View Full Version : Has anyone had a dose "fail to work"?

Question
05-03-16, 03:10 PM
When taking dexamphetamine, sometimes I would take a dose like normal (typically after a meal) and then...nothing. Or i get almost no effect from the dose. I haven't been able to narrow down any common factors that could cause this, it just seems random, but it's really annoying because you can't exactly take another dose to try and get work done.

Anyone experienced something like this before and managed to figure out the cause?

sarahsweets
05-03-16, 04:00 PM
Was there ever a consistent period of time and a dose that worked well>?

Rebelyell
05-04-16, 01:22 AM
Yes but it wasn't dex it was benzos

Little Nut
05-04-16, 11:54 AM
For IR tablets, I don't think it would be a problem to ask my Doc if I could take a reduced dose say 2.5 mg on those rare occasions where taking a dose didn't work as well for my symptoms. I would do this on the phone/e-mail without an appointment.

Fuzzy12
05-04-16, 12:06 PM
The effect of the meds depends on so many things that you can't guarantee really how they are going to work or how efficiently. There have been so many times that I couldn't focus, for example, even after taking meds. It could be lack of sleep, some other physical problem, stress, too many things on my mind or maybe the thing that I'm trying to focus on is extraordinarily boring..even with meds. There's a myriad of reasons why a particular dose might not have the desired effect.

If most of the time you are getting a beneficial effect in terms of symptom control, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can ask your psychiatrist if you can take a top up dose for those cases but even that might not help in every instance (and your psychiatrist might say NO. I can't imagine my psychiatrist being ok with that but it's worth asking).

Dimitriha
05-05-16, 06:46 AM
When taking dexamphetamine, sometimes I would take a dose like normal (typically after a meal) and then...nothing. Or i get almost no effect from the dose. I haven't been able to narrow down any common factors that could cause this, it just seems random, but it's really annoying because you can't exactly take another dose to try and get work done.

Anyone experienced something like this before and managed to figure out the cause?

I find when i take half my dose (5mg which i take on non-busy days) that its effects become situational. Ie if im tired doing nothing i will still feel sluggish however if i suddenly get a call to go into work or something i suddenly become very alert

AddAnxiousMe
05-07-16, 10:02 AM
Does food affect these medications? I just started back up on Adderall after a couple of days off due to high BP. My doc prescribed Tenex and I took a 10mg Adderall yesterday and could feel an effect not long after. That was about a half hr. to 45 mins after a chicken meal with rice and veggies, etc. This morning I had eggs and toast and a few peanut butter crackers and took my dose about a half hr. later at 8am. I didn't really feel the same effect of a slight mood boost and focus that I had yesterday. Maybe I should take them on an empty stomach for consistent results?

Question
05-07-16, 03:28 PM
Was there ever a consistent period of time and a dose that worked well>?

It works well almost all the time, but occasionally I would take a dose and it would seem to have no or very little effect.

Question
05-07-16, 03:30 PM
Does food affect these medications? I just started back up on Adderall after a couple of days off due to high BP. My doc prescribed Tenex and I took a 10mg Adderall yesterday and could feel an effect not long after. That was about a half hr. to 45 mins after a chicken meal with rice and veggies, etc. This morning I had eggs and toast and a few peanut butter crackers and took my dose about a half hr. later at 8am. I didn't really feel the same effect of a slight mood boost and focus that I had yesterday. Maybe I should take them on an empty stomach for consistent results?

From what ive read and what my doctor has said, taking it with food is supposed to enhance the effect, but it doesn't seem to improve it for me. If anything, taking it WITHOUT food seems to get it working faster...