View Full Version : Tips to help with ADD that have nothing to do with medicine

Don Draper
05-04-16, 02:09 PM
When I first started taking Focalin, it was like, sit down, shut up, and work. I didn't even have to try that much. After 3 years of taking it now, it still helps, but not as significantly. I have realized that I have got to put some real effort into curbing my disorder, and not just relying on the medicine.

For example, I have a 5 page paper due on Dante's Inferno next Tuesday and I am on page 10. I really need to read it, but this question popped into my mind, so I came on here and asked. Does anyone have any advice?

Fuzzy12
05-04-16, 07:31 PM
The thing that helped me most is a Web based task planner on a website called kanbanflow. It also has a timer based on the pomodoro technique. It super simple to use and it not only ensures that I dont forget anything but for some reason using the timer helps me focus for short amounts of time.

Breaking up the task might help. For example you could see each level of hell as a different task and tick off each level as you are done with it to make the whole thing less overwhelming.

Highlighting salient points in neon colour helps me as well mainly because it helps me read more actively and I five it fun to use neon highlighters.

Little Nut
05-04-16, 09:18 PM
Sorry Don, nothing from personal experience. In college I self-medicated w/ large quantities of Caffeine, Nicotine, and the Stress hormones from severe procrastination. Afterwards I traded in the procrastination for making lists and ever increasing job responsibilities, but kept the caffeine/nicotine. My only recommendation is to avoid these as meds. The prescribed ones are better and safer IMHO. Fuzzy mentioned an Organizer/Planning tool that worked for Fuzz. I guess if i was doing it over again I would go with Meds and To-Do lists and study buddies. GL, -LN