View Full Version : Starting Up My Vitamins Again

BellaVita
05-03-16, 11:04 PM
I had run out of my vitamins for a few weeks - and boy I started declining in health and my mental state got worse. (I'm also dealing with lots of stress lately - but even with the stress I felt chemically "off" in my brain)

I'm now starting my vitamins, with some added ones:
Super B-Complex (pill form)
B12 (gummies)
Prenatal vitamins (with added DHA, Folic Acid) (gummies)

Now, I know gummy vitamins do have added sugar which isn't wonderful - but they were inexpensive so it was worth the buy.

I take the prenatals because I've tested low in folate before, and I feel overall they help me better than the regular multivitamins. (Not trying to get pregnant! haha)

Several weeks ago (before I ran out of them) I started noticing huge benefits in my vision - clearer vision where I could see more details and colors went from dull to bright, my body overall felt less pain, and I experienced lowered levels of anxiety(including more positive mental-talk), and lowered depression when I was taking just prenatals alone. A better overall sense of well-being. It was remarkable the difference they were making!

Now, this makes sense to me since I've been deficient in so many vitamins before due to my disease, and being deficient in certain vitamins can cause anxiety & depression. Although I'm still wondering which vitamins helped make my vision better.

And by the way these results I experienced weren't all in my head, because I would forget that I took the vitamins and then hours later notice all of these positive effects. (I know, it's strange that they "kick in" like that, being that they are vitamins and all, but I've been that way with things like B12 shots in the past...wonder if I metabolize/process things weird?) And the good effects went away after I ran out of my vitamins.

I'm hoping these gummy vitamins work as well as the normal ones - and if not at least I'll find out!

I'll try to keep this thread updated if I start noticing any improvements.

sarahsweets
05-04-16, 04:17 AM
I had run out of my vitamins for a few weeks - and boy I started declining in health and my mental state got worse. (I'm also dealing with lots of stress lately - but even with the stress I felt chemically "off" in my brain)

I'm now starting my vitamins, with some added ones:
Super B-Complex (pill form)
B12 (gummies)
Prenatal vitamins (with added DHA, Folic Acid) (gummies)

Now, I know gummy vitamins do have added sugar which isn't wonderful - but they were inexpensive so it was worth the buy.

I take the prenatals because I've tested low in folate before, and I feel overall they help me better than the regular multivitamins. (Not trying to get pregnant! haha)

Several weeks ago (before I ran out of them) I started noticing huge benefits in my vision - clearer vision where I could see more details and colors went from dull to bright, my body overall felt less pain, and I experienced lowered levels of anxiety(including more positive mental-talk), and lowered depression when I was taking just prenatals alone. A better overall sense of well-being. It was remarkable the difference they were making!

Now, this makes sense to me since I've been deficient in so many vitamins before due to my disease, and being deficient in certain vitamins can cause anxiety & depression. Although I'm still wondering which vitamins helped make my vision better.

And by the way these results I experienced weren't all in my head, because I would forget that I took the vitamins and then hours later notice all of these positive effects. (I know, it's strange that they "kick in" like that, being that they are vitamins and all, but I've been that way with things like B12 shots in the past...wonder if I metabolize/process things weird?) And the good effects went away after I ran out of my vitamins.

I'm hoping these gummy vitamins work as well as the normal ones - and if not at least I'll find out!

I'll try to keep this thread updated if I start noticing any improvements.

It seems like every year the powers that be release a study that says taking vitamins doesnt do anything, and that the average person just needs to eat the right foods or worse, that somehow we take to many vitamins. I think thats crap. After my surgery years ago, I had to sign an acknowledgement that I understood and agreed that I would take certain vitamins.
With the heath problems Ive had, I started having deficiencies in certain things, especially my skin, hair and nails. I discovered the wonders of Biotin and my nails grow long now, I have less hair breaking, etc.

I have a website I order mine from (pm if you want to know which one) and the prices are awesome.

