View Full Version : Obsessive ADD - not enough mental "RAM" - Anyone have this as their main problem?

Obsessive_ADD
05-20-16, 08:24 PM
I have tried loads of ADD and OCD meds with no consistent success. Unlike your typical case of ADD, some people consider me very "focused". I'm persistent and keep going after something I want/need to an obsessive degree. Unfortunately, my problem is with processing new information rather than staying on track. My mind has trouble holding onto a piece of information long enough to properly decode the meaning of speech, written word, etc. at a consistent level. Some serotonin related drugs have given limited success, but nothing consistent. Buspar gave me some significant improvements for the first couple weeks but eventually stopped working. Has anyone seen this obsessive ADD type before? What usually works? Some days my brain works significantly better than others; I like to organize stuff quite a bit. SSRIs on their own don't work, not to mention the side effects that go with them.

PS: I'm on a gluten free diet currently and it seems like it MIGHT be helping but it's hard to tell and I'm definitely not significantly better.

sarahsweets
05-21-16, 05:30 AM
Ive never heard of obsessive adhd as a diagnosis before.
What works for me, is to have my husband "translate" new info for me. Like we have this new car now, he read the manual online but I still had him sit in the car with me and go over all the bells and whistles because it flew right out of my head. Written instructions kill me.

BellaVita
05-21-16, 06:32 AM
I can relate OP!

I often have trouble understanding what people say to me in real life and processing the information in real-time. It's more difficult with people I'm not super familiar with.

And verbal instructions nope I will get confused and overloaded after the first step and won't remember correctly the rest of the steps - it all gets jumbled.

Written communication is much better for me and instructions for things have to be super detailed.

I'm guessing the OP meant they have a diagnosis of OCD and ADHD.

Fuzzy12
05-21-16, 06:32 AM
Something similar happens to me at times. Its not constant but it's frustrating when it happens. E.g. I was just trying to read these exercise instructions and I just couldn't understand them, mainly because I couldn't hold two pieces of info in ny brain. Is this the kind of thing you are talking about?

What usually helps me is to break down the info into really small pieces and analyse each piece, if possible visually, ie by making diagrams or writing down stuff (with the exercises I just gave up though..not worth the bother).

Also stimulants seemed to help with this issue. I've never heard of obsessive adhd together. Is it basically adhd with Comorbid OCD?

Dachshund
05-22-16, 06:16 PM
The "not enough mental RAM" is actually how my doctor described my diagnosis. My issue was/is a few different problems combined, but essentially, I was utilizing some major coping strategies that were not very effective and overloading the "hardware" of my brain. It ended up translating into physical stress and pain.

Anyway, I was in University at the time, and I was struggling with focusing on school, social life, and family life. I had a few things that I was firmly obsessive about, for example I could never be late, so I would be ungodly early to avoid that, and obsessing over times and dates in my mind, repeating them over and over, to the detriment of other things. I also had the issue of retaining new information, because I was just overloading my brain with things like the above mentioned dates/time obsession. I look back now, and I realize that I could read an entire chapter and not know a single thing I read, because I was desperately trying to keep something like a dentist appointment in my brain, lest I forget it.

Essentially, I was coping with my ADD by using obsession to counter it. I don't think that makes me ADD and OCD, but it sure was an unhealthy pattern.

Obsessive_ADD
05-26-16, 02:35 AM
I can relate OP!

I often have trouble understanding what people say to me in real life and processing the information in real-time. It's more difficult with people I'm not super familiar with.

And verbal instructions nope I will get confused and overloaded after the first step and won't remember correctly the rest of the steps - it all gets jumbled.

Written communication is much better for me and instructions for things have to be super detailed.

I'm guessing the OP meant they have a diagnosis of OCD and ADHD.

Yes, I happen to have a co-morbid diagnosis of mild OCD, however that isn't meant to discount my points regarding "obsessive ADD". Essentially, I process things in a very detailed, analytical manner which leads to trouble in paying attention to what's important. In the presence of ample incoming information it becomes exhausting and I may just zone out. It seems like an a-typical form of ADD because I am so careful, analytical and organized (when I take the time to organize meticulosity) in everything unlike your stereotypical ADDer.

I'm curious if there's any meds/treatments that people can report work for this kind of ADD...if we could see what's going on inside, it's probably not your typical ADD from a neuro-chemical stand point. I've had more luck with certain serotonin drugs, but the effect didn't last.