View Full Version : fMRI Activity in Adult ADHD: Does It Depend on Task Difficulty?

aeon
06-06-16, 11:42 PM
Increase or Decrease of fMRI Activity in Adult Attention Deficit/ Hyperactivity Disorder: Does It Depend on Task Difficulty? (http://ijnp.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2016/05/23/ijnp.pyw049)

Links to the International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology as hosted by Oxford University Press.

The International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology is now 100% free and total access. :yes:

From the paper, this had me cheering:

This is, to our knowledge, the first study investigating working memory processes and methylphenidate effects in a sample of aADHD patients
using a double-blind placebo-controlled design, and it also is the largest adult sample investigated to date with this type of design.

Yes, finally, some real study of Adult ADHD, and how meds function in adults.

Cheers,
Ian

Little Nut
06-07-16, 09:20 AM
Yes it is reassuring. OTOH I wish they would start being objective w/ AD meds/treatment. :rolleyes:

SB_UK
09-05-16, 04:29 AM
Increase or Decrease of fMRI Activity in Adult Attention Deficit/ Hyperactivity Disorder: Does It Depend on Task Difficulty? (http://ijnp.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2016/05/23/ijnp.pyw049)

Links to the International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology as hosted by Oxford University Press.

The International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology is now 100% free and total access. :yes:

From the paper, this had me cheering:

Yes, finally, some real study of Adult ADHD, and how meds function in adults.

Cheers,
Ian

ADDers don't pay attention if not interested ?
Medication confuses the ADDer mind into thinking it's interested ?

SB_UK
09-05-16, 04:35 AM
We can resolve all of these issues by simply asking what the mind is for ?
This will determine whether the ADDer is wrong or right not to be able to pay attention.

What should a mind set itself towards ?
What should a mind not set itself towards ?

Answers are really simple.

Should not set itself towards any goal which is not in the best interests of the species.
Should set itself towards any goal which is in the best interests of the species.

Yes - but if I do xyz then we may find that it makes stuff better for somebody
Nope - not good enough.
You can't just do something hoping that it'll have some positive effect - there has to be a stronger body of reasoning behind anything you do.

Yes but I'm only trained in splodging wibbles into flobbles.

Yes Grasshopper, when all you have is a hammer everything's a nailNow whack yourself soundly about the mind with it until you wake up.

And once the mind understands the point - it'll develop motivation - will engage hyperfocus - but until then - when asked to perform tasks which're overwhelmingly negative from a collective viewpoint - we're gonna' spend our lives thinking that we're either stupid or lazy.

It's society and your boss that're stupid and lazy for forcing you to perform some task which is not necessary, can be prevented or automated.

You SHOULD be on the beach surfing the waves like mighty Kary Mullis and Garrett Lisi.

Anybody can come up with PCR (just steal it from nature) or ToE (just steal it from nature) - our job is to have FUN.

And dopey ole human beings can't even get that right.

No ADDer ever procrastinated when it came to having fn - our only obstacle is to dismantle money so we eliminate the addictive sources of fun which people would turn to in this world - such that only good wholesome fun is open to us.

No to Big Mac shooters with cocaine and alcohol on the side (the things people call fun currently) due to the stress of living pointless lives
- and yes to the ascetic fantastic (a life of quality).

SB_UK
09-05-16, 04:46 AM
(my basic point is - that in the absence of a proper understanding of ADHD) science'll attempt all manner of not incorrect but silly interventions -

a bit like trying to leverage the might of the planet's electronics industry into coming up with a device to work out why there isn't a single fish that is capable of troubling Usain Bolt in the prestigious Olympc 30m hop, skip, jump and waggle event ... ... well, yes - science can do it

(it starts with sensors !!)

- but in the presence of a mind - science should find that it has all manner of (actually) useful things to set itself up against.

Like getting me out of horrible rainy (yes it's Summer and it's raining again) Britain into a lovely sunny place where proper vegetables and particularly olives grow.

Proper scientists hug olive trees (p<0.001).

SB_UK
09-05-16, 04:53 AM
Re: fMRI Activity in Adult ADHD: Does It Depend on Task Difficulty?
QUADRUPLE JUMPING FISH PARADOX
Task Difficulty - Hard
ADDer capacity to attend - Nil because dumb
fMRI activity - NIL (you should be able to feel your brain capillaries draining of blood at the thought)

GETTING ME TO OLIVE TREE COUNTRY
Task Difficulty - Hard
ADDer capacity to attend - High because not dumb
fMRI activity - BIG TIME (you should be able to feel your brain capillaries engorged on the possibilities open to you upon the species departing Dumbo (where the fish and the Usain fly) world)

SB_UK
09-05-16, 04:57 AM

Your joy shall be short-lived my son.
For we're about to show that there's no need for neuro psycho pharmacological agents -

which'll mean that there won't be much to read in this journal, unless, of course they change to a periodical specializing in getting people trapped in the dullsome (and more) UK to freedom near to a beach and olive grove someplace in the sun (duh!!).

Lunacie
09-05-16, 12:12 PM
Our results thus seem well in line with models that suggest executive function impairment in ADHD (Barkley, 1997; Sonuga-Barke, 2005; Sonuga-Barke et al., 2010). Unlike the patients of previous fMRI studies of working memory function (Bayerl et al., 2010; Cubillo et al., 2013), however, the patients in our study seem to have been able to compensate for their executive function deficits in a cognitively demanding situation, showing equal performance, but increased fMRI activation. Our strict inclusion and exclusion criteria might have contributed to this result as the participating patients might thus have been particularly well adjusted. One could therefore argue that these patients had successfully learned to compensate for the deficits caused by their ADHD earlier in life, which is reflected in our results.

So if I understand correctly, in terms of test results not much difference. But in terms of brain activity, clearly more was needed for the ADHD subjects to match the non-ADHD subjects results.

Which seems to prove that we are ALREADY working harder. Take that, everyone who claims we just need to try harder. :umm1:

20thcenturyfox
10-16-16, 03:44 PM
Oops, I spoke too soon! Sorry.

I, too, think we're going to learn a lot from these functional MRI studies, including hopefully some good practical targets for interventions to improve functioning even more.

Greyhound1
12-27-16, 12:31 PM
Your joy shall be short-lived my son.
For we're about to show that there's no need for neuro psycho pharmacological agents -

When is this supposed to happen?

Little Missy
12-27-16, 01:33 PM
Does this mean we'll be walking around barefoot with only one big eyeball for a face?

Little Missy
12-27-16, 03:37 PM
Does this mean we'll be walking around barefoot with only one big eyeball for a face?

I suppose if I were to line it and shade it just right with lots of mascara, I could probably pull it off.