View Full Version : Vyvanse a year later.

Mindescape
06-02-16, 04:09 PM
Hello everyone, I was diagnosed with ADHD/Tourette syndrome early in life and while my Tourette's are mostly managed well (non-existent) on medication my ADHD is a different story. Last April I decided to give Vyvanse a try but my doctor wanted me to go off Klonopin (1mg twice day) after 28 years. When I first started the 40mg Vyvanse I decided to go off the klonopin slowly as my doctor expressed concern. Immediately I felt very little side effects, minor sweating, dry mouth and barely dizzy that only lasted no more than a week. So from April to October I felt great (sharp focused, energy, calm collective, social, confident) having my natural energy without feeling fatigue whenever I want to do physical activities and even a new found energy with the wife who was shocked how often I was ready to go.

Skip to October when it was finely time to start slowly reducing the Klonopin (decrease .25 morning) and at first I didn't notice anything for 5 weeks, it was then I start losing focus, my thoughts were scrambled and I couldn't form a coherent thought. My doctor increased the Vyvanse from 40mg to 50mg and that definitely brought me back, increasing it to 60mg months later. About half way point where I was taking .5 twice a day I started noticing significantly reduced to non-existent sexual feeling and major ED since I first started withdrawing off Klonopin. My heart is pounding 90+, extreme fatigue, legs muscles stiff, feeling drunk and I'm down to .15 once a day!

My doctor will likely increase the Vyvanse to 70mg next week to see if it brings me out of this fog. Let it be said that before Vyvanse I had no issues until such time I started reducing the klonopin to a certain point and I am wondering if this is the result of the withdrawal off klonopin or the Vyvanse taking priority. I'm assuming after all these years I've built up a tolerance to the klonopin as I have never experienced any form of sexual side effects or ED while on/off it and am wondering if I'm having the opposite reaction that other's get while on it. I must say Vyvanse gave me hypersensitive sexual feelings and performance like never before, Vyvanse is the first medication to offer little to no side effects early on!

Kicking the Klonopin is the hardest thing I'll ever do in life! Is there a suggestion for something I might try that's a good combo with the medications I'm taking in the mean time to reduce my heart rate (pounding) and anxiety without making me sleep all day?

Thank you.

C15H25N3O
06-02-16, 09:01 PM
Great you have so much success with Vyvanse.

I am only for 7-8 months on Vyvanse, so not super experienced but hyper-reflective.
I experienced its a medication I have control of. In the opposite Klonopin has control of you.

For example if I have stress I can work like a berserk on a 90 pulse or I can close my eyes,
no thoughts, just sacking down for some minutes and my pulse goes below 60/min
or reduce my blood pressure from 140/90 to 115/70 or i can switch from angry to happiness.

I think it could be the right way to increase your dose because increasing has blown away my fatigue.

Did you ever try Vyvanse without eating food the first 10h? I think Vyvanse is disturbed by food
due to its intestinal absorbtion and the liver splitting it from the lis-protein.

As I dont know anything about Klonopin what happens to you if you radically stop taking it?

Maybe this is another idea: I have taken some SSRI/cipralex 10 years ago due an failed diagnose for 2 years.
I decreased the dose to get off it and then I took the minimal dose every second day, every third day and so on.
Then I completely stopped it hanging around in bed for 2 weeks , feeling very bad for another month and
after 2 months the nightmare was over.

missclairol
06-02-16, 10:43 PM
Wow, I was /am on klonopin for 10 years too. Thought it would help restless leg &!anxiety. I was just diagnosed 6 months ago, started vyvanse and weaning off klonopin. You are right, coming off Benzos is killer! Gave me Wellbutrin to help and I took my last 1/2 or .25 mg today. Hope it stays ok. Really like Benzos sleeping, but you end up just needing more and more. The vyvanse helps me much more. Good luck

QuasarMind
06-05-16, 06:06 PM
In 2006-2008 I took Adderall 20+10mg Adderall daily w/ 1mg Xanax XR (at 240lbs body weight) on work days at a tech job that had a lot of social interaction (producing anxiety that could be picked up in my voice). I tried Xanax, Ativan and Klonopin and found the Ativan and especially Klonopin to have cognitive side effects both at work and while riding my motorcycle, I found the Xanax to do nothing but help me in every regard including my mental clarity and ADD. In fact I started flying my radio controlled airplanes on Xanax because I felt more in control, something I would never try with Klonopin. I don't know if you would have similar results, but I personally consider Klonopin to cause more problems and have more habit forming potential as I could actually feel it in my system whereas the Xanax worked transparent enough I would never actually "feel it".

Mindescape
06-06-16, 05:26 PM
Great you have so much success with Vyvanse.

I am only for 7-8 months on Vyvanse, so not super experienced but hyper-reflective.
I experienced its a medication I have control of. In the opposite Klonopin has control of you.

For example if I have stress I can work like a berserk on a 90 pulse or I can close my eyes,
no thoughts, just sacking down for some minutes and my pulse goes below 60/min
or reduce my blood pressure from 140/90 to 115/70 or i can switch from angry to happiness.

I think it could be the right way to increase your dose because increasing has blown away my fatigue.

Did you ever try Vyvanse without eating food the first 10h? I think Vyvanse is disturbed by food
due to its intestinal absorbtion and the liver splitting it from the lis-protein.

As I dont know anything about Klonopin what happens to you if you radically stop taking it?

Maybe this is another idea: I have taken some SSRI/cipralex 10 years ago due an failed diagnose for 2 years.
I decreased the dose to get off it and then I took the minimal dose every second day, every third day and so on.
Then I completely stopped it hanging around in bed for 2 weeks , feeling very bad for another month and
after 2 months the nightmare was over.

