View Full Version : Started Concerta 18mg, wondering about foods I should restrict.

Heybunny
06-11-16, 09:17 PM
Hi! I started Concerta 18mg two days ago, my first ADHD medication. I stopped drinking coffee (I have a heaped teaspoon of instant once a day) the night before and day one started with an awful headache, which I think was caffeine withdrawal, as the headache has subsided today. I've felt no different outside of this.

I stopped coffee because I wanted to see the results of the medication for at least a week without any caffeine affecting the results. I'd heard a lot about it being too stimulating while on stimulants for many people.
Similarly, I've done some searching here and elsewhere and I've noticed orange juice listed as making medication less effective and I already knew about grapefruit (I dislike it anyway) affecting many medications. I've also read about protein being important.

With that said, I am wondering how I should go about eating. I like chocolate, but not candy/sweets. I like a cordial/squash that is made with 7% orange juice from concentrate and has added ascorbic acid. Should I avoid this? I've been drinking it for 10+ years and would hate to have to give it up.

What are your suggestions for things I should be eating lots of? What should I avoid and when? Concerta is slow release Methylphenidate, but I doubt I need to tell anyone here that!

I ask this mostly because my mom is constantly asking me if I can consume X, now that I'm on Concerta. I know she means well but I think she's overthinking this. :P

Thank you!

C15H25N3O
06-11-16, 10:15 PM
Just eat healthy no special diet needed and no extra food needed but Methylphenidate could need some extra high quality magnesium,
extra water and carbs. If you get dehydrated or an under sugar it can cause a headache and can be eliminated with carbs quick and with
chocolate or sweeties quicker and/or drinking.

You dont have to avoid vitamin C or any fruit. You should have a (little) breakfast with the intake even it is just some yoghurt.
Coffee can feel unpleasant and you do right to avoid it while being new to it and adjustment. If you dont feel a difference on focus,
concentration and reading or impulsivity, agility and motivation give your physician a call.

Corina86
06-12-16, 05:38 AM
With the exception of caffeine containing products (coffee, tea) and alcohol there is nothing you can't eat or drink while on concerta. I've noticed I don't like sweets or carbs so much when I'm ok this med; the sugar high feels too strong. But this is a personal preference, you should eat whatever makes you feel good and try to keep an overall healthy diet.

TheFitFatty
06-12-16, 06:50 AM
I'm still drinking coffee and drinking alcohol. Haven't changed my diet much at all, except now I have to make myself eat.

Zooey11
07-03-16, 08:45 AM
I read that you should take Concerta on an empty stomach to maximize absorption. Has anyone else been told this by there physician or pharmacist. Ideally I would like to eat within an hour of taking my medication in the morning.

Toss4n
08-11-16, 04:15 AM
I read that you should take Concerta on an empty stomach to maximize absorption. Has anyone else been told this by there physician or pharmacist. Ideally I would like to eat within an hour of taking my medication in the morning.

They just told me that it varies and that you should try it with and without food to see what suits you best. :) Considering concerta is a slow-release medication, eating shouldn't really affect absorption.