View Full Version : Destroying mental barriers

Gilthranon
05-14-16, 10:02 AM
Yep, alcohol, wooziness, destroys mental barriers ... it feels good - every time I take it in I feel freed like I was in chains before. Like escaping a cloud, just oblivious to being in there before escaping. I live without it fine. But sometimes I feel almost weak when I think how deliberating it is to not have a constant voice replacing the overthought. When I think how many restrains or inhibitions I sometimes have in my head ...

midnightstar
05-14-16, 10:10 AM
I voted no in the poll.

bluejay14
05-14-16, 12:14 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by 'restrain barriers' - but alcohol is one of the few things that slows my brain down enough for me to sit down and chill out. It also helps me relax and settle in social situations.
I have a love-hate relationship with it.

Gilthranon
05-14-16, 12:49 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by 'restrain barriers' - but alcohol is one of the few things that slows my brain down enough for me to sit down and chill out. It also helps me relax and settle in social situations.
I have a love-hate relationship with it.
that's pretty much what I meant

bluejay14
05-14-16, 01:25 PM
that's pretty much what I meant

in that case - yes :D

aeon
05-14-16, 01:30 PM
For me, alcohol will remove anxiety if present, but I don’t have any sense of being liberated from anything within me.

That’s 1-2 drinks, which is all I will usually have.

If I have a third drink, I experience disinhibition in regards to my ADHD emotional dysregulation, which is to say, I am both happy-playful and sentimental-weepy.

That’s not on Dexedrine. I haven’t had but a few drinks in 5 years time while on Dex, but I do know where that could lead based on my experience of it.

Cheers,
Ian

Little Missy
05-14-16, 03:41 PM
Drinking has never been my forte.

When I do, I like it strong and neat. I have no idea what it does do to or for barriers.

salleh
06-19-16, 09:41 PM
I find that these days, a drink or 2 loosens up the ole joints, both in my body and in my brain .....not to mention my mouth, I become social again ......I once held the social butterfly of the year title, by going out every night for 11 1/2 months .....so I used to be pretty good at it ......now ? not so much ....

....I also used to be damned good at drinking whiskey, ( whiskey and water over ice ) my Irish blood shows there ....but I got tired of that so stopped ....

Pilgrim
06-19-16, 11:12 PM
I don't like it. Once in a blue moon.

Fuzzy12
06-20-16, 12:54 AM
Yes it does make me more relaxed but I'd prefer smoking or meds to alcohol. When I'm medicated the urge to drink usually disappears though even just a glass of wine or a single pint is quite soothing.

Laserbeak
06-20-16, 02:39 AM
I said no because alcohol gets you to say things you regret in the morning and all that stuff, but the drugs that really break down barriers are the hallucinogens such as LSD and MDMA. Unfortunately, they are currently illegal Schedule I drugs, although many psychiatrists would like to put them back to Schedule II since they can be useful during therapy sessions.

Gilthranon
06-20-16, 06:39 AM
I said no because alcohol gets you to say things you regret in the morning and all that stuff, but the drugs that really break down barriers are the hallucinogens such as LSD and MDMA. Unfortunately, they are currently illegal Schedule I drugs, although many psychiatrists would like to put them back to Schedule II since they can be useful during therapy sessions.
That being said - in the words of pre-Darth Vader aka Anakin Skywalker 'sometimes you have to impose a rule in order to get peace if needed, even if the public doesn't agree with it' and he became the Nicest Guy of the galaxy with a nice pink helmet :) :) :) :)

I agree with the illegality of drug use during therapy indeed - exceptions noted of course

Laserbeak
06-20-16, 07:08 AM
It is kind of ridiculous that LSD is a Schedule I drug when there is no known lethal dose of it (like marijuana). There may be a lethal dose of MDMA, but it would be many, many times the effective dose.

Gilthranon
06-20-16, 08:10 AM
Burns neurones

stef
06-20-16, 08:48 AM
I get quite chatty and there is this point of "1.5 glasses of wine" where I become totally coherent. It's like my speech and thoughts "match". by the 4th, not so much!
I really prefer wine, i can never tell how strong a mixed drink actually is.

(BTW this is drinking with friends, before/throughout a meal)

Unmanagable
06-20-16, 09:44 AM
I found I destroyed many more mental barriers by discovering and practicing genuine self-love and breath work than I ever did through any external means, be it legal or not. (not sure where that idea of lethal doses of marijuana are from - surely I would have died by now if that were true, as it was always my favorite)

The external means I tried through the years (alcohol, lsd, shrooms, weed, crank, cocaine, and various prescription meds) meant I had to remain attached to something/someone in some form that could always be taken away.

My breath and self-love are the only permanent and sustainable things that I seem to have full control over that can bring me relief in an instant that can also endure the test of time. Very cost-effective, too.

Gilthranon
06-20-16, 10:37 AM
My only issue with all the above mentioned substances is the burning of neurons permanently and lowering of IQ consequently

A little me-time is always appreciated as well

But I side with stef and unmanagable here

Hermus
06-20-16, 03:39 PM
Depends on the amount of alcohol and my mood. Sometimes alcohol really makes me more societable and outgoing. Other times it makes me even more introverted and I really get stuck in my own thoughts.