View Full Version : Travel activities

ADHDWife&Mom
06-11-16, 04:13 PM
What do you like to pack for your kids with ADHD for long car and plane trips? Im trying to come up with things other than screens. He will be allowed some screens but if we allow too much it will make his behavior horrible.

Some things Ive come up with so far:
Books
Paper/pencil for drawing/journal
Silly Putty

ETA: he is 10yrs old

Fuzzy12
06-11-16, 04:15 PM
I think some kids love playing games like 'I spy' in the car.

ADHDWife&Mom
06-11-16, 04:43 PM
I think some kids love playing games like 'I spy' in the car.

Thanks. He has tried this before and it usually only entertains him for about 15 minutes. Either he cant find enough things to keep him interested or he finds enough of them quickly enough that the game becomes boring.

casper
06-11-16, 06:25 PM
License plate game- find a plate from each state
Silly putty
Word search

TygerSan
06-11-16, 09:48 PM
Does he read at all? I swore by comic books. I loved Tintin and read those over and over again. We also had all sorts of stupid little non-electronic games and books: mad libs, the old Wooly Willy (https://www.google.com/search?q=silly+willy+magnetic&biw=1320&bih=628&tbm=isch&imgil=z7EB47oeK8ZeiM%253A%253BnecunUdOHsfr8M%253Bh ttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fcreativekidstuff.com%2525 2Fstore%25252Fck%25252Fitem%25252F57959%25252Fthe-original-wooly-willy-magnetic-wand-drawing-toy&source=iu&pf=m&fir=z7EB47oeK8ZeiM%253A%252CnecunUdOHsfr8M%252C_&usg=__v38gDqbJSubg3avZ7YreWJPRx6Y%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjZpKTOrqHNAhXKVz4KHTInBnQQyjcILQ&ei=f75cV5npLsqv-QGyzpigBw#imgrc=z7EB47oeK8ZeiM%3A) and Doodle Balls/MagnaDoodle, the activity books with crosswords, word searches and logic puzzles, coloring books/blank notebooks and colored pencils. Tic-Tac-Toe and Dots are games you can play with pencil and paper. Sudoku and Ken-Ken are great for older kids.

My sister and I played for hours with kleenex- we dressed up our fingers and had finger puppet theater.

Playmobil people (or really any type of action figure)

Multiple siblings? Some card or board games might work (even if they are on screens, they might be a bit more calming than the other games he might play) Ticket To Ride is a great board game with an App to allow for play without the pesky pieces.

Alphabet game- find a (different) sign for each letter of the alphabet. Usually we'd get stuck on "J." In Europe, "X" can be difficult.

peripatetic
06-12-16, 05:11 AM
i was really into puzzles at that age.
i also enjoyed reading the map and playing navigator
you can get those markers that only write on the paper they come with
card games? easy ones, like go fish and old maid
that's all i can think off. hope it helps

sarahsweets
06-12-16, 08:20 AM
I get wanting to engage them.My kids are all adhd and the younger two were born before smart phones and tablets. I swear, If i had the options of screen time, I would have let them have it as much as they wanted just to survive the long ride.

acdc01
06-12-16, 09:39 AM
mini magnetic board games and cards are what I played with beyond what you've listed. You might ask your kid what he wants to bring.

Healthy snacks. Chewing keeps them quiet.

Overall, it sounds like you have enough supplies if you use them right.

Paper and pen can do many things. We played hangman, tic-tac-toe, and connect the dots where each person would take turns drawing a line and the person who formed the most triangles would win. We would draw comic versions of each other and just draw in general. I would tell a story through drawings - my hyper 3 year old niece was hyponotized to the paper when I was telling the story while drawing, much more so than books. I encouraged her to tell a story too. We folded origami (making those fortune predicting things, Chinese stars, and boats, etc.).

Oh, and if you are returning from vacation. Involving things they loved from the vacation in your activities helps too. Like I drew out a story about a baby manatee and her mother cause we had just finished snorkeling with manatee which she absolutely loved.

Unmanagable
06-12-16, 10:19 AM
Old school metal lap trays (can be found in a lot of thrift shops) make great magnet boards and a sort of desk to use to draw, write, and/or read on.

Alphabet magnets would be cool so they could spell stuff out. I made a set of those with glass gems, old greeting cards with a circular paper punch, and round magnets from the craft shop.

I found a lap tray that isn't metal (wood fram and legs with a white plastic tray) that is also good to use as a dry erase board.

