View Full Version : appetite back while on Ritalin

Shamindo
06-05-16, 09:54 PM
Hi All,
I've been taking extended release for my ADHD for three months and it has really helped with my ADHD and binge eating disorder. However, I'm noticing that my appetite is coming back. At first I was ok with this, it's nice to like food again haha! But on my weekends when I don't take my meds, I binge pretty hard. It's making me feel pretty ****ty. As well, I'm scared that now my appetite has come back it's only a matter of time before I start bingeing again. Has anyone here had appetite come back but no bingeing? I'm wondering if I should just take ritalin for later half of day for evenings on the weekends, when I seem to binge the most.

DJ Bill
06-06-16, 10:42 AM
You've got two separate but intertwined issues...A couple of recommendations.
from a fellow binge'er.
Talk to your doctor about it. There may be some med changes or dosage changes that could help. (Buproprion (antidepressant that allowed me head space to really deal with my issues instead of wallowing in them)killed my appetite, and Ritalin did a very slight bit)

Try a 12 step group. You don't have to go to OA, but it could flip around yur thought process that leads to the bingeing. I personally have gone to OA but it wasn't till I really did the first four steps in another program that I really got something concrete out of it. You need to figure out just why you are bingeing. You might stop the overeating and transfer your addiction to alcohol, other drugs, working too much, etc. if you don't get to the root of it all and deal with it. Been there done that.

Get someone in your life to call when you feel like this and talk to them. Sponsors are good for this and so are trusted friends.

and lastly ....the obvious answer, is take your meds the same every day. Weekend breaks are no longer recommended from what I have read...It was more for kids going to school that were overmedicated to control them on weekdays, and let them have fun on weekends, in my opinion. Modern thought says if you want to live a "normal" life, stay on the meds.

I'm not a doctor or a therapist, so take my response with a grain or two of salt...I'm just a fellow "sufferer" and know where you are coming from all too well. :grouphug:

Shamindo
06-06-16, 11:35 PM
Thank you DJ Bill, I think part of the reason I took break is because my doctor is adamant I will develop a tolerance if I don't. Though I have read when on the right dose this does not happen. I feel like I am on the right dose, and coming off them for the weekend was the first timeI've binged in 4 months. I am waiting for a psychiatrist appointment.
Thank you re Wellbutrin. I had tried it years ago but went bezerk in three days. Crying and angry, though no hunger and lots of go! I came off immediately. But I have just finished reading a book and it said that this is extremely common in the first few weeks and that for many people, going on slowly and building up is required. I wish my doctor had recommended that. However, I do like that ADHD medication gives me the choice of being my old self for a few hours in the morning.

Addelicious
06-07-16, 10:32 AM
Why are you coming off the med on weekends? ADHD is 24/7 disease and it affects all aspect of one's like. For me, what worked was eating protein rich snack 4--5 times a day, spaced between my IR ADHD medication. I have no craving for food or urge to bing on cake.

Shamindo
06-07-16, 10:04 PM
My doctor told me eventually my ritalin tolerance would build up and it would not work anymore. I am really scared of this happeneing. I quit smoking a week and a half ago and noticed that my normal dose (half of what I was prescribed) didn't work as well with out the nicotine. So I started taking the full amount I was prescribed last week...I never took breaks before because I always felt "Well, I'm only taking half so I have another half to take if I start to tolerate it.." But now I'm taking 40 (which is working fine) since quitting smoking I thought I should take a break on weekends. He has me only taking half for two days on the weekends. So 40 monday to friday and 20 saturday and sunday.

sarahsweets
06-08-16, 04:31 AM
My doctor told me eventually my ritalin tolerance would build up and it would not work anymore. I am really scared of this happeneing. I quit smoking a week and a half ago and noticed that my normal dose (half of what I was prescribed) didn't work as well with out the nicotine. So I started taking the full amount I was prescribed last week...I never took breaks before because I always felt "Well, I'm only taking half so I have another half to take if I start to tolerate it.." But now I'm taking 40 (which is working fine) since quitting smoking I thought I should take a break on weekends. He has me only taking half for two days on the weekends. So 40 monday to friday and 20 saturday and sunday.

I missed the quitting smoking part. This to me, would be reason for the binge.

Addelicious
06-17-16, 12:27 PM
quitting smoking makes you eat like there is no tomorrow.