View Full Version : L-Methylfolate for genetic deficiency???

AddAnxiousMe
05-24-16, 11:32 PM
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I don't see an appropriate medication forum for this substance/drug. I have recently been diagnosed with ADD, but I have suffered from anxiety/panic/agoraphobia and depression that has never fully responded to medication. My doctor did a genetic test (swabbed my mouth) ad he said it showed that I inherited defective genes of some kind (he said some big words!) from each parent that greatly reduces my body's ability to convert folate into l-methylfolate, and that may be why I am more depressed and not responding to, or have my antidepressants poop out on me after a while. He seemed really excited about this discovery, especially since I inherited a defective gene from each parent. He wants me to take a drug called Deplin. I am on Effexor, Valium and Adderall, and he has hopes this Deplin may help them all work much better. He says l-methylfolate enables the brain to produce all major neurotransmitters, like serotonin, norepi and dopamine
Anyone have any input on this medication, and especially those defects he mentioned? I can't even remember the names he used.
Thanks!

Little Nut
05-25-16, 01:06 AM
This probably should be posted under depression in the comorbid section of the forum.

Try this (http://www.psychiatrist.com/JCP/article/_layouts/ppp.psych.controls/BinaryViewer.ashx?Article=/jcp/article/Pages/2008/v69n09/v69n0901.aspx&Type=Article). You should be able to access. If issues, google l-methylfolate and Stahl. (It is the write-up re: l-methyfolate in Stahl's psychopharmacology text.) I did a quick refresh, it plays a role in synthesis and metabolism of the monoamaines. So it could lead to depressive symptoms or drastically reduce the effectiveness of AD's such as the SNRI's/SSRI's because the monoamines they cal for can not be produced. In any event it MAY be the cause behind some of your depressive symptoms and/or your AD's not working well. Sounds like really good news and a simple fix, at least for the deficiency. Best Wishes, -LN.

PS. Pls excuse my post if a little unclear. I am very tired and my focus is shot.

AddAnxiousMe
05-25-16, 01:23 AM
Thanks LN, I appreciate the link. I hope it works for me with no weird effects.
If the moderators think this should be in the depression forum, that would be good.
I'm waiting to hear from my doctor since my insurance doesn't cover this very expensive vitamin/medicine. My pharmacy wants over $170.00, and that's with a discount!!!! My doc said he could get it for me from some (doctors?) catalog for $30.00 a month.

sarahsweets
05-25-16, 03:09 AM
I am not 100% sure about this but I was under the impression that those mouth swabs for depression and mental health genetic type stuff wasnt proven to be scientifically acurtate?
I forget where I read that. Has anyone else heard of that?

AddAnxiousMe
05-25-16, 08:36 AM
I am not 100% sure about this but I was under the impression that those mouth swabs for depression and mental health genetic type stuff wasnt proven to be scientifically acurtate?
I forget where I read that. Has anyone else heard of that?

I don't think it's used to diagnose mental health problems, it's more for checking enzymes and other things that break down medications. My doctor told me that some people metabolize medications much faster than others and would therefore need higher doses, and vice versa.
Anyway, I hope that l-methylfolate works.

Unmanagable
05-25-16, 09:11 AM
I would get a copy of my records from that particular visit (simply call and request it from the receptionist) and have the exact terminology he used in front of me to be able to research a lot deeper, with much more certainty, before I agreed to spend that much money on trying anything.

It's not always easy to keep up with what they say, so we have to work even harder at being our own best advocates, researchers, etc.

They're simply going from a script they memorized a long damn time ago in medical school, and whatever other schooling they absorbed, or whatever other incentives may be driving their suggested methods at the time.

Your diet can greatly affect how well your body absorbs medications, too. Our inner terrain can wreak some behavioral/psychological/physical havoc, but rarely gets recognized.

Little Nut
05-25-16, 09:30 AM
Guys, honest not trying to muck-up the post. I think I have this right, but if not, just jump in and correct. Also it is kinda normal AD treatment stuff.

