View Full Version : America's workforce runs on narcotic stimulants

caughtinabadone
06-01-16, 04:19 PM
http://daily.jstor.org/americas-workforce-narcotic-stimulants/

America’s workforce runs on amphetamines.

More specifically, it runs on Adderall (dextroamphetamine), Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine), Focalin (dexmethylphenidate), and Concerta (methylphenidate), all commonly used to treat attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Over the past five years, reports of a growing amphetamine epidemic in the United States have surfaced in unlikely places: From gym rats to Hollywood actresses to fearful college kids and stressed writers, there’s been no lack of exposés and personal interviews on the country’s prescription amphetamine and methamphetamine users.

Thoughts?

Little Missy
06-01-16, 04:25 PM
Sensationalistic and hardly journalism.

stef
06-01-16, 05:10 PM
yes pls remove?

aeon
06-01-16, 06:57 PM
More fearmongering and sensationalism.

Cyllya
06-01-16, 11:38 PM
It makes it sound like this is a huge problem, but the only attempt it makes at actually giving a number of people abusing stimulants is:

In 2013, the National Survey of Drug Use and Health, around 10 percent of adult Americans admit to using prescription stimulants at some point in their lives.

And that sounds like a pretty reasonable number, considering "using prescription stimulants at some point in their lives" includes people who are currently using it because they have ADHD, people who used it as a child because they have ADHD, people who used it temporarily because their doctor thought they had ADHD, any of those situations for other conditions (e.g. narcolepsy), and people abusing or previously abusing stimulants for reasons other than workforce performance.

It's like the author knew their own premise was false but they are trying to deceive people who have bad reading comprehension.

It says "ADHD wasn't even considered a diagnosis for the adult population until after 2006" which suggests he doesn't think we really have ADHD and don't deserve to have access to ADHD meds.

And then it hardly even hints at what I think would be the problems with widespread work-related use of therapeutic amounts of Adderall by non-disordered people. I guess because that problem doesn't currently exist.

sarahsweets
06-02-16, 04:39 AM
They should come here to NJ and see the effects of the heroin epidemic and pain killer addictions and how those substances are wrecking lives. They need to help me understand why 10% of adults using stimulants is more noteworthy than the nation's and particularly NJ's, overdose deaths tripling in the last 1 or 2 years. I got narcan certified(injection) because of my dealings with people with addiction through AA, and have personally known three people who have overdosed in the last year.
F**k that 'news' article.

caughtinabadone
06-02-16, 11:16 AM
yes pls remove?

Well you can pretend it didn't exist, but it remains written on the reputable JSTOR website.

How might we collectively stop these sensational articles to protect our meds for those who need them? :confused:

Little Missy
06-02-16, 12:22 PM
Well you can pretend it didn't exist, but it remains written on the reputable JSTOR website.

How might we collectively stop these sensational articles to protect our meds for those who need them? :confused:

Write your congressman. :)

mrh235
06-02-16, 10:51 PM
This is sensationalist faux journalism like "adderall abuse is college is higher and everybody takes it" when it reality rates of stimulant abuse have been uniform for years.

C15H25N3O
01-12-17, 08:42 PM
http://daily.jstor.org/americas-workforce-narcotic-stimulants/

Thoughts?

Fake news? :giggle:

http://daily.jstor.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Addies.jpg

Is this Adderall? The colorizing looks like ecstasy pills to me.

Fraser_0762
01-12-17, 08:47 PM
Stimulant abuse is a wide spread problem. Not really sure why people are shooting it down. The added pressures that are being placed on people in the modern world to perform beyond normal human boundaries is causing them to turn to performance enhancing drugs. It is a growing issue. Perhaps not an epidemic, but it's certainly moving in that direction.

C15H25N3O
01-12-17, 08:53 PM
Stimulant abuse is a wide spread problem. Not really sure why people are shooting it down. The added pressures that are being placed on people in the modern world to perform beyond normal human boundaries is causing them to turn to performance enhancing drugs. It is a growing issue. Perhaps not an epidemic, but it's certainly moving in that direction.

Great comment. I believe people with an ADHD diagnosis also like people who "abuse"
the pills are forced by technical evolution to use this substances to survive in a world
nearly every job can be replaced by a machine. Why does Amazon announce to make 100.000 jobs while they
try to use drones to ship parcels. The postman will be fired! Welcome to era of fake!

Fraser_0762
01-12-17, 09:10 PM
Great comment. I believe people with an ADHD diagnosis also like people who "abuse"
the pills are forced by technical evolution to use this substances to survive in a world
nearly every job can be replaced by a machine. Why does Amazon announce to make 100.000 jobs while they
try to use drones to ship parcels. The postman will be fired! Welcome to era of fake!

I used to work for Amazon (for like 2 weeks). I was a packer and was packing around 250 parcels an hour. Which was the fastest out of any person in the warehouse (the largest in Europe!) But despite this, the higher ups were still coming up to me and telling me to go faster. I was already going far beyond a pace that would be considered safe for a human to perform at.... needless to say, after 2 weeks, I was rushed to A&E after collapsing in the warehouse and was order by my GP never to go back there again.

I think you're right though. Soon machines will more or less replace all of us, because there's just no way we can keep up..... the up side however is that they will need people to create these machines and design the sophisticated hardware and software to perform the functions.

Which is why I now find myself on a Software Development course. :lol:

C15H25N3O
01-12-17, 09:20 PM
Stimulant abuse is a wide spread problem.

Do you really think the abuse is the worst problem?
This is not against big pharma but I think the medical
use of stimulants is a huger problem in many cases.

Be honest. How many of us are still in a brain-cage
and dont function like neuro-typicals while we tell
our docs we need the stimulants because they make
us function. Do stimulants make ADHD brains function
to start a career? I believe they do in very rare cases.

