View Full Version : Learning disability?

guffman44
05-01-16, 02:59 PM
So I know A.D.D. is kind of disability. But I think I have a learning disability on top of it, or because of it. I cannot learn in classrooms. Period. I also have trouble with auditory instructions or conversations. I took this job in I.T. because I was desperate for a job. It is in technical support over the phone. Absolutely one of the worst jobs imaginable for a person with my type of A.D.D. You have to pay close attention to someone's issue on the phone, then try to come up with a solution. I try to pay attention, but I lose focus halfway through the conversation or the words get jumbled up. I have to have the customer repeat what they said a lot of the time. It's especially tough if they are from another country and have an accent.

But the trouble really starts with my knowledge of the software I support. I studied on my own for a week with kind of bad study materials. Then they put me in class for a week. I swear I walked out of there not much more knowledgeable than when I started. It was almost impossible for me to not only pay attention, but decipher what the instructor was saying. It's like the words get all mixed up, just like when I am on the phone. Almost like an audio dyslexia. I've went through this time and time again. I don't know what to do. My insurance has a high deductible, so I can't afford to get treatment for A.D.D. right now. Anyone have a method they use that helps them learn, if indeed you have the same symptoms I do? I have to go solo on the phone this week, and I'm concerned, to say the least.

Roundmouth
05-01-16, 05:09 PM
I highly recognize this and it gets me into serious trouble all the time. Done so all my life. And I really have no idea what to do about it... I only have some very vague clues.

One thing is that part of it is clearly perceptive, specifically about auditive information. I feel that it's in some part of the brain that's also involved with face recognition and remembering people's names. I also think it has some relation to my dislike of talking on telephone. Maybe the whole thing has to do with poor verbal thinking in general. This it not a part of the ADHD core, it's not inability to maintain attention, but a matter of translation. Transforming the information into something that's cognitively digestible.

I also sense the problem being negatively related to spacial cognition. That's my dominant cognitive function and it dictates how I use all other functions. I'm sure I must appear to be a straight-out verbal thinker, but I'm not. Language is only my second language. In my head, it's actually not at all language but lines, mass, motion and space. I don't think in sounds, words, numbers, etc, neither emotions, but in 3D shapes - sometimes completed with an inner sense of color, smell, taste and sound. That seems to be how I approach everything in life, understanding by making it 3D. I can't use a word only by having it explained. I need to view it from at least three different perspectives, so that it becomes animated. I can't use a mathematic formula without actually understanding it step by step, and that also involves turning it around in my head.

This has become very clear and concrete a few times in my life. 'You need to put focus further ahead', I was told in some situation. What's further ahead...? I realized I was looking at a Van Gogh picture. Spots and fields of color, no detail more important than the other. The most astounding thing about it was that I actually could visualize what I was unable to visualize! I need to see a tunnel, I realized, then I will be very close to handling this matter. Then suddenly, after some genious had guided me through some specific situation step by step - the tunnel opened and in that instant I could grasp the whole thing.

Every new situation is new, though. Having managed to internalize one thing and some other thing, maybe a hundreds of things, doesn't necessarily make next situation any easier.

guffman44
05-01-16, 05:38 PM
I took a friend's Focalin once, and it helped with the ear worms I get. You know, the songs you can't get out of your head, which is also something that bedevils me. Unfortunately, I supplemented with caffeine, which kind of messes my brain up, though I'm somewhat addicted to it. If I just would have stuck with Focalin without the caffeine, I wonder if it would have cleared other things up for me.

Roundmouth
05-01-16, 07:40 PM
I do get some positives from methylphenidate, but it doesn't in any way affect the problems mentioned above.

Donny997
05-07-16, 09:40 PM
You have to pay close attention to someone's issue on the phone, then try to come up with a solution. I try to pay attention, but I lose focus halfway through the conversation or the words get jumbled up. I have to have the customer repeat what they said a lot of the time. It's especially tough if they are from another country and have an accent.

I worked in a similar job and experienced the same problems. If there was any background noise in the room, I often couldn't hear what the customer was saying. The most embarrassing thing is asking customers to repeat their email/ phone number and STILL getting it wrong, or mixing up numbers, etc. I would ask somebody to repeat something, and then immediately go back to not listening. It's soo bad. Conversations are the same way. In general, it takes me a lot more effort than most people for me to process what somebody is saying.

I used to chalk it up to anxiety distracting me. That's part of the issue, but that was before I learned about ADD - I think that's a big factor. But I think it might also be some kind of auditory processing issue. It's a type of learning disability. I'm going to be evaluated for this soon, so I don't know much about it. But I'll comment here if I do get diagnosed with it.

BTW Medication helps with this by making me lock onto what the person is saying. But sometimes I just go back to being my inattentive self despite the meds.

Cheers!