View Full Version : Anxiety and work

casper
05-28-16, 11:08 PM
Had a very intense convo with my boss the other day regarding my non confrontational management style, which is not a good style to have. I took this very personally, and am concerned about my job.

It was suggested that I avoid having difficult convos with my staff. I have never been one to flat out say what your doing is wrong, or I think your under the influence of something. I just don't have the guts to do it.

Is this anxiety?

I have one particular client that makes me very anxious on a daily basis. Every day I am waiting to see what her problem is. Within the last few weeks I have been very on edge about her, anxious if you will. I have even been crying when there is an issue. Obviously this is not very professional, but it's reality.

I have never had a formal diagnosis of anxiety, but Iam starting to think this is what it is. The last few days I have had some trouble getting a deep breath, this has happened to me in the past, but it's been a while. Again, is this an anxiety thing?

What do I do about it

Pilgrim
05-31-16, 06:27 PM
I would go and seek a medical opinion on this.
In my workplace, there is a co worker who's made a nuisance of himself toward me. He is clashing with me over a personal issue. This guys behaviour is probably not the first time this has occurred.
I do find myself getting anxious about this situation, especially before work. Once I get going I'm ok.

We don't like each other, and that's cool. I thought to myself if this thing gets to the point where it's affecting my work I've got a problem. I won't let it intrude but sometimes I battle with this.

Being more ' up front ' toward people is more a personality thing. And it's not good or bad. Talk to your boss convince them your a bit tough.

What is it about this client that does ' worry ' you ?

Little Missy
05-31-16, 06:33 PM
Anxiety and my job permeates my entire life every day. I work 7 days a week. Okay, so I get a three hour lunch, but geez, I never have time to ever get anything done and if I do, I go back to work feeling like I had never left.:eek:

stef
06-01-16, 09:42 AM
I don't think having a non-confrontational style, means "not having guts".
It means you're a considerate person. I'm sure you can find a way to address any problems, in YOUR style. A manager who is tuned into their staff's issues is greatly appreciated.

as for the rest, well im an executive assistant working for a demanding person so as Missy says "i am permeated by anxiety" on a daily basis. I wish I could fix this but I can't.

I don't work weekends though and ok you have a 3 hour lunch but honestly, I think they should give you a scheduled, whole day off occasionally. like every 10 days or something.

casper
06-04-16, 07:32 PM
This particular client complains about something on a daily basis. She is never happy with the service we give her.

I have now been told I have a mandatory meeting with EAP because of this lack of confrontation and the thought that my boss thinks I have issues going on in my personal life which are affecting work. I don't

Little Missy
06-04-16, 08:43 PM
This particular client complains about something on a daily basis. She is never happy with the service we give her.

I have now been told I have a mandatory meeting with EAP because of this lack of confrontation and the thought that my boss thinks I have issues going on in my personal life which are affecting work. I don't

Maybe asking the client what would make the service better for them yourself. :confused:

casper
06-05-16, 08:12 AM
Little missy- been there, done that, unsuccessful

stef
06-05-16, 08:32 AM
This problem with the client, has nothing to do directly with the EAP?
also do you otherwise have a good relationship with your boss?
(sorry i dont mean to bombard you with questions, id like to help my boss is difficult...)

casper
06-05-16, 10:42 AM
Yes, client prob unrelated.

Yes, great relationship with my boss. I think referral is more from HR

Greyhound1
06-05-16, 10:45 AM
Had a very intense convo with my boss the other day regarding my non confrontational management style, which is not a good style to have. I took this very personally, and am concerned about my job.

It was suggested that I avoid having difficult convos with my staff. I have never been one to flat out say what your doing is wrong, or I think your under the influence of something. I just don't have the guts to do it.

Is this anxiety?

I have one particular client that makes me very anxious on a daily basis. Every day I am waiting to see what her problem is. Within the last few weeks I have been very on edge about her, anxious if you will. I have even been crying when there is an issue. Obviously this is not very professional, but it's reality.

I have never had a formal diagnosis of anxiety, but Iam starting to think this is what it is. The last few days I have had some trouble getting a deep breath, this has happened to me in the past, but it's been a while. Again, is this an anxiety thing?

What do I do about it

I think it is related to anxiety for sure. I have and do experience a lot of what you describe.

I would see your Dr. about the anxiety. I never had any success being treated for depression which is where many Dr.'s begin anxiety treatment. My Dr. told me 90% or more of anxiety issues are related to depression.

I must fall in the 10% because SSRI's and SRI's never helped at all. I use Xanax occasionally and it helps a lot when I have severe anxiety.

Best wishes in getting it worked out!

casper
06-05-16, 11:50 AM
interesting. thank you for the insight.

Mollyylong
06-08-16, 06:11 PM
I have really bad anxiety. With or without my Xanax, I still tend to take deep breaths, but I would definitely go see a dr because like you said, it's unprofessional. I think you have a big heart and want everyone to like you. But you should worry more bout yourself than others. You can't make everyone happy. I'm not saying be selfish, but get out of your shell ! Reality is a pain in the butt.

casper
07-02-16, 09:31 AM
could my face turning red be from anxiety as well? I seem to notice this a LOT more at work as of recently. Very rarely does it happen to me at home.

just trying to get to the bottom of this

Little Missy
07-02-16, 09:34 AM
could my face turning red be from anxiety as well? I seem to notice this a LOT more at work as of recently. Very rarely does it happen to me at home.

just trying to get to the bottom of this

yeah, I go red with anxiety