Use and abuse belong to each other and are the same.

Use and abuse are not defined by status of prescription.

Fraser_0762
01-12-17, 09:25 PM

Well I don't take any stimulant medication at the moment. But when I do finally start taking them, I won't be doing it with the expectation that they will automatically make my life better. What I do expect from them however, is that they will help me to help myself make my life better.

Stimulants don't make ADHDers function, it just gives them the choice to function at a higher capability when they put the effort in. But they still need to put the effort in.

ginniebean
01-12-17, 09:36 PM
I actually think this is a good article. One of the things it does is put amphetamine use in perspective. This is not NEW. People have been using amphetamines well before adult adhd came along.

I don't like that people abuse our medication, it makes it so much harder on us. However, this isn't blaming adhd as the culprit but rather stress and jobs that require more than people should be expected to do.

I wish he'd made that point a bit more clear.

C15H25N3O
01-13-17, 12:39 AM
Honestly I think this article is very good investigated and brilliant.

I believe there will be sooner or later a re-regulation of upper prescriptions.

C15H25N3O
01-13-17, 01:15 AM
When MDMA – also an amphetamine – had its impact to the discos
and clubs in the 80ies under the name ecstasy and I saw the guys
dancing over 24h from dusk till dawn and until next midnight.

I realized it as a drug to make the masses working.

I think it depends on the readers perception. I understand the article
more as a critic on working like a slave needing uppers than as a critic
on ADHD.

dvdnvwls
01-13-17, 04:36 AM

How would you like use and abuse of stimulants to be defined?

What do you make of (for example) the life and work of Paul Erdös, one of the greatest mathematicians of recent times, who took amphetamine regularly?

sarahsweets
01-13-17, 06:46 AM

Can you explain this more? I always looked at abuse as either:someone taking medication not as prescribed as in more of it or more frequently or someone who obtains and takes something illegally.

Fraser_0762
01-13-17, 06:52 AM

What do you make of (for example) the life and work of Paul Erdös, one of the greatest mathematicians of recent times, who took amphetamine regularly?

Amphetamine will help anybody do just about anything better. It's a question of whether they really need them to function normally or not.

People who can function perfectly fine without taking them, who take them anyway just so they can get ahead of the pack are abusing them.

C15H25N3O
01-13-17, 08:45 AM

There is no definition. Modern psychiatry accepted any kind of substance
intake as self-medication (not abuse) and the word abuse is only (ab-)used
to blame others.

I just read his story on wikipedia. It looks like he (ab-)used amphetamines
to use them for self-optimization to play his role in mathematical evolution.
I have no right to judge him but I judge mathematics to be abused against
humans to replace work force. Every medal has two sides and it depends
how you look at them.

Can you explain this more? I always looked at abuse as either:someone taking medication not as prescribed as in more of it or more frequently or someone who obtains and takes something illegally.

I think it is (drug-)political how the common sense separates between use
and abuse. If someone with ADHD calls someone without prescription an
abuser it is a kind of protest used for securing terretory in war on drugs.

According to the article in the 1880ies the dockworker were abused to labor
70 hours at a time and they were forced to use cocaine or they were fired.

I think this article is brilliant if readers dont abuse it to manifest their opinions
but if they start thinking about abuse of work force and forcing people into substances.

Do you see the drug-political parallels of stimulant medication in work force to
any kind of doping in sports? Doping is classified illegal but it enables people
to win medals. Finally it is the it is about if it is drug-political correct to use the
advantage of a substance or if it is (ab-)used to make russia great again.

... but **** my last paragraph as I (ab-)use it to blame russia. Huming being
is the same worldwide. It is human nature to have a desire to be outstanding
and there is a competition about rewards.

Using any kind of substances and still not functioning is my personal red line
between use and abuse. I think everyone should define it on his own. Anything
else is nothing but propaganda.

C15H25N3O
01-13-17, 09:04 AM
Amphetamine will help anybody do just about anything better. It's a question of whether they really need them to function normally or not.

People who can function perfectly fine without taking them, who take them anyway just so they can get ahead of the pack are abusing them.

From this point of view Mr. Paul Erdös abused amphetamine. No one needs to
be a brilliant mathematican to care for his wife and children. He could also do
a job as a farmer and there would have been another guy doing his job.

Mind we dont dont have a right to judge people by intelligence or their jobs
but if they are spreading peace, love and unity.

Amphetamines still are uppers, smart drugs and neuro-enhancers awaking us
and rewarding us in advance. They dont convert idiots into genius but improve
life if someone suffers sleepiness and a lack of rewards.

Who defines what is functioning normally? Is it your boss who is abusing your
work force to make profits and rewards but does not share them equally to you?

ADHD and Autism made me feel different to others all my life. Honestly I did not
find the substance or combination of subtances that make me feel neuro-typical
but Vyvanse make me happier and Sativex makes me functioning.

Labels are for jars not for people.

dvdnvwls
01-13-17, 12:13 PM
I expect that you will tell me I just abused my cell phone in an effort to get ahead. I got up when the alarm rang, instead of sleeping longer and being late for my appointment.

For that matter, huge numbers of people around the world are "abusing" penicillin; by your logic, they should just die instead of subverting nature in that way.

G252013
01-13-17, 01:03 PM
surprised to see focalin mentioned as it usually goes forgotten :lol:

C15H25N3O
01-13-17, 06:23 PM
I expect that you will tell me I just abused my cell phone in an effort to get ahead. I got up when the alarm rang, instead of sleeping longer and being late for my appointment.

For that matter, huge numbers of people around the world are "abusing" penicillin; by your logic, they should just die instead of subverting nature in that way.

:scratch:

free your mind.