View Full Version : "Bread and Other Edible Agents of Mental Disease"

Unmanagable
06-07-16, 08:58 AM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4809873/

Bread is the very symbol of food, and learning that it can threaten our mental wellbeing may come as a shock to many. Yet bread is not alone; like it, other foodstuffs, such as milk, rice, and corn, release exorphins during digestion. Wheat, rice, and corn are the staples of over 4 billion people.

Another popular substance, sugar, is prominent in many of our supermarket products and hidden in a myriad others. While not a source of exorphins, sugar provokes the release of endorphins and can induce—with addiction-associated neurophysiological changes—impressive craving, bingeing, and withdrawal problems (Ahmed et al., 2013).

Psychologists and psychiatrists typically pay much attention to their patients’ aberrant eating habits. They may wish to keep an eye on their normal eating habits as well.
My experiences of the last year have convinced me this information is worth considering. It changed my life for the better in many ways.

I recently noticed a significant decline in how I was feeling physically and mentally when I started eating bread again, every other day, not too long ago, after giving it up for a little over a year.

I'd eat the occasional sprouted grains slice here and there, and would notice the belly effects and would leave it alone. But, tomato season triggered the desire and my taste buds won over the wisdom I'd gained.

Remembering all the bread I'd eat in the past boggles my mind. My mom was always baking it and we'd eat it with every meal, and often as a snack, too.

sarahsweets
06-07-16, 10:32 AM
I dont have enough info to disagree or agree with you but I will share a battle Im having now. My 12 year old has health this semester. Not only has the school managed to make her obsessed with portions to the point of causing me great alarm, AND getting a healthy 12 year old who suffers from anxiety and depression and was hospitalized last year for it to obsess about the number on the scale-they are also promoting that 'standard' food pyramid thing with 6-11 servings of grains! Well now its a picture of a plate with foods and servings on it. Even though we eat starches there is no way I would ever feed her as many as this system calls for. Combine that with the sh*tty school lunch food that is institutionalized and prepared with crap, and all the "snacks" they can buy (FF with every lunch?) how hypocritical it is for them to even talk about healthy food. Yes, I pack her lunch everyday because she hates the food and I stopped letting her have it a year or so ago. Today she has baby spinach with balsamic, blueberries, a kiwi, and 2 small crap free butter cookies and bottled water. I dont think this is so bad and would love to see what the gym/health teacher eats for lunch every day!
WHEW! sorry unmanageable, I think this sort of goes along with your thread but I dont mean to hijack it either.

Unmanagable
06-07-16, 01:26 PM
You didn't hijack it. I feel what you shared very much has to do with the info I shared. Thanks for sharing. Schools and hospitals offer the WORST crap, ever, in my opinion.

If you look at healthful food combining, you'll see we aren't supposed to be mixing meats and starches, not eating fruit after fats and stuff, nor drinking with our meals. The exact opposite of how most of us were raised.

It's a full-time job just trying to figure it out and undo the damage the so called experts have created.

Many peeps feel if they aren't suffering from something physical in the moment, that they must be healthy, not realizing this stuff builds up over time then lets loose in various and sometimes subtle ways. Other times, BOOM! Most of the time, being repeatedly misdiagnosed and treated, ultimately causing even more issues. Grrrrrrrrrr........

ginniebean
06-07-16, 01:37 PM
While I'm very skeptical about mental health claims that are made regarding mental health and foods I do think a carb heavy diet is not good for anyone.

I feel no change in my symptoms and I'm on a low carb diet.

Unmanagable
06-07-16, 01:50 PM
I was very skeptical, too, until I lived it and began to dive in much deeper to the information that was never shared in any of the educational institutions I was taught in.

Removing gluten was my gateway discovery in how severely food affects my functioning capacity. But it was mainly in the areas of pain, inflammation, and brain fog.

All the other food-like substances, along with the energies attached to the death-food choices still kept me in a very unhealthy space, physically and mentally.

It wasn't until I eliminated all meat, dairy, eggs, caffeine, alcohol, and most grains that I really noticed and felt the difference, and have been able to sustain the relief much better than ever.

I had given up on food ever being able to help me resolve what all I suffered with until I dove in head first with the more drastic changes. Best move I ever made for my own health.

We have many years of build up to clean out and eliminate before we can recognize what's even happening to our innards in great detail, from my experiences.

ginniebean
06-07-16, 02:33 PM
I've had to go the opposite direction. I can't physically handle carbs anymore so it's hflc for me. I do feel physically better.

sarek
06-08-16, 04:42 AM
I am working on multiple angles at the moment but by far the most important improvement in my condition has come from eliminating wheat (not even all gluten, just wheat).
It has had the dual effect of eliminating my afternoon fatigue/dozyness as well as taking a few pounds off my weight. My brain fog has markedly improved.

Fuzzy12
06-08-16, 05:42 AM
I'm just curious. If you eliminate wheat or all gluten products how do you keep up your fibre intake?

Little Missy
06-08-16, 05:57 AM
I'm just curious. If you eliminate wheat or all gluten products how do you keep up your fibre intake?

Fruits and vegetables!

Fuzzy12
06-08-16, 06:36 AM
Fruits and vegetables!

Yes but would fruits and vegetables be enough?

Little Missy
06-08-16, 06:41 AM
Yes but would fruits and vegetables be enough?

Of course! I think. :scratch:

Unmanagable
06-08-16, 08:32 AM
Fruits and vegetables have more than proven to be fiber enough for me in the last 14 months, thus far.