The genetic test(s) was for the genes responsible to produce the enzymes that regulate l-methylfolate metabolism/levels. My "guess" is that AAM's doc not only did the genetic testing, but had bloodwork done for l-methyfolate levels. So in this case, the l-methylfolate will act as an adjunctive treatment for depression. ---phew--- I think I hurt my brain.:faint:

AddAnxiousMe
05-25-16, 02:38 PM
Actually, I've been told that even if the levels of folate are in range in the blood, it really doesn't matter because I don't have enough of that certain enzyme to convert it to the active l-methylfolate. I still haven't heard back from my doc about the Deplin he's supposed to get for me at a better price. I've always had problems reaching my psych doc (something I'm sure none of you have a problem with:rolleyes:).

AddAnxiousMe
05-25-16, 02:44 PM
BTW, here is the name of the genetic testing company my doctor used: genesight by Assurex health. The website is: genesight.com

namazu
05-25-16, 03:09 PM
Actually, I've been told that even if the levels of folate are in range in the blood, it really doesn't matter because I don't have enough of that certain enzyme to convert it to the active l-methylfolate.
Most likely, they picked up a mutation in the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (NAD(P)H) -- MTHFR -- gene (https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/MTHFR), which (as you know already) is related to your body's ability to process folic acid/folate.

Genetic testing is not at a point where it can be used to make a firm diagnosis of ADHD or depression or other mental disorders in the general population. It's also not good enough to reliably predict which meds will work for which people.

However, it can detect the presence of a small number of known genetic variants related to metabolism and enzymes, which may be useful in troubleshooting certain problems.

The MTHFR mutation related to folate, involved here, is one example.

Cytochrome P450 2D6 (https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/CYP2D6) is another enzyme involved in metabolism of certain medications, whose efficiency is known to be influenced by genetic mutations. Mutations in this gene make some portion of the population "poor metabolizers" or "slow metabolizers" of medications that are processed via this pathway, which can influence how well such medications work and at what doses.

I still haven't heard back from my doc about the Deplin he's supposed to get for me at a better price. I've always had problems reaching my psych doc (something I'm sure none of you have a problem with).
What? A pdoc who's hard to reach?! Never! :rolleyes: ;)

Deplin is produced by Nestle and is classified as a "medical food". This means it is intended to be administered under the general supervision of a physician, but it is not actually a prescription drug and has not undergone formal FDA review like a drug. There are other companies marketing L-methylfolate (probably at a lower price) as dietary supplements, though a quick search suggested that Nestle had sued some other brands for trademark infringement or something.

Anyway, if your doctor wants you to take L-methylfolate, you might look around various sites for reviews of different brands/formulas to see if others with the same genetic variants have had good results with these other brands at a lower price. If there's some re-test you could have done to see if your levels of the relevant substances have improved, that would be one way to check whether or not it's working. (I don't know the lab tests for this particular issue, so you'd have to check with your doctor, once the doc picks up the phone...) And of course, caveat emptor (buyer beware); reviews online are not necessarily accurate, and some may be paid for by the companies marketing the supplements!

Good luck getting in touch with your doc, and I hope that treating the folate issue will bring improvements in other areas as well!

AddAnxiousMe
05-25-16, 03:42 PM
Thanks very much for your input, I appreciate it. I did look around online and found one brand called MethylPro. Seems to have good reviews and also has B12 and B6 combo forms available. Seems all three should be taken together, from what I read on the net (although my doc never mentioned it). The price is the same as what my doctor said he could get it for, so maybe I'll try to reach him again and ask him about that brand of l-methylfolate so I can order it myself. It is disgraceful what they charge for an active form of a vitamin. Over $170.00 for a months supply. And the girl told me that's with a discount!:eek:
:thankyou:

br3akingchains
08-18-16, 02:55 PM
Any updates?? I've been doing a lot of reading about this very subject (mthfr gene and other gene mutations) for the past few days.

I've found most supplements that are suggested ,after medical consultation , on Amazon for reasonable prices. Did you try out any supplements with success?