BellaVita
05-04-16, 04:29 AM
It seems like every year the powers that be release a study that says taking vitamins doesnt do anything, and that the average person just needs to eat the right foods or worse, that somehow we take to many vitamins. I think thats crap. After my surgery years ago, I had to sign an acknowledgement that I understood and agreed that I would take certain vitamins.
With the heath problems Ive had, I started having deficiencies in certain things, especially my skin, hair and nails. I discovered the wonders of Biotin and my nails grow long now, I have less hair breaking, etc.

I have a website I order mine from (pm if you want to know which one) and the prices are awesome.

Yeah I've heard of those studies.

Clearly they aren't true for us.

I think you've mentioned Biotin before and I've heard about how great it is. I think I want to stick to these vitamins for a while and see how it goes, but maybe in the future I'll try it out. Thanks! :)

BellaVita
05-07-16, 09:17 PM
It's been 4 days and here's what I've noticed so far:
So for the first couple of days, I didn't really notice a difference.
On the third day a friend of mine was kind enough to give me a bottle of liquid B12 because they said that works almost as fast as B-12 injections - and they were right!!! I started noticing results that same day.

Now:
I'm feeling overall in less pain, slight increase in bodily energy, my thoughts are much clearer and less anxious, reduced depression, a bit better vision and I can see colors more and details.

I am glad to be feeling effects already!

I am sure I will feel even better in a week or two. :)

sarek
05-09-16, 02:41 AM
Bella, could you give us a full list of all the vitamins you are using and their dosages? It might be interesting to compare notes. I am on a supplementation program myself, though probably not as extensive as the one you are on.

Sarah, the reason why extra vitamins and minerals are needed is because many types of food in the western world have become degraded and deficient in nutritional value. This not only includes vitamins but also, very importantly, essential minerals. What is more, we also ingest large amounts of toxins which also interfere with our body systems. We need extra help to deal with that metabolic strain.

BellaVita
05-09-16, 04:20 AM
Sure, I'll let you know. :)

I'm also laughing more - even my fiancÚ said "you sound happier."

Unmanagable
05-09-16, 09:13 AM
I've found that the B Complex, D3, and Zinc make a very noticeable difference in my daily outlook.

Prior to my significant dietary changes, I also took a daily multi, fish oil, selenium, magnesium, and a couple others I can't recall at the moment.

Thank you for sharing your journey with supplements, Bella. It helps serve as a reminder to me to take mine.

BellaVita
05-14-16, 08:39 PM
I'm noticing that I wake up feeling less crappy than I used to. A bit more energy and mental clarity.

I don't know if this is from the vitamins or not but I feel more physical strength when lifting weights - in fact I recently went up 10 more pounds in lifting when before I thought I had hit a plateau.

stef
05-15-16, 02:22 AM
I bought some magnesium/b complex vitamins but just at the grocery store so i dont inow if they are "official" (only pharmacies have even have aspirin, etc)
Im going to try them all week ill let you know
I think ill bring them to work bc its a tablet that dissolves in water

BellaVita
05-15-16, 02:28 AM
I bought some magnesium/b complex vitamins but just at the grocery store so i dont inow if they are "official" (only pharmacies have even admirin etc)
Im going to try them all week ill let you know
I think ill bring them to work bc its a tablet that dissolves in water

Cool! Best of luck :)

stef
05-15-16, 02:32 AM
lol aspirin, not admirin...
gotta start wearing my glasses in the morning!

BellaVita
05-23-16, 07:34 AM
I'm still noticing positive effects although I don't think I am where I should be.

I think the gummie multivitamins aren't working as well for me as the pill form multivitamins, so after this container is out I will switch back to those.

