View Full Version : Vyvanse seems to not be as effective

BBSurf37
06-02-16, 03:35 PM
Hello,

I was recently diagnosed with Adult ADD this past March. I have been on Vyvanse 60 mg ever since. I think it's been 3 months now and I have been having days where it feels like the med isn't kicking in. However, it's random but it is becoming more frequent.
I do use Dextroamphetamine 20mg and Amphetamine salts 20 mg for the afternoon. The Dextro does kinda work but I have some side effects with it (excessive sweating, dizziness sometimes).
The amphetamine salts seem to work fine so far. As for the vyvanse. Should I discontinue using for a couple of days and then restart? I've not been taking this med for very long. So it's kinda why I'm asking.

Little Missy
06-02-16, 04:39 PM
I have never been prescribed Vyvanse but I have never read any real good about it.

C15H25N3O
06-02-16, 09:14 PM
I like it a lot to have a break for some days and getting back on it. It is working better then most times.
Maybe its not about any tolerance but about relaxing and sleeping without any bit of LDX in my body.
I have no evidence for it. Its just a theory. If I take the capsule in the evening and sleep i feel like there
is no REM-phase over night.

I also boosted Vyvanse with Dex but I did not like it although i like the clearly defined start/stop of Dex
remembering me to MPH. I definately prefer Vyvanse to Dex due to its subtle end smooth effect and absolutely
not kicking in.

I can increase LDXs effectivness without eating any or nearly no food the first 10 hours after taking the capsule.

Give it a try and have a short break.

QuasarMind
06-05-16, 06:17 PM
BBS,

It might be your food intake. No scientific data, but I swear 80% of the complaints about Vyvanse effectiveness are from people who eat breakfast or any food within 3 hours after taking Vyvanse. I have done MUCH MUCH MUCH experimenting with myself and have gotten very consistent results. I have found an average sized meal to kill the effect of Vyvanse by about 60% and make it wear off sooner. I first claimed waiting 3 hours post Vyvanse dose was needed for full effect but lately I have been waiting 3:30 hours and seem to be getting better results than only 3 hours but the difference isn't as dramatic. I found even waiting "only" 2 hours to eat will typically kill the overall effectiveness, including duration, by about 40% from waiting the full 3+ hours. I set my first alarm 2 hours before I get up to take my Vyvanse 70mg and then wait at least an hour after getting up before I eat anything at all. I found it best to drink 6-8oz water when taking my Vyvanse, less water will produce inconsistent results and too much water will dilute the Vyvanse for a decrease effect for the rest of the day. Sadly, I even found milk and cereal (whole milk + strawberry Wheaties) to cut into the overall daily effect nearly as much as a solid meal. I am overweight so I try to limit my food to one meal a day anyway but I found having a meal at bedtime has no effect on Vyvanse the next day so I suppose if you are concerned with eating too little you could shift your breakfast meal to bedtime???

C15H25N3O
06-05-16, 11:30 PM
While not eating the first hours or over the effectiveness of Vyvanse
I dont have any need for food and no need for water. It does not make
me a dry mouth. But I drink coffee. I drink most of the water (1/2 gallon )
including high quality magnesium in the evening when I eat.

This way I have the best effectiveness.

sarahsweets
06-06-16, 04:11 AM
Like others have said it could be your food intake. Some people say not eating helps vyvanse and some say it does help to eat. When my daughter was on it for a school year, it was essential that she ate. I know that vyvanse does its magic differently then adderall. It sort of works when it hits the gut. So in that case eating could help.
I personally havent had success with vyvanse. For me, eating or not eating didnt do anything and it took so long to get going either way. Once it did get going it seemed to just stop after about 6-8 hours. I have been on dex and adderall. I am currently on adderall again and I have had great success with these drugs.

C15H25N3O
06-06-16, 09:40 AM
In the beginnign of my Vyvanse medication I had the crazy experience it stopped after 6-8 hours but came back twice as strong after 10 hours.
My physician is not so experienced with amphetamines as with Ritalin so I had to give it a try on my own having no fear to the substance.
I tried increasing from 30mg to 40mg which was a little speedy and 45mg made me confused for the first 3-5 hours but were perfect after that.
Knowing the curve diagramm of the plasma levels maybe published by shire I split 40 mg into 30/10mg taking the 10mg after 3-4 hours which
had a perfect effect but lasted over 16 hours and made me a lack of sleep. After I got used to the med and if the decreasing level of the LisDex
blood plasma saturation is not disturbed by food absorbtion or intestinal activity too much I am fine.

Vyvanse dosage adjustment was a very complex if not complicated 24/7 job for myself over 1-2 months but the hard working on it had its worth.
Hopefully this is different to others. :-)

Pure dexamphetamine is also for me much easier to handle due to its kick in and crash as I really feel whats happening but I love having nearly
no side effects and the subtle and smooth effectiveness of Vyvanse more than the strong Dexamphetamine. Sure, I would switch my prescription
to Dex or D/L-AMP if I had any problems in dosage or effectiveness with Vyvanse because I would not want to work on it so hard again being the
center of my life for a period of 1-2 months again but I succeeded!

I hope it is visible it is no advice but an invitation to self reflection.

Personal interest: I am interested what happens if I take the double dose by failure if I forgot I already took my dose. Any ideas?

I really love this forums due to the fact it is so different to my native language forums where the guys are to dogmatic and labelling each other
looking too much on facts and statistics and it is mostly about Strattera and Ritalin and amphetamines are seen with too many attitudes nearly
kind of evil and it feels more honest what I read here.

pedalpounder
06-06-16, 03:26 PM
+1 on magnesium! I've been taking a magnesium supplement for 4 days now and wow do I feel so much better now. (9 years on Adderall XR 20mg) I seriously think I was depleted. Night and day difference.

cwf1986
06-06-16, 04:05 PM
Something to keep in mind is that even if you're not 'feeling' the drug, it may still very well be working. I frequently get the sensation of not "feeling" my vyvanse working. Sometimes I'll even wonder if I remembered taking it.

But if I start driving a car, doing household work, even playing a computer game, or anything requiring focus I very quickly realize that the vyvanse is working and keeping me alert, calm, and focused.

This is not at all too uncommon with Dexedrine and I bet even more so with vyvanse since it comes on and wears off so slowly.

Now Adderall, that's something I really felt and I wanted to try the vyvanse so I could get relief from my symptoms without feeling like I'm on something. I've been very happy since.

I'm not trying to tell you this is what's happening to you, but since it hasn't been mentioned, I thought it was something to take into consideration.

C15H25N3O
06-06-16, 05:35 PM
Something to keep in mind is that even if you're not 'feeling' the drug, it may still very well be working. I frequently get the sensation of not "feeling" my vyvanse working. Sometimes I'll even wonder if I remembered taking it.
But if I start driving a car, doing household work, even playing a computer game, or anything requiring focus I very quickly realize that the vyvanse is working and keeping me alert, calm, and focused.

Exactly the same here.

Usually I feel Vyvanse if the dose is to high/low.

Today after a break of 7 days and 10 hours of effectiveness I felt a little bit out of energy and have eaten a small
italian focaccia (similar like pizza but leaner) containing mostly fats and carbs and I really feel Vyvanse quite strong.

35mg work for nearly 12 hours now. Tomorrow I will try 40mg and try to reflect if I take 35 or 40mg the next days.
Yes, still doing experiments after 7 months on Vyvanse but feeling good and happy.

All the day without breakfast and food only drinking 4 espresso and a quarter gallon of water with magnesium
it was smooth and subtle. I had a very productive day.

I am speedy/impulsive now and think about going out for running but try to change my mood first eating
pure meat (italian prosciutto) and I think I can predict its becoming smooth and subtle again.

Wanna bet?

Mindescape
06-06-16, 06:09 PM

This is not at all too uncommon with Dexedrine and I bet even more so with vyvanse since it comes on and wears off so slowly.

Now Adderall, that's something I really felt and I wanted to try the vyvanse so I could get relief from my symptoms without feeling like I'm on something. I've been very happy since.

I'm not trying to tell you this is what's happening to you, but since it hasn't been mentioned, I thought it was something to take into consideration.

I've noticed the same thing while on Vyvanse, anything that requires my attention (computer games) I feel it kick-in again even if I exhausted myself all day.

BBSurf37
06-09-16, 05:03 PM
Ok wow!! I got some good responses. Ok for everyone here.... So since Vyvanse is a metabolizing drug I did change up the diet. I do have a few restrictions due to needing food for my physical training program for the Fire Dept. and my swim program. I have noticed just recently that in the morning, whether I eat or not, the drug has been working again but still inconsistently. I have limited food intake throughout the day but that affects my training performance which has limited my overall program so I had to compromise and eat more. My concentration, focus, and alertness has not been up to what it used to be when I first took Vyvanse. Still feeling sluggish but mostly feeling "foggy". Kinda weird. This morning I forgot to take it and I have been using my dextroamphetamine 20mg throughout the day. So far it's helping quite a bit. Does anyone know how long Dextro lasts? I've heard between 3-4 hours if that is correct. I usually try to take it early so when it's time for training it's not in my system. However I'm still taking all of your suggestions (this includes everyone here) and I'm going to make more adjustments and let you all know how it goes.

aeon
06-09-16, 05:11 PM
I trialed Vyvanse and I think it is a wonderful medication save for the fact it is a weak formulation of dextroamphetamine.

There is no way I could afford 180mg of Vyvanse per day, nor would my doctor prescribe that.

I need something stronger for my ADHD, hence, Dexedrine.

Cheers,
Ian

BBSurf37
06-09-16, 05:19 PM
LOL yeah 180mg would be a little drastic for me. It is expensive for sure. I am on a low payment plan with it for a year. I'm going to continue adjusting to see what works the best for me at this point and let you know what I find out.

C15H25N3O
06-09-16, 07:35 PM
I guess on 180mg I would move like a spider on my ceiling but to be honest
I am only adjusted to a dosage to have no or manageable side effect.
I don not know and experience if there was a change on symptoms multiplying
my 35-40mg or if a next level window without side effects exist???

I tried some food on Vyvanse the last two days because being out of food all day
and eating in the darkness was questioned.

On one days I had some sweeties, vegetables, carbs, meat and salad and on the
other day I had bread, cheese, vegetable and oils. Coffee intake no change.

On both days I crashed and experienced sleepiness maybe 1 our after eating,
snoozed for 1-2 hours in my hammock and got up again.

Compared to my dosage of 30mg I started it was like being under dosed not after eating
but after the first parts of food left the stomach and entered the intestinal tract.

As a spectator of this natural phenomenon I feel kind of being punished by the medication
for eating while mostly sitting busy all day.

I remember other days I was moving active and eating maybe some pasta I it did not affect
my effectiveness.

Vyvanse is there or working after 1 hour and after 3-4 hours I can feel it on its peak.
Then it becomes subtle again and anytime I realize it is over being still not tired
but my symptoms returned.

So I conclude its mechanism works like a strict bootcamp drug against eating for pleasure
and if there is no need.

BBSurf37
06-10-16, 11:54 AM
You're very last sentence summed it up for me LOL. Exactly, no fun eating anymore all business now. I have adjusted most of my Vitamin C intake to the evening when everything is pretty much done. I do have a desk job which I think has an effect on me while on the medication. I can stay focused but I need to move.

BBSurf37
06-10-16, 11:56 AM
Ok so today, 06/10 I had no breakfast as of now. Energy and focus is up and alert. I'm hungry but very very very little. BTW I might be posting like this throughout the day. Just a heads up : )

C15H25N3O
06-10-16, 04:55 PM
And another reflective conclusion because it works for me on days I am mostly sitting:

After a day of good effectiveness without food forcing unabated side effects I enjoy healthy and natural food
filling my stomach for the next day quite late about 1-2 hours before bed time which lets me get rid off another
time of unabated side effects like insomnia/racing thoughts and I can jump into sleep.

So why take any sleeping pills if vegetables, fruits and meat help sleeping?

Vitamin C only has a very minor or nearly no effect on the effectiveness of Vyvanse for me.

Today I have been eating some bread after 8 hours. Coffee as usual. I experienced sleepiness after 9 hours
and reduced effectiveness. Without food I recognized my stomach minor trys of beefing for food by habit
but I am the boss, I have control and Vyvanse works full on for 13 hours like it is promoted.

C15H25N3O
06-10-16, 05:27 PM
BBsurf,

do/did you need or intake any boosters keeping your hands off food
and how does your effectiveness react on food intake?

I hope we are no rare phenomenons and wish some others would
participate sharing their experiences.

BBSurf37
06-14-16, 02:16 PM
Hello. So if anybody returned to this thread, I have an update. Yesterday 06/13/16 I took Vyvanse at the same time in the morning as today. I ate the exact same breakfast at the exact same time. Results: Polar opposites. I was full of energy and very alert. Today I am sluggish. However I am still focused. So yeah. Still playing with the meds to see optimal results. No exercise both days. I leave for vacation tomorrow so I'm busy packing and getting ready.

cwf1986
06-25-16, 10:22 PM
Hmm... I've experienced something very different with Adderall and Vyvanse. I don't really feel it fully kick in until I eat something. And sometimes in the evening, I think it's worn off, then I eat something and I feel it again. I just figured that I had run out of the building blocks for whatever the Vyvanse needs to work properly or something like that.