View Full Version : Sluggish Cognitive Tempo and Depression

selectandstart
05-10-16, 01:37 PM
Is SCT basically just ADD and depression combined? I've been diagnosed with ADD and depression and strattera is really helping with depression and I can focus much better because of it, but I am still very distractable.

Donny997
05-10-16, 09:09 PM
Is SCT basically just ADD and depression combined? I've been diagnosed with ADD and depression and strattera is really helping with depression and I can focus much better because of it, but I am still very distractable.

I don't think SCT = add + depression. You often see them together, but for the purpose of neat medical classification, they're probably distinct, i.e. You can have slow processing, be drowsy and in a fog, and not depressed... though having SCT makes one vulnerable, and just like any other vulnerability, could lead to social alienation, depression, etc.

From what I understand of the little information there is out there about it, SCT is more related to learning disabilities, lower IQ, slower processing speed, and ADD more related to distractibility, if one were to attempt to neatly separate them for clarity's sake.

However, nobody knows what SCT really is yet so I'm just giving my opinion.

selectandstart
05-10-16, 09:28 PM
I don't think SCT = add + depression. You often see them together, but for the purpose of neat medical classification, they're probably distinct, i.e. You can have slow processing, be drowsy and in a fog, and not depressed... though having SCT makes one vulnerable, and just like any other vulnerability, could lead to social alienation, depression, etc.

From what I understand of the little information there is out there about it, SCT is more related to learning disabilities, lower IQ, slower processing speed, and ADD more related to distractibility, if one were to attempt to neatly separate them for clarity's sake.

However, nobody knows what SCT really is yet so I'm just giving my opinion.

Thank you for your reply.

Another reason I was thinking there is a link is because I have had several major depressive episodes throughout my life. When I would bounce back from them with a manic episode I would feel the mental fog I've always felt being lifted, and I was able to process information much faster. One period of mania lasted about a month and I was able to think more clearly exactly to how strattera is affecting me now. I'm guessing the people researching this wouldn't let such an obvious explanation escape them. I'm just trying to make sense of what's wrong with me. I've been diagnosed with add and depression, and I meet all the criteria for SCT.

Donny997
05-11-16, 10:09 AM
They way I look at it is, the researchers who came up with the term know what the presentation of ADD and depression, or a combination of them, looks like, but were seeing a different presentation altogether with SCT.

The cognitive deficits with depression have been known for a long time. Everything slows down in depression, it's like a long-term hibernation. And if you have chronic dysthymia, it could probably appear as SCT. But the researchers apparently believe it's a distinct disorder.

I think they test processing speed on good neuropsychological tests. If the results show that's one of your weaknesses, then you might suspect SCT could be something you struggle with.

Pilgrim
05-11-16, 07:16 PM
There not the same. The galling thing is they don't know what causes it. What the hell???

sarahsweets
05-20-16, 04:18 AM
Thank you for your reply.

Another reason I was thinking there is a link is because I have had several major depressive episodes throughout my life. When I would bounce back from them with a manic episode I would feel the mental fog I've always felt being lifted, and I was able to process information much faster. One period of mania lasted about a month and I was able to think more clearly exactly to how strattera is affecting me now. I'm guessing the people researching this wouldn't let such an obvious explanation escape them. I'm just trying to make sense of what's wrong with me. I've been diagnosed with add and depression, and I meet all the criteria for SCT.

Mania and manic episodes are not typical of SCT or depression. They are typical of bipolar I or II.