Actually when I first started taking Vyvanse I noticed I was a little too focused and welcomed a slight tolerance build-up over time, it could also have something to do with withdrawling off Klonopin since it had a calming effect. I have noticed I'm experiencing most of the common (including rare) side effects coming off of it, the only reason I decided to come off is because of an allergic reaction in the form of a upper respiratory (dry) irritation in my lugs that had me producing a single powerful cough every few minutes that started 6 years ago which my doctors have been unsuccessful in treating. I'm still cough just not nearly as much. :)

Many years ago I had a chance to find out what cold turkey felt like when my insurance quit paying for it, for a month and a half I was a zombie staring at the wall all day. I was told that the cold turkey will last many more months than simply tapering off gradually. I tend to be very sensitive to side effects coming off Klonopin, even by .12.5mg. I haven't noticed any difference with whether or not I eat in the morning in regards to Vyvanse, I noticed this morning I've dropped 5 pounds (after eating) I attribute to coming off Klonopin as my appetite has been cut in half. Also when I started taking Vyvanse my heart rate decreased a little which is welcome, my blood pressure has never been effected by medication only my heart rate.

Wow, I was /am on klonopin for 10 years too. Thought it would help restless leg &!anxiety. I was just diagnosed 6 months ago, started vyvanse and weaning off klonopin. You are right, coming off Benzos is killer! Gave me Wellbutrin to help and I took my last 1/2 or .25 mg today. Hope it stays ok. Really like Benzos sleeping, but you end up just needing more and more. The vyvanse helps me much more. Good luck

This Benzo is kicking my collective butt, to bad my doctor can't see me until next Monday! My legs (thighs) are pretty sore and if it was any worse my legs would be very restless, my body feels stiff like as a board unable to relieve tension.

In 2006-2008 I took Adderall 20+10mg Adderall daily w/ 1mg Xanax XR (at 240lbs body weight) on work days at a tech job that had a lot of social interaction (producing anxiety that could be picked up in my voice). I tried Xanax, Ativan and Klonopin and found the Ativan and especially Klonopin to have cognitive side effects both at work and while riding my motorcycle, I found the Xanax to do nothing but help me in every regard including my mental clarity and ADD. In fact I started flying my radio controlled airplanes on Xanax because I felt more in control, something I would never try with Klonopin. I don't know if you would have similar results, but I personally consider Klonopin to cause more problems and have more habit forming potential as I could actually feel it in my system whereas the Xanax worked transparent enough I would never actually "feel it".

It seems I have the opposite reaction (no ED, no cognitive effects) to most on Klonopin, going off of it however is quite a different story. Would it be a safe bet that I might also have an opposite reaction to the side effects of other medications similar to Klonopin such as Wellbutrin? It seems like Klonopin isn't really doing anything for me since I started taking Vyvanse, my Tourette's seems to be a non-issue.

QuasarMind
06-12-16, 01:42 PM
If you are having trouble with your legs at night, have you tried Soma? I have never tried it but I almost asked for a prescription for occasional leg pains when I go to bed. In my online research I found most doctors prescribe 3 per day but it also appears taking this during the day would worded ADD. It is also said to be alarmingly addictive so that is another reason to avoid daytime use.

Have you tried Xanax? I know everyone is different, but I personally seem to be pretty resilient to physical dependence and both myself and my old doctor believed the Adderall/Xanax combo was very healthy. I don't know what the maximum manufacturers daily dose recommendation is for Xanax, but I think it's pretty high but also the likely reason it's only approved for short term. Ask a doctor, but if the maximum mfg dose is 8mg daily for short term and you take 2mg daily long term, I assume you are safe and healthy.

Also, there is a medication called gabapentin, it helps for anxiety for some.

I found Klonopin to be potentially habit forming because for me it was a "Fukitol" whereas my non-executive dose of Xanax simply adjusted a chemical balance that caused anxiety that could be heard in my voice, otherwise the anxiety wouldn't had bothered me.

Mindescape
07-28-16, 10:54 PM
Well I've been medication free for three weeks, stopped the Vyvanse six weeks ago and the Klonopin almost three weeks ago and no sign of my Tourette's. I don't have that sharp attention span anymore with little to no anxiety, whenever I get on a bike or attempt to going snorkeling my stamina goes to zero quickly after a good hard paddle of about 10 seconds where my heart starts pounding like it did during the acute withdrawl.

My energy levels along with my sex drive it still at low, I'm starting to wonder if either will return. My mind is pretty sharp without the intense concentration that Vyvanse gave me, Klonopin never really did that on its own as it had a calming effect while Vyvanse gave my focus.

Leg pain is almost completely gone and most of the other side effects feel are all but gone, a bit less weak than I did when I was taking Vyvanse and a low dose of Klonopin. My sleep isn't that great unless I take something to help me sleep. If I could get my energy levels and sex drive back I'll have no complaints as it's nice to not have to rely on medication.

I'm certain Klonopin effected me on a low dose sex drive wise, but not on a high dose. Don't understand why my sex drive is still effected this long (3 weeks) off the medication with my last dose as .15mg once a day...?

sarahsweets
07-29-16, 06:49 AM
going off of it however is quite a different story. Would it be a safe bet that I might also have an opposite reaction to the side effects of other medications similar to Klonopin such as Wellbutrin? It seems like Klonopin isn't really doing anything for me since I started taking Vyvanse, my Tourette's seems to be a non-issue.

Wellbutrin is not anything like Klonopin. Its an NDRI, of the antidepressant class. Klonopin is a benzo.