View Full Version : Very dry facial skin - need advice!

BellaVita
06-01-16, 11:37 PM
Hello fellow ladies,
My skin on my face has been having dryness issues this past year or so, but this month has been...awful.

I think it could be due to possible undiagnosed hypothyroidism since it runs in my family (along with the dry facial skin symptom).

Either way, can't get the underlying cause fixed at the moment.

Does anyone have advice on how to help it?

I drink plenty of water. I wash my face with a very gentle face wash. I don't over-wash. I put on a moisturizer after I wash. In fact all of my skin products (except the toner) are special because I'm so sensitive to most things and react badly to them so I have to get super gentle stuff online. I also a couple times a week use an alcohol-free toner.

Are there any other inexpensive non-harsh products that could help? I'm seriously desperate. My skin on my face feels horrible. It's hardly visually noticeable (helps that I don't wear any face powder) but I can FEEL it and it's so not smooth and just so dry. I'm feeling embarrassed.

I don't want this issue to stick around for my wedding.

Socaljaxs
06-02-16, 12:02 AM
Have you tried vitamin e or jojoba or rose oil? Or even argon oil? I have ridiculously dry skin I use vitamin c 3 different kinds of oils and khiels very dry me Hurons the day I use spray of rose water oil to keep me from over drying.

Unmanagable
06-02-16, 12:04 AM
I stopped using all store bought skin products from head to toe and my skin conditions improved greatly.

I used to buy the sensitive skin formulas for everything, too, and also suffered from a lot of dry skin, not just the face area.

Coconut oil is my main moisturizer now, along with magnesium gel and the occasional addition of my favorite essential oils. I also add shea butter in the winter when the dryness gets worse.

I also do dry skin brushing before each shower, using a smaller and even softer brush for the face area. That helps keep the lymph flow moving, which is rather significant in our overall health.

Fluctuating water temps in the shower to warm then cool vs. strictly hot water, which used to be my only preference, helps several things, too.

If I feel I need to add an astringent cleaner, I use apple cider vinegar. The smell leaves as soon as it dries.

My skin feels and looks healthier than I recall it ever being from regularly performing a combination of all the above, along with my food/beverage intake.

Once again, I learned that what I manage to eliminate is the most important thing. lol

Wishing I could get a return on all the money I spent on products and promises through the years.

Wishing you much relief in dealing with yours.

Socaljaxs
06-02-16, 12:06 AM
Also if you can muster the strength Sephora and ulta will give you samples of products to try for free before you purchase if you ask. You get 3 per area. Makeup is 1 area hair is second face skin is 3

Also Pinterest offers a bunch of diy ideas for hydrating facials and how to reduce visable and painful dryness

stef
06-02-16, 12:06 AM
oil of olay serum, fragrence free i think its $20 tho.
use before the moisturizer
maybe the toner is too harsh right now
its in target and wallgreens
its as good as this €70 stuff i was once sold here....

stef
06-02-16, 12:46 AM
Its called regenerating serum to be exact

psychopathetic
06-02-16, 01:54 AM
/puts on his dress and wig

I absolutely swear by Gold Bond Ultimate Healing lotion. I'd check for it at walmart or target or something before buying it from amazon though. It should be cheaper.

I started using it when I went through my cancer ordeal. My skin became dry and it was super embarrassing because my hands and arms would get so dry, that they'd be covered with bright white, dry skin.
I hated it :(.
So I did some research and decided to give gold bond a try.
Holy cow! lol...it was amazing!

I still use it once in awhile. I always like to have a bottle of it handy.

Also...I continue to relate SO much with you, cause I have hypothyroidism myself. I wouldn't be surprised a bit if you did too!

(((((((Bells)))))))

BellaVita
06-08-16, 03:02 AM
Thank you very much everyone! :) appreciate your help!

peripatetic
06-08-16, 04:20 AM
i use l'occitane, kiehl's, and aquaphor products. my skin's not super dry, but it's on the normal/dry side and our climate tends to be foggy in morning and night, but super dry during the day.

BellaVita
06-08-16, 05:55 AM
Thanks peri! :)

Corina86
06-08-16, 04:55 PM
If budget is an issue, I suggest you try oils, like olive oil or coconut oil, or butters, like shea butter. Argan oil is a little dryer and jojoba is very dry, so I wouldn't recommend them. If your skin is sensitive, you should avoid anything with a perfume, even essential oils. Also, no more face-wash or soap or tonic lotion. If you don't have much sebuum, water is more than enough to keep your face clean. It's good you don't use any powder. It would be best to try and give up concealer as well. If you don't have zits or scars, it doesn't really help much anyway. And always use sunscreen when going outside :)

Little Nut
06-08-16, 09:33 PM
Bells, It has been around for a year and it is critical to address quickly (your assessment not mine). I would suggest a dermatologist. I went in to see a dermatologist for a particular issue, after addressing that issue he asked if I thought I had oily skin while looking at my face. He came back witha cupla freebies, one for the reason I went in and another for the previously undiagnosed skin condition that I didn't even ask him about. This had gotten by me and my PCP for a cupla years and the dermatologist nailed it simply in passing. My point is if you had more time you could do the Sherlock Holmes thing, but since you don't, find a good dermatologist. Regards, -LN

BellaVita
06-08-16, 10:50 PM
If budget is an issue, I suggest you try oils, like olive oil or coconut oil, or butters, like shea butter. Argan oil is a little dryer and jojoba is very dry, so I wouldn't recommend them. If your skin is sensitive, you should avoid anything with a perfume, even essential oils. Also, no more face-wash or soap or tonic lotion. If you don't have much sebuum, water is more than enough to keep your face clean. It's good you don't use any powder. It would be best to try and give up concealer as well. If you don't have zits or scars, it doesn't really help much anyway. And always use sunscreen when going outside :)

Thanks!

