View Full Version : Are your pet(s) conscious?

mildadhd
05-08-16, 11:39 PM
Are your pet(s) conscious?

m

BellaVita
05-09-16, 12:50 AM
Yes very much so! :)

aeon
05-09-16, 01:35 AM
I’m not sure, they’ve all been dead for a number of years now.

Cheers,
Ian

sarahsweets
05-09-16, 03:58 AM
:lol::goodpost:

I’m not sure, they’ve all been dead for a number of years now.

Cheers,
Ian

midnightstar
05-09-16, 04:01 AM
My current two cats most certaintly are :)

sarahsweets
05-09-16, 04:05 AM
My doggies are. Especially when they do that doggie thing where they drag their butts around on the floor. ;)

Fuzzy12
05-09-16, 04:34 AM
Yes. Why do you ask? :)

BellaVita
05-09-16, 04:45 AM
My doggies are. Especially when they do that doggie thing where they drag their butts around on the floor. ;)

I think that might have to do with the anal sacks being full or irritated. I didn't know that until I researched it one time. Sometimes a dog has to go to a vet to have it drained or something.

And I think it also releases their scent onto the ground.

Or maybe they just think it's fun. :)

Unmanagable
05-09-16, 08:41 AM
I don't own any pets that I've domesticated and taught to follow my orders and comfort me while also trying to financially and healthfully sustain them and all that's involved with having one (I stick to raising plants and spoiling other people's pets), but the wild things I hang with daily, and the fur babies of peeps who I pet sit for, seem to be quite conscious of their flow. More so than many humans I encounter.

BellaVita
05-09-16, 10:53 AM
More so than many humans I encounter.

I was going to post something like this earlier.

There is much to learn from them.

DJ Bill
05-09-16, 11:02 AM
In the daytime Delaware and Hudson are sleeping, building their strength while keeping up their reputations as fine, well behaved and innocent cats, so that when it gets dark......they can raise holy hell with fresh, invigorated bodies.

Occasionally they do become awake in a flash if there is even a remote possibility of food being nearby.

ginniebean
05-09-16, 11:47 AM
I think consciousness is something all beings on earth share.

Fuzzy12
05-09-16, 12:41 PM
I think consciousness is something all beings on earth share.

I'm not sure about that. Maybe it depends both on how you define consciousness and a being.
First I thought all living beings have consciousness but that's not necessarily true. I'm not convinced that plants or bacteria or viruses have consciousness. Then I thought animals have consciousness but they don't always have consciousness, isn't it? We have varying levels of consciousness during sleep and if you are in coma you might not really have consciousness but you'd be still be a living being. :scratch:

BellaVita
05-09-16, 02:21 PM
No one really knows enough about consciousness to determine those things posted above, I think.

There are many mysteries and answers we are still looking for.

It would be helpful if we could define consciousness in the first place - which is one reason scientists are so stuck.

psychopathetic
05-16-16, 09:24 AM
I had a professor in college (who was the chief of police! he was SO freaking cool! lol...he even let me shoot his handgun! :p) who was completely convinced animals had no consciousness.

I'm too much of a dumb dumb to argue...I have no proof or research or anything to back my feelings up (where as...he's the kind of guy that when he's got an opinion...he's got tons of research, facts and whatnot memorized to help make his point. Dang he was smart!...and terrifying! haha)...but his opinion made NO sense to me at all.
It's like...has he never held a puppy before? Has he never lived with a cat before?
I keep remembering previous neighbor's little shih tzu...and how excited she'd get when I'd come out to hold her haha. How her whole body would shake with excitement. She loved me and I loved her and I know she knew it. I don't get at all how he was able to come to the conclusion that that wasn't real. That animals have no consciousness.
Makes zero sense to me!

mildadhd
05-17-16, 09:34 PM
Yes. Why do you ask? :)

I am curious to know what other members feel and think. I feel and think all mammals including humans have similar lower emotional consciousness but less similar higher cognitive consciousness.

m

mildadhd
05-17-16, 10:19 PM
I'm not sure about that. Maybe it depends both on how you define consciousness and a being.
First I thought all living beings have consciousness but that's not necessarily true. I'm not convinced that plants or bacteria or viruses have consciousness. Then I thought animals have consciousness but they don't always have consciousness, isn't it? We have varying levels of consciousness during sleep and if you are in coma you might not really have consciousness but you'd be still be a living being. :scratch:

Interesting questions.

