View Full Version : Amphetamine psychosis

Cinzzz
05-13-16, 12:07 AM
Hi.
I abused meth a year and half ago, was fine thr first coupe of times. Immense euphoria like sent from heaven. Then when I finished my classes I flew back home and was around my parents. Did some ice with a friend of mine and I stupidly forgot I had to go back home to my parents and then paranoia kicked in then panic attack and boom amphetamine psychosis. I also had psychosis on bath salts I abused once. After that every time I did a stimulant I get a recurring psychosis, primarily induced by either fear or anxiety. Then my body tenses up and I feel like I'm going to die even though I'm not it's really uncomfortable.

I got cleaned up from all drugs and my doctor put me back on vyvanse. Today is my 7th day on it and I raised 40 mg to 60mg myself. During the comedown,I think because I only had 3 hours sleep and no food,I went paranoid and psychotic which accompanied intense dysphoria and fear of death.

I'm pretty sure my ADHDi is legit. The doctor two years ago said I have "classic" add and told my dad to pay 3000 for a brain scan because my dad was skeptical but he looks like he's the biggest add patient himself. Now my dad agrees anyways. I want to take the medication but I don't want another confused or psychotic state to happen again. I take lamictal and guanfacine with it.

Laserbeak
06-23-16, 05:54 AM
Hmm.... Never heard of that, but I've heard of Serotonin Syndrome, sounds similar. Maybe you were taking enough meth to initiate that on its own. Usually it's caused by mixing several antidepressants, Tramadol, etc.

Fuzzy12
06-23-16, 06:19 AM
Maybe a non stimulant adhd medication like atomoxetine (strattera) will suit you better.

As an aside, 3000$ for a brain scan? As far as I know they are not used to diagnose adhd.

C15H25N3O
06-23-16, 01:18 PM
I got cleaned up from all drugs and my doctor put me back on vyvanse. Today is my 7th day on it and I raised 40 mg to 60mg myself. During the comedown,I think because I only had 3 hours sleep and no food,I went paranoid and psychotic which accompanied intense dysphoria and fear of death.

Your are definately not cleaned up, sorry. No offense.
You are prescribed to an amphetamine for medical use but you start abusing this med on your 7th day?
dude, thats exactly why you got your psychosis and you risk another psychosis.
You should immediately call your doctor and ask for a treatment beginning with strattera and after a while maybe some methylphenidate.
Stop the amphetamines. They are a danger for your health. You better bring them to your doctor.

Your meth abuse must be treated before the ADHD!

cwf1986
06-25-16, 10:58 PM
^

I know I just thumbs'd up C15H25N3O, but I'm just putting this here for emphasis.

Non-Stim Treatments:
Strattera
Guanfacine
Clonidine
Those 3 are FDA approved
Nortriptyline
Amitriptyline
Desipramine
Parnate
These are not FDA approved, but have been used for a while
Selegeline(sp?)
Modafinal
These have limited studies suggesting effectiveness. You'll have a hard time getting a doc to prescribe you selegeline for ADHD.

Of the above, I would try the Strattera first. Most evidence for effectiveness relative to side effects.

Tricyclics and MAOi's are known to have some pretty rough sides for many people relative to the others listed, but not for everyone.

Selegeline is an MAOi selective for dopamine. It doesn't have the "cheese effect" at lower doses. Typically, you see its use for Parkinson's patients.

Modafinal is something you usually see prescribed for shift work disorder. It does have indirect effects on norepinephrine and dopamine. Whenever there's an affordable generic, this is the one I wanna try to see if it works. I hate having to prove I'm not an addict everytime I switch docs.

cwf1986
06-27-16, 12:57 PM
^

I said amitriptyline, but I meant imipramine.

sarahsweets
07-06-16, 06:25 AM
Modafinal is something you usually see prescribed for shift work disorder. It does have indirect effects on norepinephrine and dopamine. Whenever there's an affordable generic, this is the one I wanna try to see if it works. I hate having to prove I'm not an addict everytime I switch docs.
My husband has taken provigil (modafinil) for years for narcolepsy. About 2 or so years ago it went generic but here is the interesting part. The pills always said "provigil". The generic ones are still from cephlon and still say provigil. The only difference is insteadn ofn 650$ a month(which we couldnt afford) now its 20$.