View Full Version : What Are Your Attitudes Toward Women?

aeon
05-15-16, 11:49 PM
What Are Your Attitudes Toward Women? (http://www.blogthings.com/whatareyourattitudestowardwomenquiz/)

aeon
05-15-16, 11:51 PM
Your Attitudes Toward Women Are Modern

https://images.blogthings.com/whatareyourattitudestowardwomenquiz/modern.jpg

Your attitudes toward women are no different than your attitudes toward men.
You're a big believe of gender equality, and you'll fight for people to be treated as individuals.

You get annoyed when women are held back from reaching their potential - even if they're the ones holding themselves back.
You think gender should be less important than we make it. We're all just people after all.

Hermus
05-16-16, 02:42 AM
Same as Aeon. At the same time there are certain cultural expectations. For example, in 80-90 percent of the cases it's still up to the man to set up first dates, pay on the first date etc. These things are very deeply ingrained into culture and most men as well as women expect things to be this way.

However, I certainly don't believe in the traditional idea that women are second to men. My mom always has put herself second place. Gave up a good job and career to care for the kids, always tries to adjust to everyone etc. I can't escape the feeling that it didn't bring her much happiness.

Fuzzy12
05-16-16, 03:20 AM
Same here: modern ;)

..and no, I wouldn't expect a man to pay for a woman on a date. Never have. I've always insisted on paying for myself. I remember though that a lot of women do expect this and it used to annoy the hell out of me.

aeon
05-16-16, 04:09 AM
Same as Aeon. At the same time there are certain cultural expectations. For example, in 80-90 percent of the cases it's still up to the man to set up first dates, pay on the first date etc. These things are very deeply ingrained into culture and most men as well as women expect things to be this way.

Thatís OK. I have no interest in dating anyone who takes on cultural expectations without questioning them, and for what it is worth, my sense is that the love of my life, should I ever find her, will have questioned that and thrown it out the window long before meeting me.

Cheers,
Ian

midnightstar
05-16-16, 04:16 AM
Same as you aeon :goodpost:

psychopathetic
05-16-16, 07:14 AM
I've been a bit confused on this topic for years.

My result was:

You aren't exactly modern in your beliefs, but you aren't traditional either.
You're generally pretty progressive when it comes to gender roles, but you wish that some traditions were preserved as well.Here's the thing though. I'm sexist. And I know that I am.
What confuses me...is if my sexism is wrong or not.
Now the only person I've ever talked to about this, was my old therapist...and she never did give me her own personal opinion one way or another on it.

I'm sexist in the way where I feel like women should be sheltered and protected. That it's man's job to provide for their comfort and well being.
I also view women as weaker I suppose than too. Physically I mean. But not in a negative way...or maybe it is negative and I just don't want to admit it.
It just feels like as a man, it's in my dna or whatever to physically protect women and girls.

I don't however feel like women are weaker than men in many ways. I think they're just as capable as almost any one else in most things.
And when it comes to working, and in being in leadership roles...I love it. I'm a big supporter of women's rights and being given leadership positions. In many aspects I think women are in general better suited in fact, to being in leadership roles.

...I think I live in a bit of a fairy tale still. I've lived my life apart from society for the most part and am stuck in a bubble.

I'm a sexist, but not in a demeaning manner. I'm a sexist in that I still think all women and girls are queens and princesses and should be treated as such :p.

I can't quite figure out if that's wrong or not. :scratch: I've wondered off and on if my view of women is bad for years.

Fuzzy12
05-16-16, 07:22 AM
Women are weaker physically. I mean not every woman is weaker than every man but on average. I don't think that's sexist.

The protection fairy princess thingy that might be a bit sexist even though not necessarily in a harmful way. It's just that your feelings are biased based on gender rather than maybe need. I guess it depends on how you act really. I can't see you forcing protection on anyone or trying to stop women from doing anything out of a sense of protection to be honest (which annoysthe hell out of me from anyone).

psychopathetic
05-16-16, 07:47 AM
I guess it depends on how you act really. I can't see you forcing protection on anyone or trying to stop women from doing anything out of a sense of protection to be honest (which annoysthe hell out of me from anyone).

