View Full Version : Sleep problems w/ dexamphetamine

fw1721
06-02-16, 02:54 PM
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ask some advice. So I got diagnosed with inattentive ADHD about 5 years ago, but never really had the money to get treatment. And about 6 months ago I was able to see a neuropsychologist to get more testing done , and got diagnosed again. My psychiatrist has put me on 2 x 5mg dex tablets a day - one in the morning and one around lunchtime. I find that they do help me concentrate, I feel less anxious, I have more energy, and I can do tasks I wouldn't have done otherwise like watch lectures or study, etc. But I'm having real difficulties sleeping. It's been about a week, and generally my sleeping pattern is that I'll sleep between 3-4 hours at night but then wake up around 3-4am. Then be awake for a few hours, wait til 6-7am and take my first dose. Oddly enough, I can really easily fall asleep and nap for about 3 hours after I've taken a dose.

I also find later in the day I do crash and feel pretty crummy when the dex wears off, and can feel agitated, moody and scatterbrained.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice ? My ADHD has made it very difficult for me to study, or even worse, my ability to work. I can't hold down a job because I take a very long time to process instructions, can't remember things, and am I guess a bit aloof and slow and employers don't understand where I'm coming from when I try to explain the situation to them. It's really beginning to get me down because I really want to work, and quite frankly I really need to work because it's getting harder to pay the rent and food!

emperorpenguin
07-03-16, 06:11 PM
I've been a lifelong insomniac myself so I can relate. It's probably not so much that you're "crashing" from the dex, especially at such a low dose, rather you're just sleep-deprived and the dex was helping to mask it. If I'm well-rested, dex gradually tapers off and I'm just back at baseline--no crash.

Here are a few tips that have helped me. There's nothing groundbreaking or original here, but there might be something you haven't seen:

1) Don't take an afternoon dose if you feel like you can do without, based on your mood, energy level, and what you have to get done that day. Choose a "cutoff time" that seems to work for you, and don't take any after that no matter what. For me it's 1PM. If it's 3:00 and I find myself wishing I'd taken a dose at 1, too bad...I'm only going to be worse off tomorrow if I take a pill and am up half the night. That's very individual, though; some people take a dose at dinner time and can be sound asleep 4 hours later (blows my mind). You'll learn to adjust the timing and dosage of your meds from day to day based on how you feel.

2) Try taking 5mg of melatonin an hour before bed. You may or may not respond to it, but it does help many people (including me).

3) Magnesium before bed may help (it's a weak muscle relaxant and for many people also causes drowsiness). It may also help stave off (or at least slow) tolerance to your meds. Even if it does neither, it's still good for you :). Chelated magnesium is best.

4) Practice good 'sleep hygiene' in general. You've probably seen all of this before but maybe haven't been so disciplined about it, I know I struggle sometimes...do your best to avoid any sort of screen time 2 hours before bedtime. If you do use your phone or computer at night, use software to red-shift the screen (it's blue light, and by extension white, that screws with your circadian rhythms and keeps you awake). Don't use alcohol to try and sleep; it may help you get to sleep but it wrecks the quality of your sleep. Make your bedroom as quiet and dark as possible. Try to keep a consistent schedule, even on weekends. Again, nothing new here, but it works if you're disciplined about it.

5) No caffeine whatsoever in the afternoon if you know your sleep is sensitive to it. For me, anything after 11AM can screw with my sleep, so I just don't do it. Some people can drink a latte and go right to bed; YMMV.

Good luck!

sarahsweets
07-06-16, 06:31 AM
4) Practice good 'sleep hygiene' in general. You've probably seen all of this before but maybe haven't been so disciplined about it, I know I struggle sometimes...do your best to avoid any sort of screen time 2 hours before bedtime. If you do use your phone or computer at night, use software to red-shift the screen (it's blue light, and by extension white, that screws with your circadian rhythms and keeps you awake). Don't use alcohol to try and sleep; it may help you get to sleep but it wrecks the quality of your sleep. Make your bedroom as quiet and dark as possible. Try to keep a consistent schedule, even on weekends. Again, nothing new here, but it works if you're disciplined about it.

This is something I try to live by. I joke and call myself the sleep nazi because I had to retrain my body on how to sleep and sleep medication just wasnt in my best interest. I go to bed and wake up in the same window of time every single day. I am a morning person so for me, I wake up between 4-6am and go to bed betweenn 10-12 (mostly 10)pm.
I had a sleep study down which was invaluable, and I learned that some people (me) do not actually need the standard 8 hours of sleep. Its more involved then that but I dont want to junk up the thread.