by a truck. I've always had problems waking up, really badly. But at this point it was like no bit of will power would allow me to get off the damn bed.

So I started Vyvanse 2 weeks ago at 30mg. Felt nothing, but I also didn't feel drained tired or disoriented which seem like a decent sign. I didn't expect 30mg to do much anyway since it's a starting dose and I seem to metabolize meds very quickly. I also usually get little side effects from any anti depressant I've ever been on as well plus very little withdrawal so I guess I'm some what fortunate.

I had about 7 pills left before I had to check in with my doctor the next day so I figured i would try one 30mg at 11am when I start work and the other in 4 hours. I was worried about taking all at once for whatever reason... Lol

Again first 4 hours nothing, but as the second pill began to take effect at approximately 345 in the afternoon I then began to feel effects.

I felt like I could feel happiness again. No not a euphoric high type of happiness but a feeling of peace. I felt calm, relaxed, didn't feel the urge to shake my legs while I sit in a chair 50mph. My repetitive thoughts and background music loops and unnecessary clutter quieted down and my brain seemed to be more clear. Not a clearness like many claim where they feel like they put on a pair of glasses and a light went off. Just a feeling of slowed down thoughts and a chance for my brain to rest and feel more present.

I felt chipper, content, confident, assertive, an my energy levels were stable. Not a speed feeling but a feeling of not feeling heavy and like I needed to sleep all the time which is how I usually feel regardless of diet and sleep length.

I felt more like I had a purpose during the day and I was more in tune and involved with life in general and out of the dam cloud I'm always in. The little underlying feeling I usually have of feeling off or a little seperate and isolated from every day life wasn't really there anymore.

I'd like to also add that I do have anxiety symptoms. No attacks or anything like that. Just always stressed out and an inner restlessness. My mind always being so scattered and quick seems to give me the symptoms of anxiety which present themselves in my upper chest. The vyvanse removes any of these underlying feelings of anxiety and what's great too is that I don't even notice my heart rate really increase while on this med. slightly elevated but no weird physical feelings pretty much at all!

I never really had an issue with focus in the first place. My issue was always getting distracted by 10 million random thoughts going in my head all day, songs on repeat and words on loop. On top of this I have what some like to call the "over focussed ADD" and the ability to hyperfocus on useless crap. I still do seem to hyperfocus on things but not in an unhealthy obsessive way and my distraction from all my thoughts make me feel more present

Overall this is going well so far

This med is very smooth and I don't really get the come down like I did with the Adderall. I can tell the effects wear off later on in the evening as the mind starts to get a little louder again and eventually my ADD becomes worse than what it was like before the med, much worse lol. Then I sleep, recharge and seem to be ok again back to my regular somewhat tolerable ADD symptoms the next morning.

My only issue is that no matter how much water I drink and how hard I try to keep hydrated, within about 4-5 hours after the second dose I get ridiculously dried mouth. Like pastie and dry and no amount of water fixes it. I don't know if this is a sign that 60 may be too much and I still need to find a sweet spot or I just need to get used to the med

I haven't told my doctor about taking the second dose because he is very old fashioned and likes to be safe and go slow. Which I agree with 100 percent. But he is a very nervous person with these meds and is always reluctant to hand them out. I also do a urine test monthly for him so that he knows I'm taking them and not selling them due to past idiot patients selling them after faking an ADHD diagnosis.

I start the 40mg pill in 2 days anyway so I will no longer do the2 say doses of 30 and I definitely won't consider doing to 40 doses so I will follow my routine and go up slowly as he is indicating even assuming the 40 is most likely going to not work very effectively.

I am so sorry for the long post I'm just a through person and I get a little passionate and talkative sometimes.

The last thing I want to add is

I've always been a clown, doing and saying stupid things, but I've done well at coping and adapting as best as I could in situations at work and other places where I need to be more reserved. I have never really had much social anxiety but I have always been the type of person just never in the mood to have intrikit conversations with people or always just felt hesitant even though a part of me wanted to. Sometimes I would be a little shy but would come around and be more myself when I felt comfortable with the person. It's hard to explain its just a feeling of always having a part of me hold me back from completely being myself that I could never understand. Part of it could be just from stress and having no energy all day from having my mind never shut up.

On the vyvanse now I NEVER SHUT UP. I stroke up convos with random people, I like to engage more and ask questions and seem just overall interested now instead of feeling fake ant not caring. I have nothing holding me back and although I still seem to ramble I am able now to listen more and ask questions.

