View Full Version : What if it's not ADHD, what if it's not a dopamine/norepinephrine deficit?

baical
05-10-16, 02:26 AM
What then? Could it be a gaba deficient? There are now studies that show ADHD may be linked with the gaba as well. What you all think about this?

The gaba is underlooked/still new to linking it to ADHD.

John732
05-13-16, 10:47 AM
I personally think the brain is far more complicated than we currently believe it to be. Most theories including dopamine/norepinephrine deficits are just oversimplifications if even that in my opinion.

I'm a strong believer that parts of the brain in individuals with ADHD are more under-active than they should be. This is what causes the symptoms of ADHD and why stimulants are effective.

However just because stimulants increase levels of dopamine and norepinephrine doesn't mean ADHD is necessarily caused by a lack of these neurotransmitters.

To me, ADHD is just a trait that everyone exhibits. It exists on a spectrum. Some people can focus extremely well, others not so well. Then you have individuals that are on the other side of the spectrum that can't really focus well at all. It isn't an all or nothing condition. When you think about it, ADHD would have had powerful evolutionary advantages so it's definition as a 'disorder' purely relies on context. It becomes a problem in the modern world we live in but in it's true essence, it's not actually a disorder. Just a variation in neurological functioning such as eye colour, height or personality. There is no one 'cause'. It is the combination of many, many genes interacting that produce the symptoms, not one single thing.

mchclay
05-13-16, 10:52 AM
I agree. I am calm cool and collective when the s**t is hitting the fan. Was an exemplary soldier and am completely calm and under control even once when I hydroplaned going 60 MPH on a country highway...enough to bring the vehicle under control without harm to it or myself.

Work an office job but hate it!

Great squirrel hunter as any little movement in the forest canopy catches my eye. Don't ask me to sit still and turkey or deer hunt, however.

TygerSan
05-13-16, 12:07 PM
I'm not surprised to hear that there are connections to GABA neurotransmission. My vast simplification of how the brain works is that GABA and glutamate are sort of the brakes and the accelerator of the entire system. Everything else (the monoamines, endocannabinoids, opioid receptors, you name it) constitute the fine-tuning that allows us to operate as a well-oiled machine. The systems cannot operate in isolation, even though we keep trying to isolate the functions of each.

SB_UK
05-13-16, 02:00 PM
What then? Could it be a gaba deficient? There are now studies that show ADHD may be linked with the gaba as well. What you all think about this?

The gaba is underlooked/still new to linking it to ADHD.

Valium operates through GABA.

Soothes the distress (anxiety) of over-stimulation.

The ADDer problem is upstream of GABA.

SB_UK
05-13-16, 02:09 PM
systems cannot operate in isolation, even though we keep trying to isolate the functions of each.

Exactly.

It's a system - an exquisitely connected system.

We can be understood by external observation - internal dissection merely served to drive us insane.

We can all think of an infinite number of possible experiments which may be perform - none of which will lead us to the simple conclusion that ADDers represent the acquisition of sensitivity which is overstimulated in a world in which stimulation is the (nonADDer) reward system.

Stimulation is not a good reward system to embrace.

Information, however, is.
(ref Markram 'Intense World Theory)

mildadhd
05-13-16, 10:39 PM
What is the definition of ADHD?

m

SB_UK
05-14-16, 02:38 AM
Pain [ADD-I -> zoning out, ADD-H -> squirming] from incapacity to pay attention to what you're told/made/required to pay attention to (and aren't reallly very interested in) / are overloaded (sensory overloaded) to the point of loss of interest in what *could* be rewarding pursuits.

The disorder is eliminated if nobody tells/makes/requires you to do anything.

A world without co-ercion.

Remove co-ercion and the door is opened to formerly onerous tasks (sometimes the exact same tasks) becoming attractive.
The key is motivation.

The stick of co-ercion vs the carrot of freedom of choice.

baical
05-24-16, 04:29 AM
Sorry, are you saying too much GABA is what the ADDer's problem is? Like too much dopamine for schizos? Is this what you're saying? So if true, would downstreaming GABA help then?

Valium operates through GABA.

Soothes the distress (anxiety) of over-stimulation.

The ADDer problem is upstream of GABA.

BBSurf37
05-27-16, 07:10 PM
It's very possible there could be a deficiency. Hopefully they can isolate the root cause and perhaps use another method to be able to rid ADHD. The brain is a remarkable and volatile organ.

dvdnvwls
05-27-16, 11:26 PM
baical: Your thread title contains two separate and different questions, which can't be answered together. I think that's the most useful thing I can say.

SB_UK
05-29-16, 01:37 PM
Sorry, are you saying too much GABA is what the ADDer's problem is? Like too much dopamine for schizos? Is this what you're saying? So if true, would downstreaming GABA help then?
Thanks

glutamate -> <- GABA balance

? downstreaming ? sorry.