View Full Version : I just signed my contract for my new job!

Jacksper
05-06-16, 01:46 PM
Please excuse me for making a new thread about my job seeking process every time there is something new :lol:

I have just signed the contract for my new job! It's a job in my field of work, a great starting position, a good contract and many opportunities for growth in this company.

So much is going to change:
- More responsibilities
- More money (less worries)
- Less free time (but more hopefully interesting tasks to spend my time with)
- A new (working) environment
- A lot of new skills to develop
- New colleagues
- No more odd jobs

It feels good to make some progress in my life! I am really looking forward to this new phase.

I find it extremely ironic that after taking 10 years to finish my 3-year BSc and worrying that finding a job would be very tough and that my career would not have so much potential, that it was actually not that hard at all and that it seems that there are many opportunities to create a good career and life.

What this opportunity really means for my life is still sinking in. I have always fought for this, but I also feared and in a way assumed that my life would be a failure. I never dared to dream that I could have a good life. I am celebrating this in as many ways as I can imagine to convince myself that this is really happening! :)

At the same time I am also preparing myself... mainly by doing online courses to build the skills that I need. I hope to spend a few dozens of hours on that, but I will make sure that I will have plenty of time to relax!

seemingly
05-06-16, 02:11 PM
Congratulations, this is absolutely wonderful!!!

midnightstar
05-06-16, 06:59 PM
Congratulations Jacksper :) :grouphug:

Fuzzy12
05-06-16, 07:02 PM
Congrats and neat of luck! !!!

Little Missy
05-06-16, 08:32 PM
March in there looking smart! :)

Little Nut
05-06-16, 09:50 PM
Fantastic Jacksper..Happy for you. -LN

namazu
05-06-16, 10:03 PM
That's great news!

When do you start the new job?

Simargl
05-06-16, 10:59 PM
Sounds amazing. (: Congratulations!

Jacksper
05-09-16, 07:14 AM
Thanks everyone! :)

That's great news!

When do you start the new job?

I will officially start on June 1, but I have already started preparing myself last week (on my own initiative). I have a lot of skills to learn, in fact learning will be my main responsibility in the first 6-12 months of my work, so I thought it would be nice if I had a head start!

BellaVita
05-09-16, 08:20 AM
Congratulations! :)

Little Missy
05-09-16, 08:30 AM
I think I may have missed it. What kind of job is it?

Jacksper
05-11-16, 07:44 AM
I will work as an Geo-IT consultant. I will advice companies or governmental organizations on how to work with geo-information and I will build software applications for that as well. My background is not in IT, but in environmental science, but I have done a lot of courses in geo-information science. In the first 6-12 months I will do a lot of courses to improve my programming skills and other skill that I will need. The other knowledge from my studies is also useful, because I will probably do projects in environmental management.

Fuzzy12
05-11-16, 08:31 AM
I will work as an Geo-IT consultant. I will advice companies or governmental organizations on how to work with geo-information and I will build software applications for that as well. My background is not in IT, but in environmental science, but I have done a lot of courses in geo-information science. In the first 6-12 months I will do a lot of courses to improve my programming skills and other skill that I will need. The other knowledge from my studies is also useful, because I will probably do projects in environmental management.

How exciting. That sounds super interesting!!!

acdc01
05-11-16, 03:47 PM
Thanks everyone! :)

I will officially start on June 1, but I have already started preparing myself last week (on my own initiative). I have a lot of skills to learn, in fact learning will be my main responsibility in the first 6-12 months of my work, so I thought it would be nice if I had a head start!

Wow. What an amazing job that you get to spend 6-12 months mostly learning. We have to fight for every training budget we get.

Is Geo-IT what's called geographic information systems (GIS) in the US or is it something else? Where a whole ton of data like elevations, zoning, utilities, pollution levels, etc. are stored in a mapping system?

Jacksper
05-11-16, 05:35 PM
I am quite amazed by this job as well! It will be a challenge, but I love learning new things and the field is very broad and diverse, which is helpful for me to keep interest.

Indeed it's GIS (I finished my studies with a minor in GIS, which was a lot of fun) and your description of it is very accurate (have you studied/worked in this field as well?), but combined with IT, meaning I will also have to learn about web development, application building and programming.

acdc01
05-12-16, 03:30 PM
I am quite amazed by this job as well! It will be a challenge, but I love learning new things and the field is very broad and diverse, which is helpful for me to keep interest.

Indeed it's GIS (I finished my studies with a minor in GIS, which was a lot of fun) and your description of it is very accurate (have you studied/worked in this field as well?), but combined with IT, meaning I will also have to learn about web development, application building and programming.

No, I just use data from GIS systems on rare occasions. Guess you could say I'm an end user. That sounds really exciting. If you're building applications I guess that means you'll be making better the way many end users do their work - pretty awesome.

mchclay
05-12-16, 03:41 PM
Congrats for sure! I have been a subscriber of "Fake it till you make it" for a long time. You are much more capable than what you give yourself credit for!

Way to go!!!

Jacksper
05-13-16, 01:03 PM
@acdc - well if you ever need free GIS advice or you have ideas that would make your life as an end user easier feel free to contact me! ;)

@mchclay - Thanks, those words really gives me hope! I am believing that more and more!