I'm thinking about it...and maybe it's not all so bad.
I think I'm just a very polite person. Or at least my politeness is a big part of it.
I'm the kind of guy who always goes out of his way to hold doors open for people...I ALWAYS look behind me as I leave places, just to make sure there's no one behind me to open the door for...
But it's not JUST for women. I'm just as eager to hold a door open for a man, as I am a woman. It's just the polite thing to do.

But I do still feel more protective around women. Maybe that's my inner father I have inside me. My papa bear side lol. But I always feel that side comes out and I'm more watchful when women (or especially girls) are around.
And back when my nieces lived in town...haha you better watch it :p I was SUPER protective of them.

I don't know what it is. I don't think it's bad...I think it's just how I am I suppose.
Sometimes I think had circumstances been different...I would've grown up to be a police officer or something. Someone out there serving and protecting. I have a natural drive to protect...and that drive just happens to me much stronger for women (though not exclusively. That papa bear side of me comes out when my parents watch a couple autistic boys on the weekends as well. They've absolutely become brothers to me, and I'd rip someone's arms out before I'd let them harm them haha).

The fact that I've lived such a sheltered life, and haven't experienced a lot of things in life...also plays a major roll in how I feel.

Little Nut
05-16-16, 08:02 AM
[http://www.blogthings.com/whatareyourattitudestowardwomenquiz/results/?result=Mixed]Your Attitudes Toward Women Are Mixed[/url]

https://images.blogthings.com/whatareyourattitudestowardwomenquiz/mixed.jpg
You're generally pretty progressive when it comes to gender roles, but you wish that some traditions were preserved as well.

It's likely that you value personal choice and believe that there are many paths for happiness.
You think that being a stay at home mom and a hard charging business women are mutually admirable.

What Are Your Attitudes Toward Women? (http://www.blogthings.com/whatareyourattitudestowardwomenquiz/)

Blogthings: 100's of Fun, Free Quizzes! (http://www.blogthings.com)

"Thx" Aeon!! I get to start the day knowing I am part Neanderthal! -LN

(PS I already knew it.)

psychopathetic
05-16-16, 08:18 AM
"Thx" Aeon!! I get to start the day knowing I am part Neanderthal!

:giggle:

Fuzzy12
05-16-16, 09:56 AM
[http://www.blogthings.com/whatareyourattitudestowardwomenquiz/results/?result=Mixed]Your Attitudes Toward Women Are Mixed[/url]

https://images.blogthings.com/whatareyourattitudestowardwomenquiz/mixed.jpg
You're generally pretty progressive when it comes to gender roles, but you wish that some traditions were preserved as well.

It's likely that you value personal choice and believe that there are many paths for happiness.
You think that being a stay at home mom and a hard charging business women are mutually admirable.

Blogthings: 100's of Fun, Free Quizzes! (http://www.blogthings.com)

"Thx" Aeon!! I get to start the day knowing I am part Neanderthal! -LN

(PS I already knew it.)

Apparently breeding with neanderthals has improved the immunity of homo sapiens. :)

(I think at least it was immunity. ...and i think it was neanderthals...:eek: I vaguely remember reading something about breeding with another species which improved us in some way. . :scratch::lol::doh:

We did coexist for a while didn't we :scratch:

Ignore me!!! :doh:)

psychopathetic
05-16-16, 10:00 AM
No no! You're doing great!

Do tell us more! :giggle: :giggle:

(((((((Fuzz)))))))

BBSurf37
05-28-16, 10:55 AM
I like women. Yeah that's about it.

Chicky75
06-08-16, 07:58 PM
But I do still feel more protective around women.

Not to open a can of worms, but... I can understand good men being protective of women. However, I think the focus of that energy or impulse or whatever is misplaced somewhat. Good men might think women need to be protected more because there are a lot of times more threats specifically towards women, in general. At least, that was how I was reading how you want to protect us - from people who might hurt us, instead of telling us that we shouldn't do potentially dangerous things (for example, like skydiving) that would be okay for men, just because we're women.

If I'm reading it right, then I'd suggest not just trying to protect women, but also trying to help eliminate the need for that protection.

Sorry if this is a bit heavy for the Chit Chat section :o

psychopathetic
06-08-16, 11:42 PM
I'd suggest not just trying to protect women, but also trying to help eliminate the need for that protection.

