View Full Version : Anyway to get the free windows 10 upgrade while still using windows 8.1

acdc01
06-11-16, 11:18 AM
I read that if I don't upgrade to win 10 by July, the upgrade will not be free anymore.

I love win 8.1 and don't want to upgrade to win 10. But I'm afraid someday, I my security protections and software compatibilities won't be good enough if I don't upgrade to windows 10.

Am I correct in that assumption?

Also, is there a way for me to get the free windows 10 upgrade now since it's free at this time but then just still use windows 8.1. Like maybe download win 10, back it up on a separate hard drive, and then reload win 8.1 again? And then if I ever need win 10, load it into my laptop at that time?

psychopathetic
06-11-16, 11:34 AM
You can download the .iso file of windows 10, directly from microsoft's website. From there you can burn it to a dvd or mount it if you know how to or have software that lets you play with iso files.

The 32 bit version is about 3 gigabytes.
the 64 bit version is about 4.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Hope that helps! :)

sarahsweets
06-11-16, 11:36 AM
I have this sh*tty little notebook/ windows thing and what I didnt know when I bought it was how little memory it has. I have no room for it and almost nothing saved. I was an apple girl so I have no idea how to free up space for it

acdc01
06-11-16, 07:54 PM
Thanks psycho. Is the iso file really enough though? I thought it was about the activation code and having one for win 10 (right now, it'll accept our 8.1 code for free but later perhaps not)?

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Little Missy
06-11-16, 08:59 PM
It just downloaded ITSELF on one of my computers one day. Very strange. I'm not a fan.

aeon
06-12-16, 01:23 AM
It just downloaded ITSELF on one of my computers one day. Very strange. I'm not a fan.

Depends on how your automatic updates are set.

Yours was clearly set to automatic (default).

Cheers,
Ian

psychopathetic
06-12-16, 05:14 AM
Thanks psycho. Is the iso file really enough though? I thought it was about the activation code and having one for win 10 (right now, it'll accept our 8.1 code for free but later perhaps not)?

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Well now I don't actually know to be quite honest :(

I do know the iso will have everything you need to fully upgrade to windows 10 when you're ready...but I'm not sure if you'll need to pay for an activation code if you wait or not.

Sorry :(

psychopathetic
06-12-16, 05:22 AM
HERE'S AN ARTICLE (http://www.howtogeek.com/253901/get-windows-10-for-free-after-july-29th-with-a-little-prep-now/)

I found on google. In a nutshell it walks you through a couple of ways to upgrade to windows 10 now...then revert your system back to windows 8.1. They say in doing so, you'll be able to upgrade back to 10 in the future without having to pay.

lol I wish I could do this for you!
I use to fiddle around with my parent's computers a lot to get them running just the way they wanted and needed. Haven't done so in a good long time, and I'd love to have a project such as this to tackle atm.

Little Missy
06-12-16, 06:30 AM
Depends on how your automatic updates are set.

Yours was clearly set to automatic (default).

Cheers,
Ian

ahhh...thank you! :) Maybe I should look before jacking my mouth off.

acdc01
06-12-16, 02:38 PM
HERE'S AN ARTICLE (http://www.howtogeek.com/253901/get-windows-10-for-free-after-july-29th-with-a-little-prep-now/)

I found on google. In a nutshell it walks you through a couple of ways to upgrade to windows 10 now...then revert your system back to windows 8.1. They say in doing so, you'll be able to upgrade back to 10 in the future without having to pay.

lol I wish I could do this for you!
I use to fiddle around with my parent's computers a lot to get them running just the way they wanted and needed. Haven't done so in a good long time, and I'd love to have a project such as this to tackle atm.

Thanks a lot. I've been meaning to upgrade my hard drive so I think I'll do it at the same time. I guess Windows 10 will have to be on my new hard drive too so I have to clone my 8.1 onto my new hard drive. And then use the process you gave to install and then revert back from 10.

I'm not a tech guru but I'm not tech challenged either so can probably get it to work. Though I wish you could do it for me too lol. Thanks.

acdc01
06-12-16, 02:39 PM
I have this sh*tty little notebook/ windows thing and what I didnt know when I bought it was how little memory it has. I have no room for it and almost nothing saved. I was an apple girl so I have no idea how to free up space for it

Did you ever get this notebook to upgrade for you? If not, what notebook is it?

I can give you suggestions for increasing memory space but I think my methods might not be as effective as other peoples here who are more knowledgeable than me.

Phineas
07-05-16, 10:04 PM
I didn't bother with the free "upgrade" as it's actually a downgrade. I figure when it comes time to buy a new laptop it will already have Windows 10.

sarahsweets
07-06-16, 06:42 AM
Did you ever get this notebook to upgrade for you? If not, what notebook is it?

I can give you suggestions for increasing memory space but I think my methods might not be as effective as other peoples here who are more knowledgeable than me.

Its an hp stream 11 laptop. funny that its called a laptop. They discontinued this one but the general info was:
intel celeron 2G, 32 GB eMMC, .
It was all I could afford last year.

And at least once a day, I get the notification that I can upgrade, but there isnt any room.

Mercurial
07-09-16, 05:45 AM
Keep Win 8.1 on an external hard drive, you can dual boot with Win 10 on your native hard drive.
Free Win 10 upgrade
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12426/windows-10-help-upgrade

Windows 8.1 will reach end of Mainstream Support on January 9, 2018
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/lifecycle-windows81-faq

Merc

Mercurial
07-09-16, 08:17 AM
Consider your choice to upgrade to Win 10. PM me as there are some things you cannot post on the forum.

If you value your privacy read this:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/15/windows-10-automatically-installs-without-permission-complain-users

First and foremost... Turn off Windows Auto-updates, read above

acdc01
07-18-16, 08:53 AM
Its an hp stream 11 laptop. funny that its called a laptop. They discontinued this one but the general info was:
intel celeron 2G, 32 GB eMMC, .
It was all I could afford last year.

And at least once a day, I get the notification that I can upgrade, but there isnt any room.

I found your laptop with Windows 10 on it for sale so it should be doable. Your extremely small memory though makes it much harder to help you figure out how to do it over a forum though.

Maybe try bringing it into a Microsoft store and see if they'll help you for free? MS really wants you to upgrade to 10 anyway. The free version of 10 runs out by the 29th so you'll want to do it fast if you do it.

Mercurial
07-26-16, 02:41 AM
The official date according to technet is July 31, Win 10 has been introduced by MS, facebook and the NSA.

Say bye to your privacy

Mercurial

optimismhitting
01-19-17, 11:03 PM
I should've done that burning to the CD thingy back then. Too bad I didn't.

Fraser_0762
01-19-17, 11:06 PM
There are "other" ways of getting hold of an ISO of Windows 10 or any other operating system if you look around on the web.

In all honesty, I think both 8.1 and 10 are pretty horrible and 7 Ultimate is the one to stick with right now if you're a windows user.