I am not complaining and I truly do hope these don't seem to you guys like signs of euphoria. I feel more normal and capable and I hope this is how I'm supposed to act and feel. Music gives me the shivers again and everything is just more interesting in life on vyvanse

Please do give me any feedback on my experiences whether it be questions, advice, criticism, hate, love.... Lol

Just something to let me know that what I am experiencing is legitimate, positive and hopefully a permanent improvement while being on stimulant medication. Or at least until tolerance builds over time and I have to adjust from there what I am going to end up doing

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this if you did. Means a lot.

sarahsweets
04-30-16, 03:43 AM
I felt like I could feel happiness again. No not a euphoric high type of happiness but a feeling of peace. I felt calm, relaxed, didn't feel the urge to shake my legs while I sit in a chair 50mph. My repetitive thoughts and background music loops and unnecessary clutter quieted down and my brain seemed to be more clear. Not a clearness like many claim where they feel like they put on a pair of glasses and a light went off. Just a feeling of slowed down thoughts and a chance for my brain to rest and feel more present.

I felt chipper, content, confident, assertive, an my energy levels were stable. Not a speed feeling but a feeling of not feeling heavy and like I needed to sleep all the time which is how I usually feel regardless of diet and sleep length.

I felt more like I had a purpose during the day and I was more in tune and involved with life in general and out of the dam cloud I'm always in. The little underlying feeling I usually have of feeling off or a little seperate and isolated from every day life wasn't really there anymore.

I know you say its not euphoria, but you doubled your dose so it very well could be.

This med is very smooth and I don't really get the come down like I did with the Adderall. I can tell the effects wear off later on in the evening as the mind starts to get a little louder again and eventually my ADD becomes worse than what it was like before the med, much worse lol. Then I sleep, recharge and seem to be ok again back to my regular somewhat tolerable ADD symptoms the next morning.

My only issue is that no matter how much water I drink and how hard I try to keep hydrated, within about 4-5 hours after the second dose I get ridiculously dried mouth. Like pastie and dry and no amount of water fixes it. I don't know if this is a sign that 60 may be too much and I still need to find a sweet spot or I just need to get used to the med

I think it could be a sign that it is too much.

I haven't told my doctor about taking the second dose because he is very old fashioned and likes to be safe and go slow. Which I agree with 100 percent. But he is a very nervous person with these meds and is always reluctant to hand them out. I also do a urine test monthly for him so that he knows I'm taking them and not selling them due to past idiot patients selling them after faking an ADHD diagnosis.

Well, the thing is, how will you explain why you think a higher dose would be better if you dont talk to him about it? And you cant blame him for being nervous about it. You did what he is afraid of patients doing.

On the vyvanse now I NEVER SHUT UP. I stroke up convos with random people, I like to engage more and ask questions and seem just overall interested now instead of feeling fake ant not caring. I have nothing holding me back and although I still seem to ramble I am able now to listen more and ask questions.

I am not complaining and I truly do hope these don't seem to you guys like signs of euphoria. I feel more normal and capable and I hope this is how I'm supposed to act and feel. Music gives me the shivers again and everything is just more interesting in life on vyvanse

The talking thing is also a sign of euphoria or too high of a dose.

Listen, 60 mg isnt ridiculous. Its never a good idea to double your dose of anything without a docs permission because you wont know if 40 or 50 is good if you just jumped to 60, and I dont want you to expect to feel what you felt at 60mg and think the 40mg isnt working either.
You know what I mean? The best thing is how well your symptoms are being managed. All the feelings of wellbeing and positive mood stuff is a bonus, how were your symptoms managed on 60mg as opposed to the 40?
And doctors are very cautious which is why its so important to be patient and follow their directions.

SeratoBeats
04-30-16, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the response

I am currently on 30mg right now and I feel ok but a little sluggish which makes me believe the dose is too low

My doctor wrote me a script to move up to 40mg so I pick up the prescription tomorrow and will be staying at that dose for a week or two to see how things go an adjust accordingly

I will definitely keep you posted. I agree the dose could have been too much and maybe 40 or 50 could be the sweet spot. I hope that will be the case so I don't have to start off on such a high dose to feel the therapeutic effects.

From now on I'm just going to be patient and follow his directions. (You know how hard patience can be lol )

I know you say its not euphoria, but you doubled your dose so it very well could be.

I think it could be a sign that it is too much.

Well, the thing is, how will you explain why you think a higher dose would be better if you dont talk to him about it? And you cant blame him for being nervous about it. You did what he is afraid of patients doing.

The talking thing is also a sign of euphoria or too high of a dose.

