View Full Version : Worth talking to the pharmacist?

spunky84
06-10-16, 07:57 PM
With Vyvanse being a controlled substance, I know you have to be careful how you fill your scripts.

I filled my first script for 30 mg on May 13. I was instructed to go up to 60 (so 30 x2) after a week. That took me to May 30 when I needed fill the new script for 60 (or maybe even the 29th, but 17-18 days after filling the first script).

So I got my script on the 30th, and then I had another appt that Thursday (June 2). He upped me to 70 mg. He wrote the script for 70 - I asked about 10 mg since it'd be more practical (and probably safer practice), but he said it didn't come in 10 (everything I've ready everywhere says it does). So he wrote it for 70.

I told him I just filled the 60 a few days prior, and that I was worried about potential flagging if I just filled that and then now am filling the 70. He agreed and just said to wait 2 weeks to fill it.

My insurance should cover it since it's a different dose, but from what I understand the pharmacist has the right to refuse to fill it if they don't feel comfortable doing so.

I still worry about even just waiting the 2 weeks. I just really don't need any issues. I have too many big things going on right to have to deal with that.

Would it be worth speaking with the pharmacist about the situation and see what they think as far as if there would be an issue with filling it? I'm not really all that sure what I should say / ask.

Little Missy
06-10-16, 08:52 PM
Just hand him the script and remember to say "please" and "thank you." :)

sarahsweets
06-11-16, 11:51 AM
I didnt think pharmacists could refuse something they felt uncomfortable with if a doc has determined its ok.

psychopathetic
06-11-16, 12:03 PM
I didnt think pharmacists could refuse something they felt uncomfortable with if a doc has determined its ok.

And I'd also think that if they DID find it suspicious or whatever, they'd call the prescribing doctor and discuss it with them.

I don't know if it's the same with all pharmacies, but my pharmacy seems to be in contact with doctors all the time.

But if you are worried about it, and you feel comfortable, there's nothing wrong in speaking with your pharmacy and asking them directly.

I don't believe you've got anything to worry about though.

(((Hugs)))

Little Nut
06-11-16, 04:34 PM
With Vyvanse being a controlled substance, I know you have to be careful how you fill your scripts.

I filled my first script for 30 mg on May 13. I was instructed to go up to 60 (so 30 x2) after a week. That took me to May 30 when I needed fill the new script for 60 (or maybe even the 29th, but 17-18 days after filling the first script).

So I got my script on the 30th, and then I had another appt that Thursday (June 2). He upped me to 70 mg. He wrote the script for 70 - I asked about 10 mg since it'd be more practical (and probably safer practice), but he said it didn't come in 10 (everything I've ready everywhere says it does). So he wrote it for 70.

I told him I just filled the 60 a few days prior, and that I was worried about potential flagging if I just filled that and then now am filling the 70. He agreed and just said to wait 2 weeks to fill it.

My insurance should cover it since it's a different dose, but from what I understand the pharmacist has the right to refuse to fill it if they don't feel comfortable doing so.

I still worry about even just waiting the 2 weeks. I just really don't need any issues. I have too many big things going on right to have to deal with that.

Would it be worth speaking with the pharmacist about the situation and see what they think as far as if there would be an issue with filling it? I'm not really all that sure what I should say / ask.

Hey Spunky, lemme see if I understand correctly. You have a 70mg/d script in-hand. You refilled a 60mg/d script 2 days ago. You want to know when is the earliest that you can fill the 70mg/d without it being an "issue".

If I have that right, I would start with my Insurance company. Mine gets pissy even for non schedule drugs if I try to refill a 90 day prescription after only 40-50 days. You may know their rules. Then I would ask a local pharmacist, BUT NOT AT MY CURRENT PHARMACY. GL, -LN

Fuzzy12
06-11-16, 04:43 PM
And I'd also think that if they DID find it suspicious or whatever, they'd call the prescribing doctor and discuss it with them.

I don't know if it's the same with all pharmacies, but my pharmacy seems to be in contact with doctors all the time.

But if you are worried about it, and you feel comfortable, there's nothing wrong in speaking with your pharmacy and asking them directly.

I don't believe you've got anything to worry about though.

(((Hugs)))
I think it depends on the pharmacist and I could be wrong but I don't think they have to fill your prescriptions.

My pharmacy regularly used to refuse my prescriptions because my psychiatrist made some mistake or the other on the prescriptions. One pharmacist was usually happy to call the psychiatrist's office and clarify but the other pharmacist at that pharmacy would just down right refuse and ask me to get another prescription.

sarahsweets
06-11-16, 10:34 PM
I dont like the idea that a pharmacist can refuse because he feels uncomfortable....

C15H25N3O
06-12-16, 12:01 AM
It is all due to reporting to drug authorities which is part of the stigma ... but
a physician can prescribe everything he wants for a period he decides almost if
it is covering six months if you pay on your own it has to be filled if available

If it is payed by the insurance they make the rules

Little Nut
06-12-16, 09:45 AM
As I understand your post, that is not true C15. My Doc can not write me a single prescription for 60 days of dexedrine that any Louisiana pharmacist could legally dispense. I also believe there are legal restrictions on the time between dispensing one prescription for dexedrine and the next. iirc there are also similar but much more liberal restrictions for vanilla prescriptions, like no more than 90 days worth dispensed at a single time. Regards, -LN

Shamindo
06-12-16, 10:11 AM
Do you know your pharmacist? Like would he recognize you and is friendly? I have no problem questioning my Pharmacist about drugs. In fact every prescription my doctor gives me I double check with my pharmacist.