Also I'm going to perhaps add some other vitamins to the mix although I will have to see what I can afford/which ones would help me the most.

stef
05-23-16, 08:41 AM
I think the magnesium/B6/B2/B1 supplement is helping a little with energy and focus!
I took them all week at work (forgot on the weekend :) ), and this morning.

at the same time, coincidentally, I started listening to music during the day. I'm all alone in this office so it's not disturbing anyone, I cant work with headphones because I have to keep getting up. I just run classical piano playlists on my phone. - so anyway, I'm not actually sure which is helping most.

BellaVita
05-23-16, 08:55 AM
I think the magnesium/B6/B2/B1 supplement is helping a little with energy and focus!
I took them all week at work (forgot on the weekend :) ), and this morning.

at the same time, coincidentally, I started listening to music during the day. I'm all alone in this office so it's not disturbing anyone, I cant work with headphones because I have to keep getting up. I just run classical piano playlists on my phone. - so anyway, I'm not actually sure which is helping most.

Cool! :) Vitamins and classical piano music are both good things.

That's actually one thing I'm thinking of adding - magnesium.

I'm also getting muscle cramps in my arms and legs (never had them in my arms until now!) so I'm wondering if maybe I need more potassium.

Unmanagable
05-23-16, 09:22 AM
I don't remember all of the specifics, but keep in mind our bodies ability to absorb helpful nutrients also depends greatly on our current level of gut health.

I don't think all the supplementation I spent a lot of money on in prior years helped me all that much because of the food choices I was making at the time, but I blamed the supplements.

I was shooting myself in the foot repeatedly, and had no clue because the peeps teaching me (a registered dietitian and a general practitioner medical doctor) apparently weren't taught that little detail either.

BellaVita
05-25-16, 01:02 PM
I don't remember all of the specifics, but keep in mind our bodies ability to absorb helpful nutrients also depends greatly on our current level of gut health.

I don't think all the supplementation I spent a lot of money on in prior years helped me all that much because of the food choices I was making at the time, but I blamed the supplements.

I was shooting myself in the foot repeatedly, and had no clue because the peeps teaching me (a registered dietitian and a general practitioner medical doctor) apparently weren't taught that little detail either.

I agree. If the intestines and stomach aren't in great shape, it's hard to absorb nutrients.

My food choices are unfortunately rather limited due to the fact I can't tolerate much due to Crohn's - although I *am* slowly adding in more veggies to see if I can tolerate them. (But still staying far away from dark leafy greens and onions)

That's why I'm taking supplements, since my intestines aren't doing the job right and I can't eat a wide range of foods.

BellaVita
05-25-16, 01:22 PM
I added two new vitamins (not costly):
-Melatonin 5mg
-Magnesium Citrate [Rapid release]

Now, I have used melatonin much in the past. Never was really effective. But I have a theory.

I think that in the past I was taking it at the wrong times for my body. The usual times people go to sleep, some time before bed time. [Probably between 9 and 11pm] I read that those with Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder might have issues with their melatonin production - that it doesn't get released within the normal time-range. But later, I think. For me it would be early morning hours.

So I'm going to take it an hour before sleep during my right time and see how it goes.

And the magnesium I think will help with my sleep to relax my body [I've been having leg cramps and arm cramps...who gets arm cramps? lol], and help my constipation issues. (I take another OTC stool softener every other day too]

BellaVita
10-28-16, 11:57 AM
Okay, for a couple months I was out of the liquid b-12 - and I definitely felt the not-so-good effects of that. A slow decline in how I felt. And I wasn't very consistent with some of my vitamins.

Been continuing with the same type of multivitamin, but am also back to taking sublingual liquid B-12, Magnesium Citrate, and B-Complex with added vitamin C.

And this is a bit off-topic but it's about vitamins in a way....
I've also majorly upped my veggie-intake, I'm not sure if it's worth the effects of inflaming my intestines with some of them. It's like a win-lose situation. I'm not sure if the spinach, onions, etc. are getting absorbed well anyway since they're probably causing worse intestinal inflammation. But hey, hopefully some nutrients are getting through.

But I'm trying to alternate between the meals so I'm not eating the same veggie every meal - and hoping that'll make the painful veggies more tolerable.

