View Full Version : Ebony

midnightstar
05-26-16, 03:21 PM
(For this post it's because of a conversation I had with a member of my family, basically Ebony's not been well and we were discussing worst case scenario for in case the vet finds anything horrible that's making her ill)

For the record we're going to see what the vet finds wrong before we decide anything, Ebony is seeing the vet on Saturday.

Basically the past couple of nights I was able to have Ebony on my lap and she was really listless and didn't seem to care what I did to her (which is very unlike her, normally if she doesn't like something she'll tell anyone around to shove it up their butt)

So here's what she has going for her at the moment:
She's 5 (which in human years is around 30-39 in human years) so she'd likely make a recovery if it was anything really bad wrong with her
With Tigger around it's given her a real boost, before she became ill she'd be more active than she was when Tom died)
Ebony is certain Tigger is her kitten
She loves me and my mum (and she adores quiet kids)
She's basically saved me from myself and I am willing to give her every chance I can
She's still eating (not needing encouragement) and drinking a bit of water (with encouragement)

What she's got against her:
Asthma
A history of abuse throughout the first 2 years of her life
She had a really bad infection when she got picked up by rescue (which for all we know could return)
She's never fully recovered from losing some of her kittens
She trusts me and Mum but we don't want to cause her even more trauma if the vet wants to do anything really traumatic to her even if it's to help her recover
She spent the last 2 nights really listless like she really couldn't give a crap about anything and hiding away from the world

idk what's exactly wrong with her, just getting this out somewhere so if it is anything serious I can hopefully get a bit of feedback and support. :(

psychopathetic
05-26-16, 03:31 PM
:(

((((((((((((((Eb-Ebs))))))))))))))

I'm sending loving thoughts her way. I really do love your 2 kitties even though I've never met them! lol <3 <3 <3

She really is lucky to have such a great furmommy.

(((((((Mids)))))))

:(

Fuzzy12
05-26-16, 03:34 PM
It seems like she has a lot going for her now in spite of her tough start in life. I hope she'll feel better soon and won't get another infection. I'm really sorry, this must be hugely stressful for you. At least Ebony is in the best of hands now!!!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

midnightstar
05-26-16, 03:36 PM
Forgot to say, one thing that's scaring me is the vet down in Yorkshire said she may not live beyond the age of 5 because of her problems and she's 5 this year :(

Fuzzy12
05-26-16, 03:39 PM
Forgot to say, one thing that's scaring me is the vet down in Yorkshire said she may not live beyond the age of 5 because of her problems and she's 5 this year :(

That is scary. When did the vet say that? Has this vet seen her recently? I can imagine that the care that you have been giving her will have significantly increased her life span.

Fortune
05-26-16, 03:39 PM
Here's hoping she recovers from whatever malaise she currently has. :grouphug:

midnightstar
05-26-16, 03:41 PM
That is scary. When did the vet say that? Has this vet seen her recently? I can imagine that the care that you have been giving her will have significantly increased her life span.

The vet said that two years ago, the vet up here saw her for her booster a few months ago and didn't pick up anything untoward :(

I'm not a good enough kitty mum to her am I :(

stef
05-26-16, 03:55 PM
what? no you're the best kitty mom possible!
sending healing thoughts :grouphug:

TygerSan
05-26-16, 04:10 PM
(((Hugs)))

Sending healing vibes, and I'm so sorry you have to wait until Saturday to get answers. That's got to be rough.

Whatever the outcome of the appointment is, whatever yours (and Ebony's) decision is, rest assured you are a good kitty mother.

I understand completely about wanting to avoid traumatizing poor Ebony, also.

We had the choice of treating the kitty I grew up with when he developed kidney failure. . . but when we brought him back from the vet after the first set of fluids, he hid in my closet all day long and refused to come out.

I brought all of the supplies from work to do fluids subcutaneously, but . . . I couldn't restrain him, and I couldn't bring myself to use the needle on such a frail cat. He wasn't a lap cat, and he wouldn't have been able to sit still long enough. Still, giving up was one of the hardest decisions I've ever made.

midnightstar
05-26-16, 04:12 PM
idk if she'd be alive now if I hadn't adopted her, but I still feel like a bad "mum" to her .....

TygerSan
05-26-16, 04:14 PM
idk if she'd be alive now if I hadn't adopted her, but I still feel like a bad "mum" to her

You've given her 5 brilliant years, at least 2 different playmates, and a safe and stable home so far. You're a good kitty mother. (((Hugs)))

I was just about to edit out the specifics of my post above. Sorry to bring up something traumatic. I wasn't thinking . :(

TygerSan
05-26-16, 04:16 PM
Also, black cats rule. I'll keep you in my thoughts on Saturday. Hopefully she'll pull through just fine. :)

midnightstar
05-26-16, 04:17 PM
You've given her 5 brilliant years, at least 2 different playmates, and a safe and stable home so far. You're a good kitty mother. (((Hugs)))

I was just about to edit out the specifics of my post above. Sorry to bring up something traumatic. I wasn't thinking . :(

It's ok no need to edit anything :grouphug:

She's had 3 years with me and 2 years of hell before that (she was in rescue for a few weeks while they battled to save her life)

midnightstar
05-26-16, 04:21 PM
Also, black cats rule. I'll keep you in my thoughts on Saturday. Hopefully she'll pull through just fine. :)

I hope so, knowing that she went through 2 years of hell makes me want to give her every chance possible, as long as it won't cause her more suffering in the long run ......

