View Full Version : Practicum is killing me slowly...

Shamindo
06-05-16, 11:01 PM
So I am getting a degree in social work and have been placed in a centre for people with developmental disabilities to do a six week practicum. Not only is the woman in charge so disorganized that I feel like my ADHD is spreading to everyone around me, but the type of work is soooooo slow. OMG. I actually stopped taking my meds just so I COULD DAYDREAM. How's that for irony!? I'm hoping case work within mental health or family disputes will be more challenging form me in my next practicum. But wow. Never saw this coming. Always thought I would like a slow relaxed therapeutic environment as I do a lot of arts in my own time. Nope..need to be moving or engaging in solving conflict.

Chicky75
06-06-16, 05:02 PM
I'm sorry it's so slow for you; it's this your first practicum? Is there a practicum supervisor at the school who could help?

Shamindo
06-06-16, 11:22 PM
She said it's part of the learning...which I guess is true. Learning how the job affects me personally and with my "disability". LOL I'm feeling better today though, realize I only have 9 days left. I can suffer through it ;)...or at least day dream.

Pilgrim
06-07-16, 11:44 AM
For people with ADD, this is the danger. Disability is immobilising.