If I find I can't tolerate those few, I'll switch them out for others.

Overall though, my taste buds are really enjoying these added veggies. :D And I don't feel so crappy after a meal. (Because I had been consuming too many carbs before)

I'm also eating slightly more fruit than before, although not by much because I'm more of a veggies gal nowadays.

Hoping for increased energy levels, better mental function, less anxiety,a lift in mood, and less foggy brain. And hoping my vision gets clearer again.

Greyhound1
10-28-16, 10:58 PM
Bella, are you getting enough protein?

BellaVita
10-28-16, 11:05 PM
Bella, are you getting enough protein?

I believe so, I've been eating beans pretty regularly. And sometimes eggs.

I don't eat meat so I hope I am. I know it can be difficult for vegetarians to get enough nutrients.

Greyhound1
10-29-16, 02:50 PM
I believe so, I've been eating beans pretty regularly. And sometimes eggs.

I don't eat meat so I hope I am. I know it can be difficult for vegetarians to get enough nutrients.

Bella,
I have suffered from IBS on and off for years. I tried changing diets, pre & probiotics along with additional fiber and it provided little benefit. I found out by accident that protein was the key for my situation.

I had begun working out and started taking a protein supplement. I found it to be more beneficial for my IBS than anything. After about 2 days of getting 60 grams of protein a day, I become much more comfortable and regular.

I drink a protein drink from a company called Bolthouse Farms which is awesome. It's pricey but I can get over 400 calories and 32 grams of protein plus many other vitamins and minerals in a 16oz. serving. The best part is it tastes great.

BellaVita
11-02-16, 11:57 AM
Thanks to a helpful member here (:)), I have now added whey protein - a good kind that doesn't have weird things added to it. I would've never thought to add more protein to my diet, but I do believe I have been not consuming enough due to being vegetarian.

I've also added a proper vitamin C supplement to the mix (the b-complex contains some but this is different and extended release), because my husband had an extra unopened bottle. So I'll use that too.

I am starting to feel a bit of an improvement since recently re-starting the B-12 etc.

20thcenturyfox
11-08-16, 11:25 PM
I don't know why we keep hearing from people who claim to be informed about nutrition that one "should be able to get all one's vitamins from a balanced diet." Sort of like avoiding pregnancy by should oughta abstaining from sex.

At the same time we also hear that no research supports the effectiveness of ordinary vitamins or supplements, either for greater longevity or against leading causes of death like cardiovascular disease or cancer.

Meanwhile there is a whole line of research showing that relatively modest amounts of quite ordinary vitamins IMPROVE cognitive functioning in healthy older people with no known conditions at all! And, sure, some or even most of any given group may have sub-optimal diets. But if the controls are matched to the test groups, and the test groups improve after vitamin supplementation beyond a statistically significant degree, who cares? And if random healthy people with no disorders can improve their cognitive function this way, would it be too much to recommend that everyone with cognitive issues should probably supplement with vitamins as a minimum precaution?

I will have to go and dig up the published research articles I found, and post them below. I don't have them at my fingertips. But they blew me off my chair. Wait till you see the dosages they call "mega-vitamins." Extremely modest. Just a wee bit higher than Minimum Daily Intake.

This strongly suggested to me that every person on this forum should consider joining the OP on this very simple modification.

BellaVita
11-12-16, 02:32 PM
Starting to gather more energy, eyesight is slightly clearer, brain might be functioning a bit better (hard to tell - dealing with lots of anxiety/OCD has been trying to take over)

But I do believe that the Magnesium is helping calm me down a bit. Like my thoughts slow down more. And I feel like I can relax a bit easier.

Also, I think the magnesium might be helping with the "adrenaline pumping through me" that I often experience, especially with lack of sleep, I've been very sleep deprived lately for no good reason other than stress, but I think it's helping me manage it better so I don't feel like I just drank 20 coffees. (Thankfully, I did sleep a bit better last night)

aeon
11-12-16, 06:47 PM
I have decided to try a course of vitamins, but for sure, a multi without K is a bit spendy for me.