Fuzzy12
05-26-16, 04:23 PM
The vet said that two years ago, the vet up here saw her for her booster a few months ago and didn't pick up anything untoward :(

I'm not a good enough kitty mum to her am I :(

No. You are the best!!!! It's obvious she's improved hugely

Lunacie
05-26-16, 05:08 PM
I think you're a wonderful kitty-mom. She's very lucky that you brought her home with you.

You realized she needed a kitty friend, you noticed she wasn't feeling well, you are willing to spend your day off work to take her to the kitty doctor.

I will keep good thoughts for Ebony, the black beauty. :grouphug:

And good thoughts for you, I know it's worrying when our loved ones are sick. :grouphug:

midnightstar
05-26-16, 05:19 PM
I think you're a wonderful kitty-mom. She's very lucky that you brought her home with you.

You realized she needed a kitty friend, you noticed she wasn't feeling well, you are willing to spend your day off work to take her to the kitty doctor.

I will keep good thoughts for Ebony, the black beauty. :grouphug:

And good thoughts for you, I know it's worrying when our loved ones are sick. :grouphug:

Saturday isn't a day I normally work:grouphug:

Ebony's hiding still, normal for her is tucking herself up on the bed where I sleep so she can mix her smell and my smell, idk where she's been going when she's been feeling ill http://www.4smileys.com/smileys/sick-smileys/fever_smiley.gif (http://www.4smileys.com)

Socaljaxs
05-26-16, 05:21 PM
:grouphug::grouphug: from one fur mommy to the other:grouphug:

Lunacie
05-26-16, 05:27 PM
Saturday isn't a day I normally work:grouphug:

Ebony's hiding still, normal for her is tucking herself up on the bed where I sleep so she can mix her smell and my smell, idk where she's been going when she's been feeling ill http://www.4smileys.com/smileys/sick-smileys/fever_smiley.gif (http://www.4smileys.com)

Yes Superstar, I was saying that not everyone would spend their day off from work taking a pet to the vet when there are other things to do with that time, like sleeping in, or laundry, or shopping.

midnightstar
05-26-16, 05:29 PM
Yes Superstar, I was saying that not everyone would spend their day off from work taking a pet to the vet when there are other things to do with that time, like sleeping in, or laundry, or shopping.

Sorry I misread you :o I thought you said about taking a day off work to take her to the you know where :o

Tigger's now come over for a :grouphug: and to nibble any noses that get too close to her, whatever happens on Saturday I'll still have one girl ....

Anyway Ebony's worth it, she's done so much for me so why wouldn't I give something back to her :grouphug:

Hermus
05-26-16, 05:48 PM
So sorry to hear about Ebony, Midnightstar. I really hope everything will go well with her.

midnightstar
05-26-16, 06:13 PM
Thanks Hermus, I'll keep everyone posted about what the vet says (I'll be back online tomorrow morning but after that I've got family over so will only be able to hop on and off) :grouphug:

Fuzzy12
05-26-16, 06:24 PM
Fingers crossed..paws and tails too!! :grouphug:

BellaVita
05-26-16, 06:29 PM
You are so dedicated to your kitties and you are such a great mom. :grouphug:

If I were a cat I'd definitely want you as my owner!

I'll be sending prayers and good thoughts for Ebony :grouphug:

Little Nut
05-26-16, 07:25 PM
Best wishes MS. From my knothole in the fence, you're a good kitty momma. You love the kitty and she loves you. The rest is really gravy imvho. A kitty that went through 2 years of bad abuse at the hands of someone, would surprise me that it would ever trust a human let alone love one as it does you. So whatever happens you made this poor creature's life better and somewhat normal for the last 3 years and doing so should be a great source of pride. -LN

*hugs*

psychopathetic
05-27-16, 09:06 PM
Just sitting here thinking about my Lil-Ebsy-Websy :(

((((((((((((((Ebs))))))))))))))

And Tig-Tigs too :(. I'm sure it must be hard on her to see Ebs not doing well.

((((((((((((((Tigs))))))))))))))

(((((((Midsy)))))))

psychopathetic
05-27-16, 09:07 PM
Fingers crossed..paws and tails too!! :grouphug:

OH!
So you really ARE a monkey!!!
:lol:

midnightstar
05-28-16, 05:26 AM
About to get Ebony into the carrier to take her to the you all know where, yesterday was a good day (she really perked up when my family came over) but I'm still taking her so we can make sure there's nothing serious going on that caused her to not be herself.

Post later :grouphug:

psychopathetic
05-28-16, 05:33 AM
((((((((((((((Midnight))))))))))))))

I'm so glad your kitties have someone who cares about them so deeply.

midnightstar
05-28-16, 07:50 AM
Run on real quick for an update, Ebony's home again now, vet said if she doesn't improve by next week they want to do a blood test and see what's going on with her.

bbl

Little Nut
05-28-16, 09:36 AM
MS, The expectation is that she will improve during the coming week?

bryanrc51
05-28-16, 10:18 AM
It's always hard, sometimes I have noticed my putties feel better after a little raw meat but maybe in her current state that might do more harm than good and I would hate to make it worse. Hugs and healing energy to you and your putty.

Btw black cats rule, I am only have black cats now.

midnightstar
05-28-16, 01:14 PM
Vet says the meds should help her, she perked right up yesterday, hoping it's going to be a permanent "feeling much better" kinda thing

bbl again can't stick around, family around and too much on right now

psychopathetic
05-28-16, 02:19 PM
Yay!

(((((((EBSY)))))))

:D

midnightstar
05-28-16, 03:14 PM
Even though she perked up that much yesterday I still thought it best to get the vet to have a look at her, hence why she's now on meds, think first dose has already helped her (she's been running around and playing tonight) :grouphug: :D

bbiab :grouphug:

Lunacie
05-28-16, 04:16 PM
Such happy news! :yes: