View Full Version : Intuniv & Prozac, considering adding Strattera

2knowmore
06-02-16, 01:10 PM
Hello,

This is my first post. Sorry for the length. My 10 year old son has tried stimulants with very adverse side-effects. He now takes Intuniv 3mg and Prozac 30mg but it doesn't seem to be touching his impulsivity and attention. He has ADHD, APD, Depression, Facial tic and Anxiety. The Prozac helped with anxiety but not his impulsivity (not giving people personal space, saying inappropriate things at the wrong times, always wanting to get a laugh even if people are laughing at him not with him) and lack of focus (not paying attention in class, forgetting to turn in assignments, not following directions) are becoming a huge problem. He will be getting suspended from school if he cannot learn to manage his behaviors or think before speaking/acting. I am considering adding Strattera. He tried it once before and it made him depressed, but now that he is taking Prozac, maybe it will work better? I am desperate to find something to help with his ADD as the ramifications are becoming more serious every day. We do work with a ped. psychiatrist and use behavior management under a psychologist and it just seems like we try things until a crisis happens and then try something else. His Dad doesn't like the Intuniv because of its effect on his blood pressure so considering eliminating that. I've heard not to give Prozac with Strattera and Intuniv, but my daughter takes Prozac with Strattera and it works for her. What about Intuniv, Strattera and Prozac? Intuniv, Strattera and Lexapro?

peripatetic
06-09-16, 12:41 AM
welcome to the forums.

i'm not well versed in antidepressants, but you might look in the treatments sections and find something useful even if applied to adults. here's a link: http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18

sarahsweets
06-09-16, 02:56 AM
Hello,

This is my first post. Sorry for the length. My 10 year old son has tried stimulants with very adverse side-effects. He now takes Intuniv 3mg and Prozac 30mg but it doesn't seem to be touching his impulsivity and attention. He has ADHD, APD, Depression, Facial tic and Anxiety. The Prozac helped with anxiety but not his impulsivity (not giving people personal space, saying inappropriate things at the wrong times, always wanting to get a laugh even if people are laughing at him not with him) and lack of focus (not paying attention in class, forgetting to turn in assignments, not following directions) are becoming a huge problem. He will be getting suspended from school if he cannot learn to manage his behaviors or think before speaking/acting.
And what accomodations does he have at school? What is the school doing for him to work with him and not against him? Schools are very quick to kick a kid to the curb for being "difficult". Does he have an IEP or 504?

I am considering adding Strattera. He tried it once before and it made him depressed, but now that he is taking Prozac, maybe it will work better?
I am not a doctor and this is just my opinion: I would avoid strattera if he is on prozac. Even though strattera is used for adhd, in its earliest stages it was developed as a treatment for depression- it acts like ( and may be classified like)an antidepressant. It was sort of by accident that they realized it worked for adhd and now is being marketed as an adhd treatment. So taking both IMO would not be the best combo.

I am desperate to find something to help with his ADD as the ramifications are becoming more serious every day. We do work with a ped. psychiatrist and use behavior management under a psychologist and it just seems like we try things until a crisis happens and then try something else.
well maybe you need to get a second opinion or switch things up because so far, what you are doing isnt working.

His Dad doesn't like the Intuniv because of its effect on his blood pressure so considering eliminating that.
Is his blood pressure and issue or is dad worried about it in general?

I've heard not to give Prozac with Strattera and Intuniv, but my daughter takes Prozac with Strattera and it works for her. What about Intuniv, Strattera and Prozac? Intuniv, Strattera and Lexapro?

I get the desperation in your post and empathize. But it seems like you are wanting a magic pill. Read the sticky I wrote in children's diagnosis. Medication is amazing when it works, but it never solves everything. Its a tool not a cure.