View Full Version : ADHD and sports injuries

krowe91
06-01-16, 12:49 AM
So i was wondering how many people here have been injured and i have been wondering how they have coped with out losing their minds. I have torn my acl twice and this sedentary lifestyle has got me losing it. I usually partake in a number in high adrenaline sports: dh mountainbiking, snowboarding, wakeboarding, paintballing, and football. Pretty much anything that can get me focused and engaged really entertains me, but now that i am unable to do these things it is almost like i have developed some sort of ocd. I get hung up on every little thing and take things that i usually do not care about personally. My whole life has been gauged around some sort of physical activity and now being inactive i have become restless.
i guess i am just wondering if anyone else has gone through the same thing and has any advice on how to cope.

Fuzzy12
06-01-16, 04:36 AM
I'm not a super sporty person and apart from hiking I've never done anything regularly really but when I quit smoking and my meds last year I became super active for a short while to stop myself from going crazy. I went swimming almost every day, exercised at home, kept going for walks everytime the restlessness became too much and played squash regularly. It helped tons.

Then i sprained my ankle while playing squash and had to be on crutches for 4 months. I went absolutely crazy so I guess I can relate a bit to what you are saying. I felt so trapped and frustrated. Finally I started taking meds again because I couldn't cope.

Is there anything else you can do that doesn't involve the injured limb? It might not be high adrenaline but at least something to get that energy out. Or could you take up some non sporting activity that keeps you grounded when you can't do sports?

Pilgrim
06-01-16, 07:45 AM
A great way to stay on task - meditation

A great way to not loose it - Mindfulness

Believe me I know the feeling

Socaljaxs
06-01-16, 10:35 AM
Yup me! Ended up sidelines from all sports for several years. Sadly I lost a huge chunk of myself during that period of time..the day my doctor said I could resume I was back training... I'm currently in a situation where I need to chill out on how much I overdue my own self, it's hard but at this point to keep me active I have to say sorry I can't go as I use too.

bluejay14
06-01-16, 11:07 AM
I'm currently still recovering from a separated shoulder which has stopped me from doing any upper body work/climbing and it's very frustrating. I can also only cope with running short distances because longer runs were causing muscle pain in my shoulder/neck.
I feel your pain. Exercise keeps me sane and I struggle when I lose that outlet.

Can you swim with your ACL injury or use a rowing machine?

krowe91
06-05-16, 12:50 PM
Kind of a late response.
Hey, just as you mentioned Fuzzy, i started smoking again as well, maybe to just shake a little tension, but in reality it is worse than anything we could do.
And yeah I am a able to participate in a couple things like swimming and rowing, but those activities are rather boring to me. However, i do lift on a daily basis or at least when i am not feeling down. I have recently been cleared to go wake skating/surfing and beach volleyball, so i have been enjoying that.
Socal and bluejay, it is rough, sports provide that outlet that many people seek, to not worry about anything, just you and your body working in perfect harmony, it is an incredible feeling.
They should really do some research on adhd and sports injuries though, I know majority of us are pretty active, and the transition of the lifestyle is really hard to adjust.

Socaljaxs
06-05-16, 10:22 PM
My injuries are a combined issues. Yes my ADHD makes it more difficult to pay attention but I also have a few different physical issues as well that are also in play. So the combo kinda makes me a walking disaster quite often actually.\

Plus my fitness activity,of,choice,is, MMA mostly Muay Thai so injuring myself is something that I have to constantly remind myself of my body,position I also took privates and physical therapy to help,and,Tai Chi to also aid in injury prevention