Listen, 60 mg isnt ridiculous. Its never a good idea to double your dose of anything without a docs permission because you wont know if 40 or 50 is good if you just jumped to 60, and I dont want you to expect to feel what you felt at 60mg and think the 40mg isnt working either.
You know what I mean? The best thing is how well your symptoms are being managed. All the feelings of wellbeing and positive mood stuff is a bonus, how were your symptoms managed on 60mg as opposed to the 40?
And doctors are very cautious which is why its so important to be patient and follow their directions.

SeratoBeats
04-30-16, 01:55 PM
Update for today

30mg.

Talkative, sluggish feeling slightly going away, steady mood but nothing too positive. A little bit of anxiety symptoms present that weren't present yesterday at x2 30mg doses 4 hours apart. Feeling the inner restlessness again as opposed to the higher dose. Mind is a little slower today after 3 hours of taking dose, but repetitive random thoughts are more pronounced than they were at the dose I was on yesterday.

Don't feel as chipper and outgoing but still seem interested and engaging in convos with patrons at my work place. Not moody but not in a "happy" mood. Don't feel as confident as assertive but also don't feel that "I'm unstoppable" feeling like I did on higher dose which could have indicated the other dose was slightly too high.

Can't wait to try the 40mg dose tomorrow

QuasarMind
05-01-16, 09:48 PM
For me 70mg Vyvanse is about the same as 20mg Adderall but the Vyvanse lasts longer.

I have the opposite kind of ADD as you, I think... I get distracted but I'm more of a "drift off" kind of person than a million thoughts kind of person. I have never had the "too many thoughts" condition you describe, but when I had a very interactive job back in Texas I took Xanax successfully with no side effects. For me that was the best drug ever for anxiety.

I have a hatred for anti-psychotics, but you might want to ask your doctor about if he thinks one would help. If he think's its worth a try, ask him for one that wont hurt your sex life. Also a SSRI, like Celexa or Lexapro might help. The idea behind a stimulant working for your condition or hyperactivity is that your brain is more content so it doesn't need to bounce off and out... if this is the right direction, an SSRI anti-depressant could accomplish the same goal using serotonin instead of dopamine. However, for both stimulants or SSRI's this method of increasing instead of reducing neuro-activity can backfire into the wrong direction again. For me personally, 10mg Lexapro was the only SSRI with no sexual side effects however 20mg did have some. Also, the Lexapro made me feel more wakeful and less sleepy.

SeratoBeats
05-02-16, 12:06 AM
I am on 20mg Cipralex for anxiety. This is the Canadian brand version of Lexapro. It helps a bit but so far no SSRI has given me energy. They all make me more tired and a little flat.

When I take the vyvanse it dosnt give me energy. It keeps the tiredness away and keeps my mood stable and takes away the feeling of being emotionally and physically drained and sluggish

On the 40 today. Not much difference from the 30. Felt like there was a come down 6 hours after the dose.

However I have gotten really bad sleep lately. Getting approx 5 hours and I know how I am I definitely need a good 9-10 hours to function. 8 is ok, anything below and I just never really feel rested. I'm actually heading to bed now so I should get a good 8 hours tonight. Bet I will feel much better tomorrow and the vyvanse will work better as well

Will continue at this dose until next appointment and keep you posted

For me 70mg Vyvanse is about the same as 20mg Adderall but the Vyvanse lasts longer.

I have the opposite kind of ADD as you, I think... I get distracted but I'm more of a "drift off" kind of person than a million thoughts kind of person. I have never had the "too many thoughts" condition you describe, but when I had a very interactive job back in Texas I took Xanax successfully with no side effects. For me that was the best drug ever for anxiety.

I have a hatred for anti-psychotics, but you might want to ask your doctor about if he thinks one would help. If he think's its worth a try, ask him for one that wont hurt your sex life. Also a SSRI, like Celexa or Lexapro might help. The idea behind a stimulant working for your condition or hyperactivity is that your brain is more content so it doesn't need to bounce off and out... if this is the right direction, an SSRI anti-depressant could accomplish the same goal using serotonin instead of dopamine. However, for both stimulants or SSRI's this method of increasing instead of reducing neuro-activity can backfire into the wrong direction again. For me personally, 10mg Lexapro was the only SSRI with no sexual side effects however 20mg did have some. Also, the Lexapro made me feel more wakeful and less sleepy.

SeratoBeats
05-08-16, 01:10 AM
Another update

Been on the 40mg for a week now.

