View Full Version : Getting doc to prescribe selegiline with vyvanse?

applelemon
05-10-16, 01:04 PM
Hi,

I already take 70mg of vyvanse. but this is not enough. it is only 20mg long lasting dex... this dose is given to kids...

how can I get my doc to prescribe me selegiline along with vyvanse?.

will I just show him a load of research papers? if so, please explain with help.

thank you.

QuasarMind
05-15-16, 03:57 AM
I personally found Adderall to be almost 50% stronger than Vyvanse, if you have the option, you may want to try getting Adderall instead. I used to take a split dose of 20/10mg of Adderall and I was very happy with its effectiveness.

I never heard of Selegiline but after reading the Wikipedia article, on paper, it looks like a good idea, but I have never tried it nor have known anyone who has.

Little Nut
05-15-16, 03:17 PM
I believe 70mg Vyvanse is equivalent to 28mg Dexedrine using amphetamine base.

Is ADHD adjunct an on-label use for selegiline?

I am assuming you are limited to 70mg/d Vyvanse. Rather than introduce a new drug, why not switch to Dexedrine? I know in the States up to 40mg/d is on-label and up to 60 is off-label.

QuasarMind
05-15-16, 06:51 PM
My doctor gave me this information which is consistent with other published sources. He said 30mg is = to 10mg Adderall, 50mg = to 20mg Adderall and 70mg = to 30mg Adderall. My personal experience is that 70mg Vyvanse is about the same as 20mg Adderall, maybe even not that much. Results may vary from person to person since the proportions of Dextro/Levo amphetamines are different, I personally seem to be more responsive in treating my ADD-inattentive to Levoamphetamine which is supported not just from taking Vyvanse but the improvement I experienced from when I initially switched from Dextro XR to Adderall XR. Since keeping up with Vyvanse feedback online since re-starting Vyvanse in January this year the general consensus is that Vyvanse isn't quite as strong as Adderall in the max dosing but I don't know if others are experiencing as drastic of a difference as I have.

Is ADHD adjunct an on-label use for selegiline?

I am assuming you are limited to 70mg/d Vyvanse. Rather than introduce a new drug, why not switch to Dexedrine? I know in the States up to 40mg/d is on-label and up to 60 is off-label.

Little Nut
05-15-16, 08:24 PM
My doctor gave me this information which is consistent with other published sources. He said 30mg is = to 10mg Adderall, 50mg = to 20mg Adderall and 70mg = to 30mg Adderall. My personal experience is that 70mg Vyvanse is about the same as 20mg Adderall, maybe even not that much. Results may vary from person to person since the proportions of Dextro/Levo amphetamines are different, I personally seem to be more responsive in treating my ADD-inattentive to Levoamphetamine which is supported not just from taking Vyvanse but the improvement I experienced from when I initially switched from Dextro XR to Adderall XR. Since keeping up with Vyvanse feedback online since re-starting Vyvanse in January this year the general consensus is that Vyvanse isn't quite as strong as Adderall in the max dosing but I don't know if others are experiencing as drastic of a difference as I have.

Scroll down to just above the "notes" section. When I checked that table the math appeared correct. JUST ABOVE NOTES (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphetamine)

aeon
05-15-16, 10:25 PM
Conversion Factors for Common ADHD Medications (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173221)

Cheers,
Ian

aeon
05-15-16, 10:32 PM

That is correct.

My prescribed 60mg Dexedrine is equivalent to 148mg Vyvanse.

Cheers,
Ian

Little Nut
05-15-16, 10:57 PM
Thx Aeon. Your list includes the MPh and the Desoxyn base equivalencies. Nice to have in 1 spot. :)

QuasarMind
05-16-16, 09:39 PM
I personally don't think 210mg Vyvanse would work as good as 30mg Adderall for me (I haven't tried excessive dosing). I think there is something missing in my brain that the levo-amphetamine component of Adderall activates.

Little Nut
05-16-16, 11:18 PM
"Looking through my knothole in the fence" we all strive to take the minimum dose to address our symptoms and cover the normal day-to-day variation in our biochemistry (sorry, couldn't think of right word). Since we are at the low end of therapeutic dosing, there is much variability from person to person. There is Zero science behind this viewpoint, but it kinda makes sense to me.

QuasarMind
05-17-16, 01:16 PM
I used to use that logic, and I agree that sometimes minimal is best, but if you truly do better on the high range if the manufactures guidelines I find I'm better off well treated than being phobic of narcotic ADD medication. So far, I haven't had any of my psychiatrist exceed MFG guidelines on controlled substances but I did talk to a Texas physiatrist in person who said he didn't have a problem prescribing 40mg/day Adderall if the patient benefited from it. I don't have a "speedy" personality, on or off of ADD medicine, for me they seem about as safe as ibuprofen, defiantly safer than benzodiazepines. I do however have a high level of self control when it comes to alcohol and narcotics. Obviously anyone with an addictive personality needs to be careful but if you can differentiate between proper treatment and "getting high" it shouldn't be hard to not abuse.

Little Nut
05-17-16, 06:20 PM
Sorry, was trying to say we all try to take the lowest dose for us to be therapeutic and to minimize side effects. Because this dose is on the low end, it causes much of the variability we see between people. Recreational users take a much higher dose and there is less variability between these individuals (Euphoria, quick tolerance, dependence ...).

(Seems I am still struggling to explain)