View Full Version : Gilbert's Syndrome & Ritalin

Lokiboy
06-01-16, 09:35 AM
Hi everyone :)
I've been diagnosed with Gilbert syndrome at the age of 15.
I've been diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 20 and I've been perscribed Ritalin.
I usually don't use Ritalin. The reason why I started using it is because I have a very important test in few weeks from now.

My question is, is it dangerous to take Ritalin while having a Gilbert's syndrome?
Because having a Gilbert's syndrome basically means that my liver struggles to dismantle all the toxic sunstances that go thru it.

Would it be dangerous to use Ritalin for a period of 30 days? (10-30 mg at a time - 5 times a week tops)

Thanks! :)

Impromptu_DTour
06-01-16, 03:18 PM
First things first.. the only advice you should take should be from your primary medical practitioner who knows and is familiar with your situation. Anything you get from online, or a board (such as this one), should only be used for asking more questions.. rather than answering them.

That said.. Gilbert's is honestly not uncommon among ADHDrs. Theres talk that many likely dont even know they have it because their symptoms are effectively non existent, in noticeable every day life. I myself have had elevated bilirubin levels most of my life, there's a possibility that I myself have it as well. Ive only had jaundice symptoms once or twice, but i really wasnt taking care of myself (even for an unaffected person).

I dont know to what extent your challenges with Gilbert's is, but just going off of what I have been reading online just now.. if I were you i would just bring it up with my Dr. While the impact seems relatively minimal (keyword relatively), there truly is no cut and dry answer; its really going to come down to your personal situation.

The best chat will be with whoever signs your labwork at your doctor's office.

Best of luck.

iDTour

Lokiboy
06-04-16, 03:53 AM
Thank you :)