View Full Version : ADHD and university

nicolascostadem
05-11-16, 12:50 PM
Hello, my name is nicolas, from Argentina and I'm joining to this site cause here in my country people don't take care too much about adhd.basically I'm here cause I'm studying in the college and it's my third year. The problem is this year I'm totally confused, the things are not going as before, I'm having bad notes in my exams and I have a really big problem to organise myself; so I'm preparing all the things just in the end and I'm in trouble. I'm taking Ritalin, it's helping me to get more focused in my reads and when I'm in class, but now I'm not having the same results as I used to have. Basically I think my problem, is find a way to organise myself but sounds impossible to me. Thanks if you're reading this! I hope answers!

Pilgrim
05-11-16, 06:15 PM
Magnesium.

nicolascostadem
05-11-16, 06:25 PM
Thanks for reply! I read a bit about it, how much do you think I should take? After or before Ritalin? Thanks!

Pilgrim
05-11-16, 07:10 PM
Spray on ,because of absorption, off the top of my head I can't remember the type of magnesium.
You need to take a bit, you will notice when it's working. I would take them at bedtime.

John732
05-13-16, 10:14 AM
Hi. I used to be in the exact situation as you.

First, Ritalin or any other stimulant for that matter is just a tool. Ritalin will help you focus and concentrate. However, from my experience, organisation is a skill you have to learn. Ritalin will allow you to complete a task but it will not teach you how to prioritize or complete the important stuff first. It is something you have to learn and master through practice. Here is a good article you can read through http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/537.html

I'm taking Ritalin, it's helping me to get more focused in my reads and when I'm in class, but now I'm not having the same results as I used to have.

Are you saying Ritalin is not as effective as it used to be? May I ask how much you take per day? I've been taking Ritalin for half a year now and I have found taking the lowest dose possible that still works is the best in the long term. It is also important to take as many breaks as possible from medication when you can. This prevents tolerance from occurring so it doesn't stop working.

nicolascostadem
05-17-16, 08:52 PM
Hi. I used to be in the exact situation as you.

First, Ritalin or any other stimulant for that matter is just a tool. Ritalin will help you focus and concentrate. However, from my experience, organisation is a skill you have to learn. Ritalin will allow you to complete a task but it will not teach you how to prioritize or complete the important stuff first. It is something you have to learn and master through practice. Here is a good article you can read through http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/537.html

Are you saying Ritalin is not as effective as it used to be? May I ask how much you take per day? I've been taking Ritalin for half a year now and I have found taking the lowest dose possible that still works is the best in the long term. It is also important to take as many breaks as possible from medication when you can. This prevents tolerance from occurring so it doesn't stop working.
Hey thanks for reply! I think the article is interesting and yes, I see the Ritalin as a tool, that's why I'm better in the uni. I think I need more organization in my life, but it's really hard!; by the way, I'm taking 40mg per day, except when I'm not in the uni or reading something for it. I don't usually take Ritalin Saturdays and Sundays. Do you think it's correct take another think as magnesium or fish oil? Thanks! :)

aeon
05-17-16, 11:28 PM
It is also important to take as many breaks as possible from medication when you can.

ADHD is 24/7/365. It is important to take prescribed medication every day, without interruption. You can take a break, but know your ADHD never will.

This prevents tolerance from occurring so it doesn't stop working.

Tolerance is not an issue with oral ADHD meds when taken at clinically-prescribed doses on a prescribed schedule. The clinical research and evidence are clear about this.

Cheers,
Ian

aeon
05-18-16, 07:59 PM
Tolerance is not an issue with oral ADHD meds when taken at clinically-prescribed doses on a prescribed schedule. The clinical research and evidence are clear about this.

OK, big overreach on my part.

Tolerance is not an issue for many who are Rx’d oral ADHD meds when taken at clinically-prescribed doses on a prescribed schedule, and that’s with the understanding that the plural of anecdotes ≠ data.

The clinical research and evidence are scant and inconclusive at best.

Cheers,
Ian

KarmanMonkey
05-19-16, 09:45 AM
I survived uni with the help of a few things:

Study partners. Someone who is organized to my chaotic.

Having someone to discuss projects/papers with. (even if they didn't have a clue what I was talking about)

Writing exams in the computer lab (even if not on the computer, the white noise of the fans eliminated a lot of distractions)

Frequently switching subjects when studying.

The biggest piece is finding people to work with. I found friends whos strengths and challenges complimented my own well. That way I wasn't just receiving support, I was giving something back as well.