View Full Version : Concerta/Focalin XR and Dexedrine XR all stopped working - solution needed!

James33
05-14-16, 08:27 AM
Dear all,

Many people seem to have the problem of ADHD drugs losing effectiveness (suddenly, gradually or inconsistently). I empathize with everyone going through this situation but instead of seconding each other, agreeing that it's a problem (it is!), or topping up the thread with similar personal stories, is there ANYONE among the 1000s of members with the slightest notion how to tackle this??

I can describe my case, in which I experience inconsistent effects to methylphenidate, which initially, for months on end, had huge effects at 5mg but is no longer doing anything at 30mg per day.

Changing from Ritalin IR to Concerta, to Dexmethylphenidate ER to Dexamphetamine to modafinil, to bupoprion and ultimately a combination of Dexamphetamine AND Dexmethylphenidate doesn't do the slightest. Makes me tired and lethargic.

Even my doctor, THE expert on ADHD in my country, doesn't know how to tackle this.

Can anyone PLEASE tell me that a way exists to overcome this problem? And would that person be so kind to explain how they did it?

You can save a life with this.

Thanks,

James

tjon29
06-22-16, 08:40 AM
I'm sorry but I can't offer a solution. I can only say that I came to this forum to ask this exact question but it seems like I'm not the only one having these issues!

I take 54mg Concerta and find that occasionally it just doesn't work at all and it's a very sudden stop. I'm not sure why this is, but if anyone can offer any information, I'd be really grateful!

I do find that the meds don't work when I'm getting sick or something (like the flu) but apart from that, I don't know what else could be causing this.

Have you tried taking time away from medication (if that is suitable in your case)? My doctor tells me that it's rare to build a tolerance to methylphenidate but I think he might be wrong....

Phineas
06-23-16, 12:12 AM
It seems to me that there are some key factors that appear to make Concerta stop working.

1. Lack of sleep. If I don't get enough good sleep the night before, the Concerta cannot overcome that, and does not work well, if at all.

2. Diet. If I don't eat animal protein during the day, the medication is far less effective.

3. Hydration Drinking a lot of water seems to increase the effect.

4. Other chemicals. If I take painkillers, benzodiazepines, or alcohol, the Concerta does not work the next day -- sometimes for a couple of days.

In addition to all of this, it seems like the Concerta is, for me, a reinforcing drug. When I think it's working, and think positive, motivating thoughts, it works better. If I think, this is not working, what if I'm building a tolerance, etc etc. it somehow is like a self-fulfilling prophecy.