It completely obliterates my anxiety. I'm social, interested in conversing with people, chipper, slower thoughts, removes my looping thoughts and random jiberish swirling in the back of my head all day like monkeys on my back.

I don't feel any more focused, however I never really had a terrible focusing issue to begin with. My mood is steady and my energy level is where it needs to be.

I get extremely mouth pasty throughout the day and have to keep hydrated at all times. The inner restlessness is not as bad and I feel more peaceful. I am more confident assertive and feel more... Normal. I'm still a goofy clown in the workplace making ridiculous comments, but that's just me and I wouldn't trade it. I am more cocky when cracking jokes with others so to speak, but I seem to know ahead of time what is appropriate and when I need to refrain from my shananagins and draw the line what I say lol

My issue is dosing length. I take the 40 at 11am when I still feel sluggish and ****ty after being up for only an hour. Within the next hour I feel myself start to slowly perk up and my mood becomes elevated to where I wan it to be.

By 5pm I start to feel a gradual come down. Mood starts to decline, I begin to yawn every now and then until it hits 6pm when I finish work and come home and begin to become lethargic and not really in the mood to go out afterwards

I am still not getting my 8 hours sleep as I'm a bad bed time procrastinator.

My major issue aside from the ****ty dry mouth that I hope soon goes away... Once the gradual come down happens, I get bad anxiety in my chest. Constant right burning feeling in the upper chest that my Cipralex seemed to get rid of. I have this until I sleep recover and re dose.

The only anxiety symptoms I ever get are the burning tightness in chest which I know are anxiety symptoms. There is no trigger or worry to it. I believe it's just stress related

I am going to move on to 50 come Tuesday and will give another update

I really need vyvanse to be effective much longer than 6 hours. I'll be content and happy with a 10 hour coverage.

Funky1
05-08-16, 01:47 PM
It has been my experience (as well as many others here) that if Vyvanse works somewhat okay for you them dexedrine would most likely work much better. It's essentially the same drug, but Vyvanse is metabolized differently and therefore tends to become inconsistent in its effectiveness over time. I currently take 25mgs ER dex every morning (one 15mg and one 10mg), and either another 10mg ER 6 hours later or 5mg IR tabs every 3 hours as needed depending on my day/plans/needs.

SeratoBeats
05-08-16, 10:34 PM
Yeah I hear the standard dex works much more effectively

I like the simplicity of the extended release pills but I'll look into it. Even if I use dex as sort of a booster to get me that extra bit through the day.

But one step at a time. I'm still trying to find my dosing sweet spot. I still don't have that sharp mental clarity everyone raves about.

Right now it's mainly having a positive effect on my mood, inner restlessness, personality normalization lol, and a little help with getting rid of the looping random thoughts and jiberish cluttering my mind and annoying the **** out of me all day.

I want to push a dose higher to see if it does help with making the vyvanse last longer and also getting to its full potential therapeutic level

I'm going to book an appointment with the doc for either Tuesday or Wednesday and make the move up to 50mg and give updates.

aeon
05-08-16, 10:54 PM
I thought Vyvanse was a wonderful medication, but at its current formulations, I would have to take
3 x 60mg capsules per day to achieve the same efficacy as Dexedrine, and there is no way I could afford
that, much less my doctor prescribe that.

Of all the amphetamine-based medications prescribed for the treatment of ADHD, per milligram, Vyvanse
is the weakest of them all.

By contrast, per milligram, Dexedrine is the strongest of the ADHD-approved medications. At well
over twice the strength of Vyvanse for an equivalent dose, it is the medication of choice for those who
do not achieve satisfactory results from other amphetamine-class medications in a typical clinical approach.

Dose equivalency for ADHD medications (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173221)

Cheers,
Ian

SeratoBeats
05-08-16, 11:25 PM
Awsome thanks I'll check it out

I already told the doc I'm worried I'm gonna have to max out my dose to get the therapeutic effects... Then what?

Wonder if he would consider dex if it's the route I may need to go down the road.

I have 100 percent benefits coverage so price isn't an issue for me I'm greatful. As long as my doc signs off as no sub on the script I get all brands fully covered

I thought Vyvanse was a wonderful medication, but at its current formulations, I would have to take
3 x 60mg capsules per day to achieve the same efficacy as Dexedrine, and there is no way I could afford
that, much less my doctor prescribe that.

Of all the amphetamine-based medications prescribed for the treatment of ADHD, per milligram, Vyvanse
is the weakest of them all.

By contrast, per milligram, Dexedrine is the strongest of the ADHD-approved medications. At well
over twice the strength of Vyvanse for an equivalent dose, it is the medication of choice for those who
do not achieve satisfactory results from other amphetamine-class medications in a typical clinical approach.