QuasarMind
06-12-16, 01:17 PM
It probably depends on your state, but honestly it is unlikely you will get in trouble for following your doctor's advice unless there is a pattern supporting abuse. I would just do exactly as your doctor says until if you feel he is supporting drug abuse. If he were an over-prescriber for others, it is unlikely he would be so confident in his recommendation to just fill it. At this point, you have a valid reason to fill the new script with presumably no history of deceptive patterns of prescription abuse.

PS, I have found Vyvanse to work much better when fasting for the first 3 hours after taking Vyvanse.

spunky84
06-13-16, 01:06 AM
I took the script in this morning since I had to pick my son's prescriptions up and it'd be unlikely that I'd get to it later in the week.

I don't really recall ever meeting the pharmacist (maybe once or twice - just in a quick transaction a long time ago). The tech I see a lot there. I'm not sure if he recognizes me from the countless times I've been there, but he also went to school with my husband.

I ended up asking him. He said he'd ask for me, but he said that as long as it's the same doctor from the other scripts, it should be okay. The pharmacist okayed it, but he rang me out and said he wanted to ask a couple of questions.

Pretty much asking if there will be any more adjustments since 70 is max. Also asked if I was taking the 60 with it or just the 70.

My meds hadn't kicked in yet, and I couldn't quite wrap my head around the questions and felt like of like an idiot and just said "I believe so, and no, just the 70." I know that was sufficient enough, but I felt like I needed to explain that the only adjustment at this point is if the 70 is too much, I was told to just go back to taking the 60.

But my next script should be from another psychiatrist as I'm switching, but that appt is a few days before this new one will run out, so hopefully it won't be an issue.

I was just wondering as I saw in the Adderall board, someone's pharmacist refused to fill his script and wouldn't give him back the script when he tried to fill it a little early because he was going out of town.

But hopefully this won't be an issue anymore now that I'm maxed out and seeing someone new.

Quesar: I'm still trying to figure out the food thing. My days are so inconsistent that sometimes I can wait to eat and others I can't (because of my school schedule). I pretty much really only eat light during the day (toast). When you fast for the first 3 hours, do find it lasts a little longer or just that it's just that much better in helping in general?

For me, it seems to be doing relatively well (considering I put in about 8-10 hours of studying today - which I've never done!), but it's just the wearing off and still having to function / get things done. Actually, I think that's the main reason I was bumped up to 70 (because of the duration).

QuasarMind
06-13-16, 03:05 PM
Just be sure to give the doctor the date of your last filling. In Texas they have a "do not fill before" section of the c2 script, I assume not all states are uniform to this.

wonderboy
06-13-16, 10:27 PM
It may just be me, but most pharmaciststhat I have interacted with have relatively no clue about anything over-the-counter or else

Also, I have noticed that many of them have what appears to be a chip on their shoulder.

Not by --any means everyone-- in fact I have met very professional pharmacist (s) who are kind, caring and informative

spunky84
06-25-16, 01:08 AM
Just be sure to give the doctor the date of your last filling. In Texas they have a "do not fill before" section of the c2 script, I assume not all states are uniform to this.

I don't think they do that in Ohio, unfortunately. I think it would be a brilliant idea to place on any scripts that are given in advance (like for stimulants). I also think it'd be great to put on the pill bottles themselves if someone has refills on file (regardless of the drug). I just think it'd make sense and could beneficial to so many.

I'm a little anxious about getting my next script filled with another provider. I know I'm over thinking things, but I just don't want trouble. I don't need trouble. I don't have anything left in me at the moment to be able to even deal with any issue like that, which is probably why I'm feeling so anxious about it.

I need ask about something for the afternoon because there's just no extending Vyvanse for the time frame I need it. I'm already doing everything I can (food, drinking, caffiene in the am -- then take Vyvanse as late as I can to try and get me through the day). I'm getting through classes at most, but as soon as it wears off, I'm useless with trying to study / focus / concentrate. Then I end up getting even more overwhelmed than I already am on a daily basis, shut down, and then I'm even less productive.

I feel awkward about asking this new doctor about it, but if he does, would it be weird / silly to ask that he write up something for the pharmacist to explain the dosing? I feel like things would be fine with the pharmacist if nothing changes, but if anything changes (like a dose of whatever for the afternoon), I feel like he may take issue with that and refuse to fill it or flag me based on his response with this last script I filled.

Laserbeak
06-25-16, 07:03 AM
from what I understand the pharmacist has the right to refuse to fill it if they don't feel comfortable doing so.

I've heard conflicting opinions on this.

In any case, they can delay filling it for several days while they check it out with your doctor and the state and/or federal drug authorities like the DEA.

The best thing to do is just go to another pharmacy that is not owned by the same company as the first. NOTE: This won't work in New York State and maybe other states as they have set up a centralized computer system so doctors and pharmacists can see what you've been getting at all pharmacies in the state. Very big-brotherish.