View Full Version : Ritalin and everything abuse....I always want to be high

roham_06
05-22-16, 12:19 PM
Hello
I am 25 years old . around 5 years ago I was diagnosed with adhd, but my problem was about studying for university so I think there were no abuse.
it has been around a year which I started using ritalin occasionally and for fun.
taking it for surfing the net, playing video game...even washing dishes...every 2 hr 10 mg.
a months ago I decided to stop ritalin and take atomoxetin instead. first week was good but again I started ritalin....
yesterday I throw away my ritalins......and I am one day clean.
I found that the problem is not about only ritalin....it is about getting high...I even abused atomoxetine ( 3 times more than prescribed dosage = 3*40mg)
I abuse everything.......
I abuse caffeine....I abuse sedative pill and sleeperss....

I have no Idea what to do.....I am just sick and tired of my life
I just want to live in the moment....but I can't

sarahsweets
05-23-16, 01:27 AM
IMO, you need some professional help. The fact that you obtained the med illegally and and even went so far to abuse straterra leads me to believe that you are an addict and need help finding out why. We numb ourselves for a reason and whatever the substance is is not important, its a symptom.
And this doesnt mean you cant ever take stimulants again. Many people in recovery are able to take them as long as we are vigilant.
And you dont have to go inpatient for it either.
Abusing Stratterra is very serious.
people with adhd are more likely to have substance abuse issues like self medication or untreated adhd, or under-treated adhd.
There is a member here named McTavish who was very instrumental in his home state and involved with drug court to go about letting addicts be treated with stimulants. You can look up some of his explainations and info.

The bottom line is, " to thy own self be true". Only you will know when you are taking something for a legitimate reason or not.
And I am not trying to be an alarmist. I come from a place of experience- 3 big bottles of wine a day, all day, every day starting at 4am. Throwing up and drinking more. Morning shakes, etc.
I have over 3 years now (i use a 12 step program- not everyone needs this) and I have been on stimulants for over 10 years.Untreated, I never would have gotten sober.
XXXOOO

sketchywhale
05-25-16, 01:45 PM
Hello
I am 25 years old . around 5 years ago I was diagnosed with adhd, but my problem was about studying for university so I think there were no abuse.
it has been around a year which I started using ritalin occasionally and for fun.
taking it for surfing the net, playing video game...even washing dishes...every 2 hr 10 mg.
a months ago I decided to stop ritalin and take atomoxetin instead. first week was good but again I started ritalin....
yesterday I throw away my ritalins......and I am one day clean.
I found that the problem is not about only ritalin....it is about getting high...I even abused atomoxetine ( 3 times more than prescribed dosage = 3*40mg)
I abuse everything.......
I abuse caffeine....I abuse sedative pill and sleeperss....

I have no Idea what to do.....I am just sick and tired of my life
I just want to live in the moment....but I can't

Roham, Sarahsweets has very very solid advice, and experience. I too have been sober for three years. I was able to stop drinking, Adderall, pot, Robitussin. etc. and this was done by seeing a counselor, attending AA, and exercising daily. It is good to have support, people that you can count on when the urges to use get tough. The drugs are not the problem, the problem is that you are running and hiding from something that is deep, and probably hurts you too much to think about. Sometimes issues can be buried so deep that you may not even know it's there, but the drug abuse is a good signal of that. Chemical imbalance may the case too. Talking to a good MD or shrink might be a good start. Wellbutrin (it is also good for ADD) or something of the sort could help balance you out while you figure yourself out. Remember the more you try, and do to help yourself grow, the better you will most likely feel. If you only do one of the things that I mentioned, I am sure you will see some results. changing your lifestyle is important too. Even volunteering at some place that is meaningful to you, could bring balance into life, and give you a sense of purpose. But, like I said that more positive things you do the better your chances of feel better will be.