View Full Version : Would anyone who has experience with diabetes or has diabetes consider please share?

sarahsweets
06-08-16, 10:48 AM
I actually would love to chat with someone if they are willing. This isnt limited to just diabetes. Anyone with low blood sugar, hyper/hypoglycemia, food sensitivities are welcome to share. I have some concerns about myself, but I'd rather chat with someone than go back and forth here. It would bore the hell out of everyone! Can you share what led you to consider you had diabetes or the above issues, if and how you were diagnosed and how you treat it? Either with meds, diet, exercise or other things? I know I could google it, but you know how that goes...you google and all of a sudden you think youre about to die. Once I did a symptom checker for lower abdominal pain and it said to get my testicles checked so you see why I would rather have first hand opinions?
Personal testimonies are welcome as well as medical interventions. And if you use FB messenger or text and can go back and forth that would help me too.

psychopathetic
06-09-16, 12:10 AM
Oh :(

Did you just get diagnosed Sweets?

Diabetes sucks ***.

There was a 3 or 4 day stretch a few years ago, where I had an EXTREMELY intense thirst. I mean...it was extreme. Water tasted horrible for me, so I drank a lot of soda to quench my thirst.
And it was bad.
I'd get to the convenience store, and grab the biggest xxl fountain cup I could get. By the time I payed for the soda and was in my car I'd already have drank half the soda in the cup. By the time I drove back home...the cup would be empty.
Every 15-30 minutes I'd have to use the bathroom very urgently.

This went on for 3 or 4 days.
But on the last day, things go super bad. I was completely unable to sleep cause I was constantly up having to use the bathroom...and I then I became really weird. Like I couldn't talk straight or concentrate on anything, and all I wanted to do...the ONLY thing I wanted to do...was to drink. My thirst was freaking fierce!

So my parents took me up to the hospital's E.R. lol I remember sitting in the room waiting for a doctor and they had a sink...and I kept walking to the sink, turning it on and filling my hands up with water and splashing it all over my face and arms. I so badly just wanted to drench myself in cold water. My entire body was just craving it.

That night in the e.r. was not fun.
My heart was racing at over 150 beats a minute...they gave me a shot that was suppose to reset my heart's electrical systems or something...but it was suppose to slow my heart rate...it didn't...though it sure scared me.

And they discovered that night that I was diabetic. That what I was experiencing was DKA...Diabetic Ketoacidosis.
My sugar levels were so high that their high end equipment couldn't even read that high. They think that it was probably between 800-1000 when I came in. They said my blood was almost as thick as ketchup, and that I should've been in a coma...or worse. They weren't sure how I was still conscious at that point.

So then I had the pleasure of staying in I.C.U. for a few days. That was fun. Especially since I was directly across from the nurse's station. It meant I got NO sleep.
And it was really bad. They wouldn't let me eat anything...and they had tons of different liquids pouring through me through my I.V.
I don't know what it was...but whatever it was made water taste absolutely horrible. I was still experiencing a severe thirst and all I wanted in the world was to quench the thirst. Yet the only thing they'd let me have is ice...and omg...water tasted SO bad! I have no words to describe the taste, but it made my entire body clench every time I tried to eat some ice to help with my ungodly thirst.

Blech.
Not freaking fun.

I had a nurse come in and show me how to give myself insulin shots...and was let go after a few days.
Luckily it wasn't too long before my taste went back to normal and I could drink again.
Took me several months before I could stand diet drinks. Now I swear by them (though I don't drink too many diet sodas. A 12 pack of cans can last me several weeks usually).

I struggle each and everyday with keeping my sugars down.
I'm very immature when it comes to taking care of my health.
I over eat, still consume too much sugar, and what I struggle the most cutting from my diet...is carbs and breads. Gawd how I love pasta :(.

I have to give myself 1 shot each day of a long lasting insulin...and then a shot at each meal of some quick acting insulin.
I'm VERY lucky to have insurance that covers it all for me.

It's been 4 or 5 years since I've been diagnosed. My doctors tell me he thinks I'm both type 1, and type 2. It means my cells are insulin resistant, and also that my body can't produce enough insulin on it's own.
Both my mom and my dad had diabetes (both type 2) at the time I discovered mine.

Sorry for the long post!

(((((((Hugs)))))))

Diabetes sucks.
:(

sarahsweets
06-09-16, 01:49 AM
Thanks so much for sharing dear, I havent been diagnosed but in putting the pieces of my health together, its something that ive wondered about. Its hard to know if the symptoms I have with this other stuff is something new to tune into or something thats still related to my endochrine system malfunction.
I get these 'attacks' where my heart races, i feel sick to my stomach and I start to sweat..I mean sweat from the head down until whatever Im wearing is soaked. Its not necessarily a hot flash like you'd think and Ive noticed twice that its come after eating something very sugary which I really dont do often.
I had gastric bypass in 2007 but managed to put 20lbs on in the last year, like out of the blue. But to be fair, I havent been as prudent with what I eat.
The last thing I want is to have something else wrong. But if its something like this...well then Id want to know.
I pee very frequently. I dont think Im thirsty although I have an issue drinking the amount of water that I should. I drink coffee but no sugar drinks or juices.
There's other stuff too.
I am pretty sure with all of the blood work Ive had I have had my sugar or something diabetic related checked- but I didnt have that one three hour tests where you drink that stuff and they draw your blood over three hours.
Idk, anything else you can think of that I could look into?