I really like this statement a lot. :goodpost:

sarahsweets
06-09-16, 01:57 AM
I dont think there is anything wrong with wanting to protect women, so long as the idea really is to protect them from harm and not to stroke your ego.

Hermus
06-09-16, 02:53 AM
I've been a bit confused on this topic for years.

My result was:

Here's the thing though. I'm sexist. And I know that I am.
What confuses me...is if my sexism is wrong or not.
Now the only person I've ever talked to about this, was my old therapist...and she never did give me her own personal opinion one way or another on it.

I'm sexist in the way where I feel like women should be sheltered and protected. That it's man's job to provide for their comfort and well being.
I also view women as weaker I suppose than too. Physically I mean. But not in a negative way...or maybe it is negative and I just don't want to admit it.
It just feels like as a man, it's in my dna or whatever to physically protect women and girls.

I don't however feel like women are weaker than men in many ways. I think they're just as capable as almost any one else in most things.
And when it comes to working, and in being in leadership roles...I love it. I'm a big supporter of women's rights and being given leadership positions. In many aspects I think women are in general better suited in fact, to being in leadership roles.

...I think I live in a bit of a fairy tale still. I've lived my life apart from society for the most part and am stuck in a bubble.

I'm a sexist, but not in a demeaning manner. I'm a sexist in that I still think all women and girls are queens and princesses and should be treated as such :p.

I can't quite figure out if that's wrong or not. :scratch: I've wondered off and on if my view of women is bad for years.

There is no wrong or right view of the relationship between men and women in my point of view. If that is your attitude towards women that is so. It would mean that if you start dating you should look for a woman who shares the same attitude, so you can have an arrangement in which you both feel happy. However, if you see women as queens and princesses you should take care not to become a pushover. A princess needs a strong prince to help her flourish.

Corina86
06-09-16, 05:16 PM
Modern. I don't mind the idea of protection, but a guy can't really provide it. Maybe having several armed guards might do the trick, but your average blue/white collar worker guy doesn't stand a chance against anything actually dangerous, like criminals. Being safe is simply a matter of luck and precaution on my side. What I do need is someone who's caring, unselfish and helpful- and that goes for both genders. I wouldn't mind being a princess, but I was never pretty enough to be treated as one and I'm only getting older, so I'm getting more used to the idea that anything I get from others will always come with a lot of effort on my side as well, that nothing is ever really free.

Stevuke79
06-09-16, 05:31 PM
Whatever attitude my wife tells me to have

bluejay14
06-09-16, 05:34 PM
Whatever attitude my wife tells me to have hahaha are you my husband? That's exactly the joke he would make :D

bluejay14
06-09-16, 05:38 PM
Women are people :)
I don't need to be protected, and I feel patronised and uncomfortable if a man tries to treat me like I'm made of glass. But I don't really feel very "female" anyway, so I'm generally uncomfortable with gender stereotyping.

julialouise
06-09-16, 05:52 PM
I got: Modern

The belief that men and women are inherently different is just a social construct anyway. Yeah, masculine people can often put on more muscle, but a lot of that is because they're encouraged to. Most stereotypes, even if they look true, are more of a result of social expectations and performance than biological factors.

Also, the idea that our species only consists of Male/Female is flawed. There are far too many variances of chromosomes, hormones, and genitals that biological sex is as much of a spectrum as the rainbow. To believe that women and men can/should do certain things is archaic and founded in tradition, not reality.

psychopathetic
06-10-16, 02:05 AM
Women are people :)
I don't need to be protected, and I feel patronised and uncomfortable if a man tries to treat me like I'm made of glass.

This is exactly why I wonder if I'm a sexist and if I'm clearly in the wrong with my views on women.

I'm absolutely the kind of guy that feel like most women/girls are 'made of glass'.

I don't mean to be patronizing :(...I don't mean disrespect. It's just something deep inside of me that I can't hardly explain.

It to me doesn't feel negative...in fact I think it comes out of love. Though I could be very wrong on that...I haven't thought this over to be quite honest.

