View Full Version : Asking to switch to Vyvance

eddster
05-02-16, 02:38 PM
Hello guys/gals.

Couldn't find a definitive thread that had what I was really looking for.

Currently on 20mg generic Adderall IR and have been for a good 4 months. It's been my first and only prescribed medication and was only recently diagnosed several months ago. Everything has been fine and dandy except that the medication's beneficial effects have been inconsistent and give me a considerably small timespan of productivity. Currently, taking the Barr generic brand btw.

So I found out a good friend of mine takes vyvance and said the effects are more consistent and worked much better for him. Also, his dosage is equivalent his/her 20mg. Knowing each and every person may or may not have equivalent effects, I decided I'd give his vyvance a try to see if it might possibly be better for than my current prescription.

Turns out, vyvance worked MUCH better and was able to get much more consistent productivity and was more effective for me.

Now, given I would like to give vyvance a legitimate try for a month to see if it's might be a potential replacement for his/her current medication. How can I go about bringing it up to my doc that I want to actually give vyvance a try? I don't really know if the doc would like it that Intried another individual's medication prior to consulting with him. If you have had prior experiences with trying a new med, finding out it worked better, and consulted your doc about it please share it any other individual in a similar dilemma might benefit from this information.

-Regards

Jiberish
05-02-16, 02:57 PM
Hello eddster:

I would say that since Vyvanse is marketed as being less abused than Adderall IR and other short term amps, a Dr would probably be okay with it. My Dr Doesn't really give out IR anythings, he likes the longer stuff that has a certain way to release. From my perspective it would be like someone coming in and saying, instead of taking xanax, can I try an SSRI as I heard they are effective to treat anxiety but less addictive and abused......

Just my two cents.....

Good luck. not sure on dosages sorry.

Little Nut
05-02-16, 03:52 PM
Hey eddster, Just for me I'd drop the swim's. They seem to have a strong connection to those other type of forums. It may just be me, but I get a mental picture of someone that has been up for 6 days and/or tracks that look like a switch yard.

Has the inconsistent results been there for most of the 4 months? In any case I would talk to your Doc about the mixed results and see where to go from there. I would push to stay on Adderall and just increase the dose. (The adderall is working for you to varying degrees.) I don't see a reason to change to something that may have a new set of problems when upping the dose hasn't been tried. If your Doc isn't okay with bumping your dose, then suggest the Vyvanse or dexedrine and mention your friend's success. I would leave out the part about taking a friend's Vyvanse and I would avoid doing anything similar in the future for obvious reasons. HTH and GL, -LN

sarahsweets
05-02-16, 04:14 PM
Before I reply any further. we dont SWIM here. Thats for recreational drug sites and by the way, it doesnt do jack if you get caught doing what you are not supposed to be doing.
Can you imagine..."it wasnt me, it was someone who isnt me"
Hello guys/gals.

Couldn't find a definitive thread that had what SWIM was really looking for.

SWIM is currently on 20mg generic Adderall IR and have been for a good 4 months. It's been his/hers first and only prescribed medication as SWIM was only recently diagnosed several months ago. Everything has been fine and dandy except that the medication's beneficial effects have been inconsistent and give SWIM a considerably small timespan of productivity. SWIM is currently taking the Barr generic brand btw.

So SWIM found out a good friend of mine takes vyvance and said the effects are more consistent and worked much better for him. Also, his dosage is equivalent his/her 20mg. Knowing each and every person may or may not have equivalent effects, SWIM decided I'd give his vyvance a try to see if it might possibly be better for SWIM than his/her current prescription.

Turns out, vyvance worked MUCH better for SWIM and was able to get much more consistent productivity and was more effective for me.

Now, given SWIM would like to give vyvance a legitimate try for a month to see if it's might be a potential replacement for his/her current medication. How can SWIM go about bringing it up to his/her doc that SWIM wants to actually give vyvance a try? SWIM don't really know if the doc would like it that SWIM tried another individual's medication prior to consulting with him. If you have had prior experiences with trying a new med, finding out it worked better, and consulted your doc about it please share it any other individual in a similar dilemma might benefit from this information.

-Regards

Little Missy
05-02-16, 04:17 PM
Don't forget your goggles and tank.

What's up with the ISIS shot?

QuasarMind
05-02-16, 04:21 PM
When I took Adderall, I split my doses up into AM and PM, first dose of 20mg Adderall IR around 7:30-8am then the second dose of 10mg Adderall IR around 12:00-1:00pm. For me this worked best. I also found different brands to work different, mostly in duration of effect, which is quite common for most Adderall IR users. I found Sandoz lasted the longest while feeling totally "clean" while Ranbaxy (Walgreens for me in 2007-8) was the worst. Barr is the most common brand, which some people do complain about, typicall with it wearing off sooner and sometimes a little more anxiety than others. I have no idea what it is about Adderall that causes the inconsistencies of the manufacturing process between brands but it's defiantly not placebo effect.

As far as getting your doctor to prescribe Vyvanse, if he is already giving you Adderall, it shouldn't be a problem, for the most part, their the same drug. If you do not have insurance, Shire has their "Shire Cares" program so if you live alone and make less than $35k a year you can get it for free. My doctor said 50mg Vyvanse is supposed to be equivalent to 20mg Adderall but I found 70mg Vyvanse to be more like 20mg Adderall but the Vyvanse lasts longer.