Dose equivalency for ADHD medications (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173221)

Cheers,
Ian

BBSurf37
05-25-16, 06:38 PM
I am currently on vyvanse 60mg right now. Since I'm a larger person I was given a higher dose. My issue was unable to focus, concentrate, anxiety doing simple tasks, forgetfulness, and some depression. Taking it has helped fairly significantly with some of my problems but it doesn't solve any of them. I still have to work those out.
I do get dry mouth but I combat that with constant steady drinking of water throughout the day (roughly a 9 hour day). I drink about a gallon of water or 6/ 24oz bottles of water. I workout everyday which helps with attention and motivation. When I workout, vyvanse is usually finished at that time.
while on vyvanse I would be more friendly or outgoing. I seem to be more proactive to start conversations. I never was an introvert anyways but I have noticed I seem to be a little more conversational but nothing extreme. Just normal and friendly.
It seems that the drug is helping you. With more time and maturity you'll adjust and change and most likely smooth out regardless how old you are now. So I'm glad to hear it is helping you as its been helping me as well.

huge jack-mens
09-01-16, 10:47 PM
seratobeats everything you described sounds like me word for word. i had my first 40mg vyvanse dose yesterday and it was almost eerie how content i was. long day where a lot happened but i felt the best i've ever had, almost like a deep-love that just resonates throughout, but of nothing. so calm, confident with yourself, inner peace, motivated af. life didn't feel like a constant struggle every waking moment it just felt OK..and it was wonderful lol

Day 2 of 40mg lasted for the first 6 hours than the 12-14 yesterday. i definitely noticed unwarranted agitation, still had some focus though (but yes not truly yours or my issue either though) but it mostly subsided after 6-7 hours, looking to see how this goes in the future, i've been more productive and positive and content with life in the past 2 days than i've been since....ever

Curious about dexedrine as well but i still have time to see what this is about. probably the first med thats ever helped me in any way lol. looking forward to the coming days

C15H25N3O
09-02-16, 04:35 AM
Mind you have to get used to the med and dont worry about the length of effectiveness.

Dont let threads confuse you.

If you want to boost length of effectiveness simply try not to have a breakfast or stay off food for 3-6h after taking the capsule.

Mention you are in a state of little euphoria which will leave soon and you could experience some side-effects until it works continous and same every day.

Get out, try out yourself and live life.

Cheers,
from a happy Vyvanse-user.

italianstallion
09-08-16, 05:06 PM
Thank you for this post, I felt like I was reading a description of myself as you explained a very similar situation to my own. I started taking vyvanse a little over a year ago. My doc bumped me up gradually and by the time I was heading back to college for the Fall semester he bumped me up to 60mg. I also have ADD and anxiety. Vyvanse helped me all around, I can truly say it was the best semester of my life. I was outgoing and just all around better, more confident, focused on what was important and felt like I knew where I wanted to go with my life for the first time ever.

I think when you are talking about you don't think it is helping you so much with focus, you may not be realizing it. I was also experiencing the other positive effects you listed. When I was first prescribed vyvanse at the lower doses I was working at a summer camp and it was definitely a lot harder to explain to my doctor exactly how well it was helping my focus, as opposed to when I got back to school and was sitting in a classroom and doing written work for hours each day. I was able to get straight As (from mediocre grades my entire unmedicated life), I felt more confident than ever and that vyvanse was helping me all around. One example was when I would play basketball, I felt like I was playing better than I ever had. I think this was from the confidence vyvanse gave me as I wasn't constantly anxious and worrying, I was aggressive on the court because I was confident for the first time and it was great.

I was taking the vyvanse monday-friday and these positive effects lasted for probably at least 4 months/ the entire semester and over the winter break I did not take my medication as my doc believes in med breaks.

Now a year later, I just started my second school year on vyvanse and have not felt the same effects so far. I think this is a dosing issue or tolerance, but it seems weird because I did not take the meds all summer which was about 3 months, so I feel like at least at the start I should have felt the positive effects. I have been struggling to focus on getting work done and wanting to do it. If my focus is any different, it has only been slight and I can just as easily focus on the usual distractions where as I used to be only focused on what I knew was important and needed to be done first. I've also been feeling pretty down, unable to get excited for really anything work or social life related.Maybe I am still just readjusting, I think I will try to see if the situation improves and if not talk to my doctor about the dexedrine someone brought up, as maybe the vyvanse has become too weak now.