Not sure what else to say. I don't know if what I'm saying is upsetting some or not...I really don't mean for it to.
I go well out of my way to avoid being a pig of a man...of objectifying women, or thinking they're below me. Just cause I want to protect women, doesn't mean I think they're weak or incapable.

Blah...I just don't know what it is. I think it's hardwired in me. I'm not even sure I dislike being the way I am either...I like that feeling. The feeling of being a guard...a protector. It feels so rich and full of care, love, integrity and strength (not physical).

Am I in the wrong?
It's something I've asked myself many times over the years.

There may have also been some stuff that went down in me and my sister's childhood (T.M.I.) that has shaped my views on this stuff. My sister remembers things I don't. Then again...I don't remember most my childhood so it's tough.

...Also...lol...it doesn't help that I haven't spent much time with girls outside of my mother and sister during my 33 years on this weird rock. They still terrify me as if I was still a 13 year old zit faced kid :p.
I've lived an extremely sheltered life and am just in general weird and different. This is just another one of those things that keep me on the outside of the window...looking in...wondering how everyone is able to do this whole 'social' thing with such ease and grace.

psychopathetic
06-10-16, 02:18 AM
Whatever attitude my wife tells me to have

lol :lol: :lol: WIN! /end thread!! :goodpost: :lol:

Also...it's nice to see ya Steves! :)

(((((((King Steves!)))))))

BellaVita
06-10-16, 03:09 AM
Hehe well I'm sure not made out of glass....I've got muscles. :D

But I do like to feel safe and protected, although that is more for other reasons.

Korra from Legend of Korra is kinda my inspiration:
http://i68.tinypic.com/adnpm8.jpg

psychopathetic
06-10-16, 03:56 AM
Hehe well I'm sure not made out of glass...

OH OH OH!
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

/throws baseball at Bellsy to see if she breaks...
.../ball bounces off and lands on the floor with a soft thud.
/MIND BLOWN!!!
/....runs before she throws the ball back. I AM made of glass! :lol:

:eek:

Fuzzy12
06-10-16, 04:34 AM
There is no wrong or right view of the relationship between men and women in my point of view. If that is your attitude towards women that is so. It would mean that if you start dating you should look for a woman who shares the same attitude, so you can have an arrangement in which you both feel happy. However, if you see women as queens and princesses you should take care not to become a pushover. A princess needs a strong prince to help her flourish.

Well, there are lots of views of relationships that are fine even if different from each other but there are certainly some views as well that are rather harmful.

Also, women themselves could have very unhelpful views or harmful views of their role in relationships so even if both partners' views are the same they might still not be acceptable.

I can't believe I just wrote that. I used to think anything goes as long as everyone involved is happy with it and no one is harmed. I guess my worry is that for example a woman with a history of abuse or neglect might not realise that she's being abused or not treated well and so might not object or even realise that life could be so much better..

Psycho I don't think your views are harmful by the way. Well, it depends how they would play out in practice. I think the most important is to be respectful of another person's autonomy and self agency (is that a word? ??). I can imagine you be super caring and affectionate but I imagine that you'd be that while still respecting a woman's autonomy. The only danger is really of being over protective or like Hermus said of becoming a push over and neglecting your own needs.

For me, I hate being over protected. My parents have done that all my life and still try to do. So does my brother when he gets a chance. I hate being told what to do even if it's for my own good. I hate other people thinking they know better than me what is good for me and i hate when people try to keep me safe from physical danger by trying to curb my activities. I also hate being fussed over.

I do enjoy being pampered by hubby though but only to an extent... As long as he doesn't fuss over me or tries to tell me what to do in an attempt to keep me safe.

I think in the ideal relationship you do care about the other's person well being and make an effort to help them be well and happy (and this goes both ways) but when the relationship is between two adults then the need to protect is always trumped by the need to respect the other person's autonomy.

One last point...often the need and attempt to protect have got very little to do with an actual interest in the other person's well being (not talking about you psycho..just in general.) Often they arise from a desire to control or possess and I believe that has got nothing to do with affection.

. Sometimes also they are just driven by cultural expectations or the fear of repercussions (eg that you'll be blamed if you didn't walk your date home and then something happens to her on the way back). Sometimes that's OK....helping someone fmouth of a sense of duty can be a good thing ... if that help is needed and wanted. Again, respect for the autonomy of the other person trumps everything else.