I am also going to try a course of ubiquinol.

I don't have any real expectations, but I will try to remain open to what I experience, or not.

Cheers,
Ian

aeon
11-12-16, 06:54 PM
Also, I think the magnesium might be helping with the "adrenaline pumping through me" that I often experience, especially with lack of sleep, I've been very sleep deprived lately for no good reason other than stress, but I think it's helping me manage it better so I don't feel like I just drank 20 coffees.

The brain buzz and body load that comes from lack of sleep is usually the effect of low serotonin, just as the tired and sluggish feeling that comes from oversleeping is the effect of high levels of serotonin.

I used to sometimes take some pleasure in that bzzzt! feeling, but not so much these days, and I never pursue it in any case.

Cheers,
Ian

BellaVita
11-12-16, 07:00 PM
I have decided to try a course of vitamins, but for sure, a multi without K is a bit spendy for me.

I am also going to try a course of ubiquinol.

I don't have any real expectations, but I will try to remain open to what I experience, or not.

Cheers,
Ian

Wishing you luck. :)

BellaVita
11-12-16, 07:05 PM
The brain buzz and body load that comes from lack of sleep is usually the effect of low serotonin, just as the tired and sluggish feeling that comes from oversleeping is the effect of high levels of serotonin.

I used to sometimes take some pleasure in that bzzzt! feeling, but not so much these days, and I never pursue it in any case.

Cheers,
Ian

Interesting, I didn't know that.

For me, it's like drinking WAY WAY too many coffees, but there are no pleasant effects, just my heart pounding, adrenaline pumping(no pleasant buzz), high levels of anxiety, irritability, headache, and a "high blood pressure" feeling. (I've had my blood pressure checked by a doctor when I felt like this - it was indeed a bit too high)

It is something that has gotten worse over the years.

aeon
11-12-16, 07:43 PM
I used to get that too, but combined with a bit of caffeine, water, and ibuprofen, I was more functional than I was without it back in the days when my ADHD remained undiagnosed and unmedicated.

Cheers,
Ian

Greyhound1
11-12-16, 09:56 PM
Cheers,
Ian
That's really interesting. When I was first diagnosed as being depressed was when my only symptom and complaint was oversleeping. I finally went to a Dr. after having 3 alarm clocks and one in another room. I got up every 5 minutes for 3 hours and walked into the other room to hit snooze and missed an important meeting.

I knew I had a problem but didn't think I was or felt depressed. I just couldn't drag myself out of bed in the morning. They told me I was depressed and prescribed an SRI.

Given the information you mentioned about serotonin, it makes sense that with treatment and raising my levels only made things worse.

I also can relate now to something I have always noticed and couldn't understand. On nights when I don't sleep too well, I feel significantly better mentally and have much less brain fog. Sometimes, I am physically or mentally tired but still much more clear headed.

On nights when I feel like I had a really good night sleep, I am at my foggiest for most of the day.

Thank you for mentioning that about serotonin. That's very interesting. It's helping me to connect some dots in my self awareness.

BellaVita
11-16-16, 02:26 PM
I just want to say - that I definitely notice a good difference with the magnesium citrate.

When I used to read about it, how it can have a calming effect, I kinda didn't believe it. Or thought it wouldn't work on me. I was wrong and I'm glad I didn't give up on taking it.

It does make me feel relaxed, sometimes even a bit sleepy (depending on when I take it - I take 1 capsule 3 times a day as the bottle says)...and I really do think it is reducing my anxiety some. I feel a bit more calm in my brain.

Several years ago, I was maybe 14 or 15....the first time I was hospitalized for unexplained heart issues, after my very long multiple day hospital stay, I took some form of magnesium for an extended period of time. And it helped.

Maybe I've been needing it all along.