View Full Version : How to increase effectiveness and avoid tolerJust got diagnosed & prescribed Vyvanse.

emoxify
05-17-16, 08:03 PM
I am a teenage girl who finally got diagnosed with ADD recently. I was prescribed 20mg vyvanse. In the past, I have been very sensitive to anti-depressants and mood stabilizers. This is my first time taking a stimulant.

I have taken it twice so far.

The first day I took it about 30 minutes after I ate some toast with vegan butter and a tofu/veggie scramble. I also took vitamin C, D and omega 3 before my breakfast. I felt much more clear headed (more than ever before) and quite energetic for the first half of the day (almost like I drank and energy drink). My focus was so much better and my appetite was suppressed a bit (until it wore off after about 10-11 hours).

The second day I took it about 30 minutes after my breakfast which was a smoothie (almond milk, vanilla, mango, banana, spinach) and the same vitamins as listed above. I did not feel energetic like I had the day before, my appetite was not suppressed, and my ability to focus was not altered very much at all.

What should I do differently? I want to increase and maintain the effectiveness of vyvanse for as long as possible. I don't like being on high doses of medications (unwanted side effects). I read online about decreasing vitamin C and increasing protein at the dosage time. Is this true? I also read something about magnesium helping to avoid building a tolerance. Any advice or insight on why after only 1 day the effectiveness wore off? Is it because I am on too low of a dose maybe??

C15H25N3O
05-19-16, 02:09 AM
Forget about food. Vyvanse is not absorbed in the stomach and does not irritate the stomach. Its absorbed in the intestine and split from the protein-molecules in the liver. Eating food means power but also disturbing the intestinal absorbing of Vyvanse. I boost Vyvanse with drinking coffee and eating food after its effect. Protein and Vitamin C have absolutely no effect on my Vyvanse. Amphetamin is a subtle but very heavy neuro-medication and it is stronger than any food. :-) You can avoid a tolerance only by not rising the dosage and not taking it every day.Not with magnesium which can have a positive effect on headaches like drinking water and eating sugar. I know here are many people seeing it as their daily medication with a daily need, but ... having a daily need for it is for me personally a kind of addiction.

Meteodan
05-19-16, 02:38 PM
You can avoid a tolerance only by not rising the dosage and not taking it every day.Not with magnesium which can have a positive effect on headaches like drinking water and eating sugar. I know here are many people seeing it as their daily medication with a daily need, but ... having a daily need for it is for me personally a kind of addiction.

Bottom line, if one is prescribed by one's doctor to take it on a daily basis, one should do so, and not take "drug holidays" unless specifically allowed by one's doctor.

Also, sorry, but having a daily need for a medication is not in itself an addiction. It *can* lead to addiction, but that's rare and usually comes about as a result of folks not following the directions of their doctor and taking more than they need, or the like. If you choose to view it that way, it's your business, but people come here for advice on medications which already have a huge stigma attached to them owing in part to ignorance on the part of people without ADHD, and in part owing to their abuse potential. We don't need to reinforce that by talking about normal, safe, therapeutic dosing as "a kind of addiction". Guess what, I need to put my contact lenses in every day in order to see clearly. Does that mean I'm addicted to my contact lenses?

Ok, rant off.

C15H25N3O
05-19-16, 08:06 PM
Contact lenses are no substance. If you need a coffee every morning to get up its not the caffeine the body needs. Its your brain sauce that needs a kick. Getting used to things and the impossibility of living without them is not an addiction but "kind of addiction". Many people should know this phenomenon especially from coffee to become "kind of tolerant" and drink more and more coffee every day. So have a break on drinking coffee for a hand full of weeks and you will be ok with your starting "dosage" of one coffee in the morning. Caffeine is also a stimulant, right?

I am not native english speaking. I know "addiction" is a bad word. Maybe i should call it a "habit that makes you think you need it". The wonderful side of amphetamin is you dont have to take it every day. Ask you physician.

By the way: I stopped taking Bupropion and Strattera each after 10 days without asking my physician due to side effects. Its my free will to take my Vyvanse and i am thankful i get them prescribed. No one can force me to take any substance.