Sometimes I think maybe the most loving thing you can do for another person is to allow them the freedom to make mistakes and to.live as they see fit even if you think it's harmful.or hurtful for them. That can be one of the most difficult things to do and I'm not sure to what extent I'd recommend that. Where do you draw the line? If we are talking about adults is there a line? It definitely requires a lot of strength to see someone you love do things that hurt them or might hurt them but sometimes you still just need to let them beand let them live their life..however they see fit. I think that is affection and love as well.

As an aside (or maybe I'm finally back on topic :scratch:) I get super annoyed by people who do certain polite or gentlemanly things...but just for women. Like holding the door open for a woman but slamming it in a man's face. Why would anyone do that???

psychopathetic
06-10-16, 06:26 AM
Yeah...It's probably for the best I'm not a dad.
If I had a daughter? She'd really grow to resent me I think.

http://skolenindefra.dk/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/protected.jpg

What?
I'm NOT being over protective! What if she trips and scrapes her knee!! :eek:

psychopathetic
06-10-16, 06:36 AM
I think the most important is to be respectful of another person's autonomy and self agency

Absolutely agree with this, and I think (well I at least hope so!) I'm pretty good at doing this. I don't think women are incapable...it's not like they "need" my or anyone else's help. It's not about that.
I think where my feelings are coming from are empathy maybe. I don't want to see girls (or anyone to be fair) suffer, or to be sad, or mistreated.
It's not that I find women incapable of taking care of themselves...cause I absolutely know they can...it's that I don't like to see them hurt. It hurts me to see women hurt :(. Sounds creepy as hell I know, it's just how I'm wired I guess.

also...

Often they arise from a desire to control or possess

I really don't think this is where my feelings come from. I'd sure like to think not at least.

I'm thinking of how protective of my sister I've felt most my life. It's never had anything to do with feeling more powerful than her, or gaining any sort of control over her.
same thing with my nieces. The "protector/guardian" that comes out in me around them has nothing to do with power over them.
Though now that I think about it...I do feel more physically powerful when I'm around people I want to protect (not just girls, but for instance the 2 autistic boys my parents watch on weekends)...but again, the power isn't power over them in anyway. It's just I feel stronger...braver.

psychopathetic
06-10-16, 06:39 AM
Also...and anyone can answer this...am I taking over this thread too much? I keep talking at length about me here and I'm really afraid I'm annoying people because of it, and pushing people away.

:grouphug:

Fuzzy12
06-10-16, 07:49 AM
Also...and anyone can answer this...am I taking over this thread too much? I keep talking at length about me here and I'm really afraid I'm annoying people because of it, and pushing people away.

:grouphug:

Not me..but then I've already written a novel on here..:lol:

Stevuke79
06-10-16, 04:21 PM
lol :lol: :lol: WIN! /end thread!! :goodpost: :lol:

Also...it's nice to see ya Steves! :)

(((((((King Steves!)))))))

Awwww.. youre mind :)
You too psycho!

Stevuke79
06-10-16, 04:23 PM
hahaha are you my husband? That's exactly the joke he would make :D

OMG ... Esther???? Is that you?!!!!! I didn't know you were on this forum...

Hermus
06-11-16, 03:06 AM
*snip*

Actually I agree with you. There are situations that are objectively harmful and abusive, even though the one suffering isn't aware it is abuse. Might be because someone doesn't know better or because of cultural expectations. Do you know the political theorist Nancy Fraser? She wrote an excellent article on exactly this subject matter a few years ago. Might look it up for you if you're interested.

At the same time there still is a subjective element that can't be overlooked. If someone gives his or her partner a beating without consent this is abusive. However, if exactly the same beating is given in a s&m relationship that takes place with mutual consent and enjoyment I wouldn't necessarily say it's abuse. Then it's just about two people being wired that way, which is not up to society to condemn. Same for some forms of control, protection etc.

C15H25N3O
06-11-16, 10:34 PM
No attitudes here but ...

You get annoyed when women are held back from reaching their potential - even if they're the ones holding themselves back.

... true

and gender equality made blind for social injustice!