Let's work on them in this thread.

So far I have only been considering just mammalian consciousness including humans in general at different ages throughout life.

The major difference I can find is (implicit) emotional-affective consciousness and (explicit) cognitive consciousness.

Higher cognitive consciousness is impossible without lower affective consciousness, but lower affective consciousness is possible without higher cognitive consciousness. (Example, human emotional-affective consciousness at about age one)

m

Greyhound1
05-17-16, 10:48 PM
I am more interested in knowing if I am really conscious. My pets have all been very conscious. I feel like an unconscious robot most of the time.

mildadhd
05-18-16, 12:24 AM
I am more interested in knowing if I am really conscious. My pets have all been very conscious. I feel like an unconscious robot most of the time.

There are secondary unconscious learning and unconscious memories (upper limbic).

Tertiary emotion (neocortical) (conscious) (especially humans)
Secondary emotion (upper limbic) (unconscious)
Primary emotion (deeply Subcortical)(conscious)

I will look for a better example.

m

Roundmouth
05-18-16, 05:38 AM
They are. Not only my pet but our wild relatives in general. The major difference would rather be 'concious about being concious'. Sapiens Sapiens.

mildadhd
05-18-16, 09:30 PM
Does everyone agree that there is more than one type of conscious?

m

mildadhd
05-18-16, 09:37 PM
They are. Not only my pet but our wild relatives in general. The major difference would rather be 'concious about being concious'. Sapiens Sapiens.

Cognitive "concious about being" Affective "concious"?

m

Greyhound1
05-18-16, 09:39 PM
Absolutely, more than one type of consciousness in human and animals.

mildadhd
05-18-16, 09:54 PM
Absolutely, more than one type of consciousness in human and animals.

Human conscious minus Mammalian conscious equals Cognitive conscious?

m

Greyhound1
05-18-16, 11:26 PM
Human conscious minus Mammalian conscious equals Cognitive conscious?

m

Could be it depends on the level of consciousness level you are talking about. That would also mean mammals have no cognitive consciousness. I am not so sure about that.

mildadhd
05-19-16, 08:15 PM
Could be it depends on the level of consciousness level you are talking about. That would also mean mammals have no cognitive consciousness. I am not so sure about that.

I agree.

I think mammals have some cognitive consciousness but are more emotional-affective conscious because they have less neocortex.

I also think I made another mistake.

It would be more accurate if I wrote..

..Mammalian conscious plus human cognitive conscious equals human consciousness

(Since cognitive conscious would be impossible without emotional-affective conscious, in general)

m

Greyhound1
05-19-16, 10:20 PM
I agree.

I think mammals have some cognitive consciousness but are more emotional-affective conscious because they have less neocortex.

I also think I made another mistake.

It would be more accurate if I wrote..

..Mammalian conscious plus human cognitive conscious equals human consciousness

(Since cognitive conscious would be impossible without emotional-affective conscious, in general)

m

I am not sure if you can make this connection "Mammalian conscious plus human cognitive conscious equals human consciousness."

The reason I say that is because have we as humans have no experience of what other mammals level of consciousness are.

I was watching a wild rabbit eat a carrot, I put outside yesterday. I thought of your thread of his incredible level of consciousness. His ears listened to every sound, his eyes would constantly scan the area while eating. His level of consciousness was extreme. Far more conscious than many other mammals.

mildadhd
05-21-16, 10:17 PM
I am not sure if you can make this connection "Mammalian conscious plus human cognitive conscious equals human consciousness."

The reason I say that is because have we as humans have no experience of what other mammals level of consciousness are.

I was watching a wild rabbit eat a carrot, I put outside yesterday. I thought of your thread of his incredible level of consciousness. His ears listened to every sound, his eyes would constantly scan the area while eating. His level of consciousness was extreme. Far more conscious than many other mammals.

Comparing similarities and differences between mammals is a great idea.

Mammalian prey (example rabbit, deer) seeking something to eat, also spend a lot of their time exercising their (fight, freeze or flight response systems) watching and listening for mammalian predators (example wolves, humans) seeking a rabbit to eat.

All mammals including rabbits and wolves and humans have very similar lower "automatic" brain mechanisms involved in affective consciousness.

Awareness of primary affective consciousness helps us understand that behaviors associated with ADHD are not something we cognitively consciously do on purpose.

m