View Full Version : What's the biggest compliment you ever got ? Or would be to you ?

Gilthranon
05-09-16, 03:54 AM
What compliment would be the most flattering to you ?

And what's the nicest ever given ?

Thinking of this because this guy today was describing me to friends of his on the dinner table and I overheard him saying 'he's got a very strong character' which I think is very nice of him so I'll thank him and compliment his kind spirit in return.

midnightstar
05-09-16, 04:21 AM
The compliment that I'd find most flattering is if someone said something really nice about Ebony or Tigger (or both) :)

BellaVita
05-09-16, 04:52 AM
I can't remember the exact words....but someone once told me it's okay that I don't involve myself much with a [religious] activity [I think that's what it was about? Can't remember] but basically that I've got all the parts of my heart in the right place.

That is probably to me the best compliment I've received. Although there are many others that come close to that.

I also helped once to "diagnose" [not for real! Obviously] a friend's sister who had a concerning medical problem - and I was told by this friend I was "well-versed" in that area. And the person who said this to me was really smart themselves. The doctors confirmed I was right. All of that made me feel really good.

I also love being told I'm beautiful.

I could live a month very happy off of a compliment. :) (Although my fiancé compliments me daily, so I guess I'm doing pretty good in that department. :o)

Unmanagable
05-09-16, 08:31 AM
Being told by former students and former and current peeps I work with how comfortable and genuinely heard I made/make them feel. It hugs my heart whenever I know I've brought peace to another.

My favorite compliments given are the totally random ones I give to strangers. Seeing their faces light up, the smile that forms, and making that brief, yet deep, momentary connection is priceless to me.

Socaljaxs
05-09-16, 10:32 AM
My mom telling everyone how proud she is of me. How she loved working with me, and how well we worked together and me independently....especially when her and I worked together. Her praise of my performance and our relationship That was probably the highest and most precious complement I could ever have.

DJ Bill
05-09-16, 11:04 AM
I still remember it half a decade later.. One of the "cool" kids said to me , you know, you're a pretty cool guy! (After being the odd man out for most of my high school days I was pretty stoked about it. )

Fuzzy12
05-09-16, 11:40 AM
I'm not sure. I like compliments in general though if I'm being complimented on something that I absolutely disagree with (either because I think that I'm not like that at all or because I don't want to be like that) then I don't like it.

I think, anytime someone says something nice though I appreciate it. Either the compliment itself or the effort that they are putting into trying to make me feel better.

I guess, the ones that mean the most to me are in areas I feel insecure about (but hold in high esteem), like intelligence or being knowledgeable, skilled, resourceful, my work, etc.

It also depends on who the compliment comes from. Some people's opinions I value more than others. A genuine compliment from hubby can make my day.

ginniebean
05-09-16, 12:07 PM
My oldest son once said to me, "there are things I can't discuss with anyone but you mom"

I felt like I got the "best mom award" for deserving to be thought of like that.

psychopathetic
05-09-16, 01:03 PM
My therapist once very thoughtfully told me I had an old wise soul.
Meant a lot.

aeon
05-09-16, 10:09 PM
When I was 18-19 years of age, I used to babysit for a single mom a few doors down the street.
She had three children...a girl, 11, a boy, 8, and a girl, 2, and she was in her late 30s.

I loved it.

Mom was always amazed because when she got home, her kids would be in bed, and asleep.
She would ask how and I would always tell her “we played and laughed until they were tired.”

One time she got home a little later than usual and went upstairs right away to let them know
she was home. From downstairs, I overheard the 11-year-old girl ask “Mom, could he be our dad?”

---

And when I think back to those times, and I think about what it felt like, what it meant,
to be on all fours, growling and snorting like an animal, with a 2-year-old riding me like
I was some kind of beast...

I was happy. No, not happy, I knew joy, I knew bliss. It’s the best thing I have ever done,
the best time I have ever had. I was my best, truest self.

I was so full of doubt back then, thinking I was the ****-up people told me I was.

But down on the floor with those children I was more than OK. I was happy, and
my heart shone like a star.

Namaste,
Ian

salleh
09-24-16, 04:33 AM
.....The most romantic compliment I ever got was when the guy I was living with told me he loved waking up in the morning with me .....sigh...

....then a couple of years later he was living with someone else and she told me he said the same to her ....kinda shredded that .....felt a bit of a fool actually....heh.

....I can't think complements unless something is going on that reminds me of one I have had .....other than my cousin Steve ( who I adored) told me I was the nicest person he knew .....I was 16 or 17, he is 4 years older than I .....but as I have gotten older, I think it takes age to acquire true niceness .....

...I do get a lot of compliments on my work, whatever that might be at the time ...long list of stuff I do...and that' always thrills me to pieces....love being appreciated ....

C15H25N3O
09-24-16, 05:40 AM
I think it is not about words but how they are told.

E.g. When I am told with humor to be sick it is a kind of full acceptance.

I like acceptance more than petting the ego because it is a lasting feeling.

Hermus
09-24-16, 05:43 AM
One of my best friends told me I'm the guy everyone loves to have around. Whenever my friends go out and text with people they are very often like: 'Oh, is Hermus coming too?' Even after I quitted drinking people still want me around. I once asked a friend why people always specifically asked for me. She said: Oh, you're just always being so much yourself. :)

And people have started to compliment me on my appearance since I have started working out frequently.

Hermus
10-07-16, 05:56 PM
One compliment that I've got from quite some people recently is that I'm such a source of inspiration to them by taking the step to fight my addiction in South Africa. That's a really great thing to hear! :)

Joker_Girl
10-07-16, 07:39 PM
If someone were to tell me that I had genuinely helped them in some way, or that I was kind.

Greyhound1
10-07-16, 10:20 PM
When my step daughter told me she wished I could walk her down the isle instead of her father. She said she loved me and felt much more comfortable around me than her own dad. :)

She was married in July but her father paid for it and got to walk her down the isle. :(

peripatetic
10-07-16, 10:46 PM
i've been told some quite flattering things in my life about my physical appearance and academic potential. but, more importantly (not that i'm unappreciative of any genuine compliment...i appreciate any time someone says something sincerely), on occasion people have told me i'm compassionate, trustworthy, and a number of other things that i associate with being of sound/solid character. and just being a positive force in the world instead of a detrimental to others one.

in many ways i am a contemporary virtue ethicist and i also really, really, REALLY strongly want my actions, and thereby my person to be ones that are from truth, justice, compassion, beauty, loyalty, etc. (i don't always believe it when people say that i actually am those things, though i don't debate it; i say thank you). so when people who've known me remark positively on my "character" it is incredibly meaningful that they not only see that in me, but are moved to tell me they see it.

things can always be different until there's no more person, and one of my main worries is that i'm actually a terrible thing happening, but it makes me feel relieved and appreciated and hopeful that it might be true all at the same time. so, there are those on here who have given such compliments and, yeah, they've meant a lot : ) xx