Peace!

sarahsweets
05-19-16, 09:59 PM
Forget about food. Vyvanse is not absorbed in the stomach and does not irritate the stomach. Its absorbed in the intestine and split from the protein-molecules in the liver. Eating food means power but also disturbing the intestinal absorbing of Vyvanse.
While it is not a requirement to eat with vyvanse, it helps. It helps because it gets digestion moving and digestion is what gets the vyvanse moving, thats where the lisdexamfetamine dimesylate part comes into play. Unlike other amphetamines this one is broken down and sort of released via gut absorption etc. So IMO eating helps.

I boost Vyvanse with drinking coffee and eating food after its effect. Protein and Vitamin C have absolutely no effect on my Vyvanse. Amphetamin is a subtle but very heavy neuro-medication and it is stronger than any food. :-) You can avoid a tolerance only by not rising the dosage and not taking it every day.Not with magnesium which can have a positive effect on headaches like drinking water and eating sugar. I know here are many people seeing it as their daily medication with a daily need, but ... having a daily need for it is for me personally a kind of addiction.
This is ridiculous advice. Tolerance is so overrated and most people immediately assume tolerance is the reason their meds arent working the way they feel they should. Adhd is a chronic 24/7 365 day disorder that has a proven treatment and that treatment is best if taken everyday. Someone with bad rheumatoid arthritis who has a script for pain meds wouldnt suffer most days just to avoid a tolerance or 'seeming' addicted.
Addiction and dependence are competely different things.
I have a daily need for my bipolar meds, and I am a hazard in many ways without adhd meds. There is no evidence that taking breaks or only taking meds on some days has anythng to do with tolerance.

QuasarMind
05-20-16, 02:14 AM
I have found Vyvanse to be extremely sensitive to food intake within the first 3 hours of taking it. I suspect the "thicker" food intake you listed in example 2 crushed its effects, as does what happens in myself.

Be careful with the vitamin C. It is said its presence in the stomach somehow decreases its potency. I find vitamin C to be healthy but I have adjusted my vitamin C dose to nightly instead of morning. I don't know enough about vitamin C to know if this would have any reduction in daytime benefits. I have no personal experience to support that vitamin C will dampen the effects of Vyvanse. I did drink orange juice once with my Vyvanse and felt a less than normal effect but since I did not repeat this test I don't have any firm data.

Also 20mg Vyvanse is very far on the low end of the dosing range. When Vyvanse first came out, they only had 30mg, 50mg and 70mg capsules. I started on 70mg since I responded best to 30mg Adderall which was the supposed equivalent. Some people are very sensitive to amphetamine ADD meds while others need the maximum dose and get no side effects with such. I have the inattentive/foggy type ADD and find I need the maximum dose and still get virtually no side effects. I hypothesize this makes me less prone to "addiction" since I am not experiencing an "accelerated state of mind" when medicated, just simply closer to what a normal person should experience. I imagine if I were "normal" and took 70mg Vyvanse or 30mg Adderall it would have a narcotic effect on me that I only presume would be addictive.

C15H25N3O
05-21-16, 05:03 PM
While it is not a requirement to eat with vyvanse, it helps. It helps because it gets digestion moving and digestion is what gets the vyvanse moving, thats where the lisdexamfetamine dimesylate part comes into play. Unlike other amphetamines this one is broken down and sort of released via gut absorption etc. So IMO eating helps.

Digestion is also moving if you drink. Its not only food. Drinking is rule#1 although Vyvanse usually make no dry mouth. Amphetamines were used in the 30ies against sniffles due to its positive effects on the mucous membrane you also have in your mouth. Sadly this positive effect on the mucous membranes makes me smoking a lot although i could immediately stop smoking as amphetamines give me everything i need.

Sure everyone should eat cause strong diets are stress for the body and also have side effects like hypoglycaemia and can lead to deficiency symptoms.

I read too much about strict med intakes with diets to get special minerals, vitamins, fats, carbs and proteins. Its right our body needs all of them and our body will call for them what especially we with ADHD can learn to hear with a load of self reflection.

My physician would say: "This is too much ADHD for me if you especially think about choose this and that and organize your food and meals to strict."