Old picture frames (with no sharp corners) can be used as dry erase boards, too. just put a plain sheet of paper in it rather than a photo and ta-da.

ADHDWife&Mom
06-12-16, 09:43 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Does he read at all? I swore by comic books. I loved Tintin and read those over and over again. We also had all sorts of stupid little non-electronic games and books: mad libs, the old Wooly Willy (https://www.google.com/search?q=silly+willy+magnetic&biw=1320&bih=628&tbm=isch&imgil=z7EB47oeK8ZeiM%253A%253BnecunUdOHsfr8M%253Bh ttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fcreativekidstuff.com%2525 2Fstore%25252Fck%25252Fitem%25252F57959%25252Fthe-original-wooly-willy-magnetic-wand-drawing-toy&source=iu&pf=m&fir=z7EB47oeK8ZeiM%253A%252CnecunUdOHsfr8M%252C_&usg=__v38gDqbJSubg3avZ7YreWJPRx6Y%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjZpKTOrqHNAhXKVz4KHTInBnQQyjcILQ&ei=f75cV5npLsqv-QGyzpigBw#imgrc=z7EB47oeK8ZeiM%3A) and Doodle Balls/MagnaDoodle, the activity books with crosswords, word searches and logic puzzles, coloring books/blank notebooks and colored pencils. Tic-Tac-Toe and Dots are games you can play with pencil and paper. Sudoku and Ken-Ken are great for older kids.

My sister and I played for hours with kleenex- we dressed up our fingers and had finger puppet theater.

Playmobil people (or really any type of action figure)

Multiple siblings? Some card or board games might work (even if they are on screens, they might be a bit more calming than the other games he might play) Ticket To Ride is a great board game with an App to allow for play without the pesky pieces.

Alphabet game- find a (different) sign for each letter of the alphabet. Usually we'd get stuck on "J." In Europe, "X" can be difficult.

So many great suggestions, thank you! Yes he loves to read and I think he'll spend a lot of time reading but I need back up activities too.

He does have a sibling but she is only 4 so they dont really enjoy the same games. Most games she can play he finds boring. I will have to look into the ticket to ride app, we have the game but i didnt realize there was an app.

I get wanting to engage them.My kids are all adhd and the younger two were born before smart phones and tablets. I swear, If i had the options of screen time, I would have let them have it as much as they wanted just to survive the long ride.

I wouldnt really have a problem with it except that when he gets too much screen time his behavior gets REALLY bad. The ride would end up being much worse in the end if I didnt give him breaks with other activities.

mini magnetic board games and cards are what I played with beyond what you've listed. You might ask your kid what he wants to bring.

Healthy snacks. Chewing keeps them quiet.

Overall, it sounds like you have enough supplies if you use them right.

Paper and pen can do many things. We played hangman, tic-tac-toe, and connect the dots where each person would take turns drawing a line and the person who formed the most triangles would win. We would draw comic versions of each other and just draw in general. I would tell a story through drawings - my hyper 3 year old niece was hyponotized to the paper when I was telling the story while drawing, much more so than books. I encouraged her to tell a story too. We folded origami (making those fortune predicting things, Chinese stars, and boats, etc.).

Oh, and if you are returning from vacation. Involving things they loved from the vacation in your activities helps too. Like I drew out a story about a baby manatee and her mother cause we had just finished snorkeling with manatee which she absolutely loved.

Thanks for the reminder about gum, I hadnt thought of that but it will be helpful. I also was thinking about bringing some of his origami paper, he recently got into this.

Caco3girl
06-13-16, 10:56 AM
-DVD player
-iPad
-Crossword search books
-Adult coloring book...it doesn't have "baby" pictures in it, it's more like henna tattoos, with erasable color pencils in case there is a bump
-Rubics cube
-Puzzle where you move one piece and then the other pieces move.
-Magnetic Checkers
-Alphabet go-fish (the 4 year old can join in)
-Pack of playing cards, teach solitaire game that is held in hand so he doesn't have to spread them out. Also can play WAR with 4 year old
-Audio book that everyone can listen to...does he have a favorite book like maybe the Percy Jackson series? You can get it from Audible.com and have it downloaded onto a phone/ipad.

Little Missy
06-13-16, 12:20 PM
My mum and dad used to throw me and my brother a bag of licorice, put on their sunglasses and light up some cigarettes. We never went very far though.