View Full Version : Vyvance and Drinking Problems

Syndicki
05-28-16, 02:27 PM
Hi Guys,

I have never really posted here but I have a question that I would be really interested in hearing peoples thoughts on.

I am 32 and was diagnosed with ADD about 2 years ago. I always struggled with many aspects of daily life and my diagnosis has improved my quality of life dramatically. Initially I was prescribed 20 mg of Vyvance and eventually progressed to 50 MG which I have been taking for nearly a year.

I have drank all of my adult life, but when I was younger before my diagnosis I was always a binge drinker (i.e I would very drunk during the weekend and then not really drink during the week). When I first took my medication, this pattern continued and to be honest, I did not have an issue with this pattern as more often than not I would only really drink on 1-2 days a week at most. Over the past year, I had a boss in work who picked on me a lot and made my life very difficult, and over the course of time I found myself drinking more and more often until it came to the point where i drank every day. I started getting very bad anxiety and I realize now that drinking was making it a lot worse and I came to the point where I woke up shaking and needed to drink to feel normal. In my mind I did not even think that my anxiety was related to drinking so much. Eventually, I came to breaking point and I had to go on sick leave from work, and I was getting nervous even leaving the house. I ended up leaving my job and moving to another city. I found I new job that I prefered and have been in this role for a number of months.

I decided that I would try and put the past behind me and I was able to start working again. However, I found that I was still drinking every day and was trying to find any excuse to drink. I think it's worth pointing out and I had a lot of family issues I have been struggling to deal with and my family live several thousand miles away. I realized that I needed to sort myself out and do something about my drinking. I ended up calling a counsellor and they told me that my drinking was probably making my anxiety worse. I suppose this was a lightbulb moment for me and I realized I needed to drastically cut back on the amount I was drinking. This proved harder than I thought. However, I am making progress slowly but surely. I have cut out all wine and spirits and now just drink beer. Over the past week I have moved to a lighter beer than I was used to drinking and have significantly cut down on the amounts I drink. Over the past 10 days there have been two days where I did not drink at all (which may not seem much, but to me it was) as I could not remember the last day over the past year I had not drank.

Interesting enough, I used to be a very heavy smoker and smoked a pack a day for about 15 years. I have not had a cigarette for the the past 8 months, and doubt I will ever have one again. I also was someone who never exercised and now I have been going to a a running group and to the gym several times a week. I'm running my 1st 1/2 Marathon in July. 8 months ago, I could not run 1K. I am also seeing a psychiatrist on a weekly basis. I know I have a lot of work to do, but I feel things are slowly moving in the right direction. My anxiety is far less worse than it was and I am slowly starting to live a more productive life again

My questions to you guys are

1) do any of you have similar experiences with drinking and Vyvance? 2

2) I am finding that my Vyvance is somewhat less effective than it used to be, and was wondering if this was because of so much drinking, and if I continue to cut back as I have been doing, will the effects start to increase again.

3) Also, I don't really have any friends who can fully understand what I'm going through and although people are supportive, they think I'm doing great by myself and even though I have told them I more support, I just don't feel I am getting it. I am considering joining a ADD support group and was wondering if people have had positive experiences?

I apologize for writing such a long post, but wanted to explain my story fully. If anyone can give me some advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Pilgrim
05-28-16, 04:33 PM
You've done so well to get this far.
Cut out the drink. Anxiety is a bad crutch.
I've never gone to an ADD support group but I intend to.
Emotional support is so important, we all need it.
Meds will become less effective naturally.

Twiggy
05-28-16, 09:41 PM
I have always had a drinking problem too. I spilled my water constantly.

sarahsweets
06-06-16, 04:52 AM
I dont think you should look at your drinking problem as something related to vyvanse. I am am alcoholic and while it may not be my job to tell you you are one, your drinking reminds me a lot of how mine was. I got sober over 3 years ago. We dont need alcohol. You dont need to drink, so why would you? Well thats where the addiction comes into play. Drinking problems are more like thinking problems. Using alcohol to moderate or alter our moods sets us up for a drinking problem. People with adhd, especially untreated are more likely to have substance abuse issues.

If I were you I would seriously get help with the alcohol problem and forget about its connection to meds, jobs, people, stress etc. People who drink to much will always find an excuse to drink.

lntense
07-19-16, 12:17 PM
Sorry to hear, as I can relate to what you're going through.

1) do any of you have similar experiences with drinking and Vyvance? Yes, although I am prescribed adderall. During the comedown, I do tend to really just want some vodka because I know it will instantly make me feel better, and usually I have a girl coming over or something and don't want to be in that weird stimulant come down mood.

2) I am finding that my Vyvance is somewhat less effective than it used to be, and was wondering if this was because of so much drinking, and if I continue to cut back as I have been doing, will the effects start to increase again. I believe so, when I am hungover the effects of adderall are literally cut in half. A positive though, is the adderall cures the hangover lol. Catch 22.

3) Also, I don't really have any friends who can fully understand what I'm going through and although people are supportive, they think I'm doing great by myself and even though I have told them I more support, I just don't feel I am getting it. I am considering joining a ADD support group and was wondering if people have had positive experiences? No experience in my case, I just had to eliminate the alcohol for the most part. Lifting weights really helped me do this, because I didnt want to be busting my *** in the gym and getting half the gains I would be if I wasn't drinking on a daily basis. Find a hobby or something you can enjoy without drinking.

sarahsweets
07-27-16, 10:18 AM
1) do any of you have similar experiences with drinking and Vyvance? Yes, although I am prescribed adderall. During the comedown, I do tend to really just want some vodka because I know it will instantly make me feel better, and usually I have a girl coming over or something and don't want to be in that weird stimulant come down mood.
[/B]

In my experience, this sort of feeling is a result of too high a dose.

maysarieltiff
08-14-16, 11:34 PM
Have been told that drinking more than one or two drinks negates any effect the stimulants have.

sarahsweets
08-17-16, 03:10 AM
Have been told that drinking more than one or two drinks negates any effect the stimulants have.
It wont negate anything but it will make you feel less drunk then you actually are.