I think he is right. Food is about nutrients and pleasure. it becomes obsessional (ADHD) if you start with supplements and industrial crap like whey. Nature is right and wild animals are better in choosing food than humans. Nature made fruits/vegetables colored and nice or interesting smelling and meat the predators lust.

This is ridiculous advice.
Its no advice but coffee works for me great. I would not drink chemicals like energy drinks. I have never been drinking so much coffee like since i started amphetamines.

And thanks for the word "dependence" which is was looking for. Amphetamines in medical use have no potential for addiction but meds can/will lead into a kind of dependence. If someone with ADHD would forget to take the amphetamines and would not be sure if (s)he took them this day its a very good sign for not being dependet or being in an addiction.

Another very nice advice of my physician is: "You dont have to take the amphetamines if you do things you have "real fun".

I think he is completely right with that. I would not have to take them but i still take them cause i cannot only do things meaning fun to me – but there are so many moments, days or couple of days which are pure hedonism which are the perfect time for breaks next to days you only wanna sleep or have to sleep.

ADHD is so different – not only hyper and hypo – and there is no special receipt as human being is even more different than only ADHD.

C15H25N3O
05-22-16, 05:20 AM
Let me say I split the day into hours of intestinal medication and intestinal nutrition.
If I eat before sleeping I have a very early breakfast. I dont wake up hungry and have
a perfect nutrition for medication without any disturbance or big changes of intestinal
activity. The sympathicus is director of the bodies process under stress.
Intestinal activity takes 30 % – 70 % of our bodies energy and dexamphetamine means
a lot of stress for whole gastrointestinal tract.

One of the biggest benefits of Vyvanses lisdexamphetamine is its just slipping through
the gastrointestinal tract similar like ?maybe lactose? without any pure
dexamphetamine-like influences and motions or any disturbance.

As Vyvanse is also prescribed for binge eating I think there should be no reasons against
fasting over the day and eating by evening/night if its not coming to a kind of anorexia. :-)

QuasarMind
05-27-16, 01:48 PM
Emoxify,

Again, if I were prescribed 20mg, I wouldn't even feel it at all nor get any therapeutic effect. Funny thing though, I did try taking a large (but not excessive) quantity of vitamin C before bedtime and while it might be placebo effect, I swear my Vyvanse 70mg started working better. Also it definitely helped improve sexual health (PM if you want detail), but I already knew vitamin C does that for me.

I suspect some of the difference you noticed was food intake though, after 5 months of taking Vyvanse I have found without one exception any food intake has a considerable to extreme effect on Vyvanse effectiveness. I even found milk (whole milk) and Wheaties cereal to do have a detrimental effect (maybe 40%) on Vyvanse effectiveness while a regular size meal is around 60% reduction. I only tried it a few times, but I did notice egg's to be among the least intrusive.

BBSurf37
05-27-16, 03:33 PM
Vitamin C diminishes most drugs in the body. I would hold off Vita C until night time. You also have an interesting diet. Not something I would do but it's interesting.

C15H25N3O
05-29-16, 02:37 PM
The last two days I had breakfast and Vyvanses did not work as it should. I was kind of "not my day". :-(

RedsHawk
05-29-16, 09:28 PM
The last two days I had breakfast and Vyvanses did not work as it should. I was kind of "not my day". :-(

interesting. what did you have for breakfast on those days? I find a light protein meals works well for me but when you are off you just know it so I'd like to know what you had.

good luck!

C15H25N3O
05-30-16, 04:47 AM
One day I had a pan full of eggs. This days was a little bit better than the day I had some asian food with rice, meat and vegetables.

Sure. Food rich of proteins work better on Vyvanse than carbohydrates.

Before is started having no breakfast and no lunch, which works well due to Vyvanse is also used against binge eating, I was eating less carbs. Not in the sense of an diet. I did not want them, less bread, less pasta.

One day of many days in a row without breakfast i got some legs pain in the evening. Bread and guacamole did not help although they are rich of carbs and good fats. I went better when i was eating two self made hamburgers.

I start my day with two cappuccino and 40mg of Vyvanse and I drink 4-8 cappuccino a day! Sometimes i have a brezel over the days.