My facewash is super gentle and free of scents (hypoallergenic) and it actually makes my face feel better after, like it moisturizes a bit or something.

I don't use anything with perfume, I had skin rashes for many years because I'm so sensitive to things so I'm very picky about what I use.

I don't use any skin make-up. :) Maybe like 1-3 times a year.

I've been religious about wearing sunscreen, I am quite fair-skinned and don't want any sun damage.

BellaVita
06-08-16, 10:54 PM
Bells, It has been around for a year and it is critical to address quickly (your assessment not mine). I would suggest a dermatologist. I went in to see a dermatologist for a particular issue, after addressing that issue he asked if I thought I had oily skin while looking at my face. He came back witha cupla freebies, one for the reason I went in and another for the previously undiagnosed skin condition that I didn't even ask him about. This had gotten by me and my PCP for a cupla years and the dermatologist nailed it simply in passing. My point is if you had more time you could do the Sherlock Holmes thing, but since you don't, find a good dermatologist. Regards, -LN

Thank you! Yeah, a dermatologist would probably be the best option.

Unfortunately without insurance I cannot afford one.

Little Nut
06-09-16, 09:51 AM
Sorry to hear that and I hope you nail ur issue. Just a thought, do any of your Doc(s) that you routinely visit have other Docs (IM, FP types) that work in the same office (associates). If the roles were reversed I would ask my Doc first (figure you did already) and if nothing ask if any of his colleagues are around for a quick/free consult (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). Gl and Gratz on the Upcoming Wedding, -LN

Alyssasmimi
06-09-16, 10:43 AM
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but I have same issue. Along my lower face/jawline it feels like I have a 5 o'clock ahadow!! It's actually that rough!! I found my miracle! Rosehip seed oil!!! I got mine on amazon. It's amazing
It goes on oily, but soaks in really quickly and is sort of a dry oil. I have oily hair, etc...putting oil straight on my skin, ever dry face, sort of freaked me out, but it is awesome! Before that I used Revitalift Intensive Over Night Mask. It was listed in one of the mags like Marie Clair as 2nd best anti aging creams. All the others weren $200+. As you know, anti aging equals moisture moisture moisture!

Jenn1202
06-19-16, 06:46 AM
I have hashimoto's (frequent hypothyroidism) and my skin is very dry..
I moisturize every 2-6 hours during the day and right before I go to bed. I use fragrance free & alcohol free sunscreen+ moisturizer during the day and olive oil at night. It's kind of a pain to remember to moisturize all the time but it seems to help... I wouldn't recommend using oil during the day because it could make your skin burn. I use fragrance free & alcohol free moisturizers because fragrance and alcohol tend to dry out the skin.

btw, hypothyroidism can make your skin very sensitive. When I'm hypo my skin reacts to everything..

BellaVita
06-21-16, 05:43 AM
Oh my goodness the dry skin has spread to my chest too and I have no idea why. :eek:

Ughh need to try some of these asap!!!

BellaVita
06-21-16, 05:50 AM
I have hashimoto's (frequent hypothyroidism) and my skin is very dry..
I moisturize every 2-6 hours during the day and right before I go to bed. I use fragrance free & alcohol free sunscreen+ moisturizer during the day and olive oil at night. It's kind of a pain to remember to moisturize all the time but it seems to help... I wouldn't recommend using oil during the day because it could make your skin burn. I use fragrance free & alcohol free moisturizers because fragrance and alcohol tend to dry out the skin.

btw, hypothyroidism can make your skin very sensitive. When I'm hypo my skin reacts to everything..

I kinda have started doing that - the frequent moisturizing. It's like my skin is requiring it or something. I think it is helping a bit.

Little Missy
06-21-16, 06:47 AM
Oh my goodness the dry skin has spread to my chest too and I have no idea why. :eek:

Ughh need to try some of these asap!!!

It could be the harsh chemicals in the pool if you are still swimming.

Alyssasmimi
07-20-16, 10:42 AM
Hello fellow ladies,
My skin on my face has been having dryness issues this past year or so, but this month has been...awful.

I think it could be due to possible undiagnosed hypothyroidism since it runs in my family (along with the dry facial skin symptom).

Either way, can't get the underlying cause fixed at the moment.

Does anyone have advice on how to help it?

I drink plenty of water. I wash my face with a very gentle face wash. I don't over-wash. I put on a moisturizer after I wash. In fact all of my skin products (except the toner) are special because I'm so sensitive to most things and react badly to them so I have to get super gentle stuff online. I also a couple times a week use an alcohol-free toner.

Are there any other inexpensive non-harsh products that could help? I'm seriously desperate. My skin on my face feels horrible. It's hardly visually noticeable (helps that I don't wear any face powder) but I can FEEL it and it's so not smooth and just so dry. I'm feeling embarrassed.

I don't want this issue to stick around for my wedding.
My facial skin was so dry that it felt like I had a 5 o'clock shadow! I'm 53, have lost a ton of weight and have no fat under my skin like younger girls....I found a cheap and WONDERFUL solution!! Rosehip Seed Oil! ! It's about $15 for a huge 4 oz bottle and I used it nightly for 2 weeks and my skin felt like my 26 year old daughter's!!!! It didn't look like it, but felt like it and did look so much better and more supple!! It's amazing! !!!