KarmanMonkey
06-09-16, 03:57 PM
I hear people talking about how they manage their diabetes and I wonder how people stay on top of it when they have ADD.

I'm actually surprised there isn't a whole forum for it in the co-morbid section. :-)

FYI, the test where they have you drink the horrific sweet stuff is only given if you test a certain way on the bloodwork. If you've had bloodwork that required fasting, you've probably had your sugars checked.

Never hurts to talk to your GP and see if it's something that's been checked recently; the problem with type 2 diabetes is that sometimes it can have few or no symptoms for a long while. So if you're at all concerned, get it checked. And assuming your sugars are fine, it's a matter of figuring out what else can be the issue.

The symptoms you describe sounds like it might be blood pressure or heart related (note that I'm not a doctor), but regardless, it sounds serious enough to get checked out.

Back to the original subject; does anyone know if there are resources or a forum for people with ADD and diabetes?

aeon
06-09-16, 04:52 PM
Type 2 here.

I hear people talking about how they manage their diabetes and I wonder how people stay on top of it when they have ADD.

Dexedrine, and/or perseveration. ;)

Cheers,
Ian

BellaVita
06-09-16, 10:24 PM
When I was a kid the issue was tossed back and forth whether I was diabetic.

I wasn't, but had issues with my blood sugar. So the doctor said I should eat several small snacks a day to help with that. (I'd get very shaky and weak and couldn't function properly if I didn't)

So I got permission at school to eat snacks throughout the day for my health.

I'm still very sensitive to blood sugar stuff. When I wake up in the morning is the absolute worst. I usually have a headache and feel shaky and weak, a bit dizzy and irritable. It's awful. It all starts to go away after I get some food in me. I basically rush to get food in me because of how bad I feel.

Anyway, that's probably not very helpful information. Lol.

I'm sorry you might have another health issue on top of all your other ones. :(

Ugh. I really hope things get better for you. This stinks. :(

:grouphug:

sarahsweets
06-10-16, 06:13 AM

I'm actually surprised there isn't a whole forum for it in the co-morbid section. :-)

FYI, the test where they have you drink the horrific sweet stuff is only given if you test a certain way on the bloodwork. If you've had bloodwork that required fasting, you've probably had your sugars checked.

Never hurts to talk to your GP and see if it's something that's been checked recently; the problem with type 2 diabetes is that sometimes it can have few or no symptoms for a long while. So if you're at all concerned, get it checked. And assuming your sugars are fine, it's a matter of figuring out what else can be the issue.

The symptoms you describe sounds like it might be blood pressure or heart related (note that I'm not a doctor), but regardless, it sounds serious enough to get checked out.

Back to the original subject; does anyone know if there are resources or a forum for people with ADD and diabetes?

Thats what I thought. Im working on cutting way down on most carbs and all sugars. Yesterday I ate very raw, and some eggs and tuna. I felt so bad by the time dinner time was rolling around I ate some blackberries and a small piece of 85% dark chocolate. I could really tell the difference in the way I felt. Now I ate small meals through out the day, had some tuna at lunch so I know I had food that should have made me feel more stable. I figured they probably checked my sugar but its still worth experimenting with. Once thing that could be related to the other health issues, is numbness in my feet and hands. They go numb all the time. i could be in the middle of a hot flash sweating my a* off and have cold feel.
The other thing is I have to see a rheumatologist. About 6 weeks ago I got a throat infection that was so severe it required two rounds of antibiotics. A week later the joints on my thumb and ball of my feet started to swell. The aches are unbearable. I was having a hard time driving. It is mildly constant with flair ups. I had xrays and its not necessarily bone related.
According to my pcp and ER I apparently 'caugh' RA if thats even possible due to my comprimized immune system.I didnt even think this could happen. The throat infection was likely viral they said.
I also just had the RA bloodwork done in addition to a Lymes test because of a suspicious tick bite on, of all places, my boobie!
The pain is in my hands, feet and knees . went to the podiatrist and had my leg circulation and feet checked and he thinks its RA too.

Sorry for the thread hijack, Im getting desperate and it feels good to let this out.
Trick is finding a rheumatologist. The one my mom, who is a nurse at the hospital, recommended said they were not taking new patients yet I ran into someone at AA that was a new patient and just saw the doc!

KarmanMonkey
06-10-16, 08:41 AM
Sounds like you have a whole collection of issues going on. Here's hoping they can find the common thread and address it!

Reading up a bit on RA, there's a possibility that it's responsible for at least some of the other non-joint issues you're describing. Hopefully it's the cause of all of it, because RA is treatable, and especially if caught in the first couple years there's a great amount of recovery to be had.

Unmanagable
06-10-16, 09:01 AM
Read about the lymph system, sarah. The body's sewer system. Learning about it and how to keep it flowing has helped me tremendously. No one ever taught me about that in my typical societal pursuits of wellness, either. Yet another thing that's been incredibly helpful that I had to dig deep to find.

I sent you a link in a private message y'day, due to possible marketing talk of herbs in his vids, that has shared more incredibly helpful info, too. Highly acidic bodies create much dis-ease. Food combining can create a s*** load of issues. Medical doctors won't discuss this stuff because they didn't learn about it, either, and unless they specifically seek it out, they won't be taught about it in medical school.

Fuzzy12
06-10-16, 09:23 AM
What's ra? Rheumatoid arthritis?

sarahsweets
06-10-16, 01:41 PM
What's ra? Rheumatoid arthritis?

Yes, I got lazy!