View Full Version : I'm confused about Dex dosage

Laserbeak
06-17-16, 07:03 AM
I'm currently taking 2 x 20mg Adderall IR now (40 mg total). I'd like to try Dexedrine instead. I found a chart that says that's equal to 30 mg total of dextroamphetamine sulfate IR. Unfortunately the only 15 mg tablets are brand name and my insurance won't cover them, but I can get 10mg 3x/day covered. I could theoretically cut some in half so I could take 15 mg twice a day if I wanted to and the doctor thought that was a good idea.

There is also a 15mg pill that is extended release that you just take once a day. I don't understand why it's so much lower of a dose, is the time-release so effective it only needs half the drug to do the same thing?

What do you guys take? The IR or XR?

Thanks!

Little Missy
06-17-16, 09:16 AM
I prefer the IR only because I can control when it is done. The XR for me sometimes at the end of the day would come on with a last minute unwanted burst. But everyone is different. Sometimes Dex makes me morose and mute and then I go back to Adderall. I switch off and on them both. Keeps things fresh with me. Sort of. :)

aeon
06-17-16, 11:23 AM
60mg Dexedrine CR as 2 x 15mg spansules, twice a day.

Cheers,
Ian

Addelicious
06-17-16, 12:24 PM
My Nurse Practitioner did a quick look up on book and said that Adderall and Dexedrine are equivlent meaning 40 mg adderal = 40 mg dextroamphetamin (4 10 mg tablet generic).

aeon
06-17-16, 01:31 PM
My Nurse Practitioner did a quick look up on book and said that Adderall and Dexedrine are equivlent meaning 40 mg adderal = 40 mg dextroamphetamin (4 10 mg tablet generic).

Dunno what book that was, but if we’re talking science, i.e., measurable, repeatable, verifiable facts, that book could not be more wrong.

Cheers,
Ian

Roundmouth
06-17-16, 05:07 PM
Dunno what book that was, but if we’re talking science, i.e., measurable, repeatable, verifiable facts, that book could not be more wrong.

Yes, it probably could.

Greyhound1
06-17-16, 05:58 PM
Basically, Adderall is 3 parts dextroamphetamine and 1 part Levoamphetamine.

40 mg of Adderall would only have 30 mg of dextroamphetamine.

Dexedrine is the brand name for dextroamphetamine. Dexedrine only makes spanuals now which are extended release. They no longer make IR. I went thru a big mess when my Dr. wrote out a script for Dexedrine IR.

I had to educate my Dr., Blue Cross/Blue Shield and change pharmacies to get it straight. If you want generic IR make sure your Dr. writes script for dextroamphetamine IR. There are a couple other brand name meds. that make IR versions now.

Laserbeak
06-17-16, 11:29 PM
Is the sulfate stronger than the hydrochloride? Because the Adderall has a mixture of d-amphetamine sulfate and d-amphetamine hydrochloride, while the Dexedrine is pure d-amphetamine sulfate (same with the s-amphetamine in Adderall).

aeon
06-18-16, 12:37 AM
There is no hydrochloride salt in Adderall.

Only sulfate, saccharate, and aspartate.

Methamphetamine is a hydrochloride salt, however.

Dexedrine is stronger than Adderall because per the same weight (in mg dose), Dexedrine has more dextroamphetamine base than Adderall. Some of Adderall’s weight is levoamphetamine, which is PNS activating, and contributes to side-effects as opposed to the CNS focus of the dextro- isomer.

Cheers,
Ian

Little Nut
06-18-16, 12:17 PM
I have seen 3 approaches to guesstimate equivalence between dexedrine and adderall.

1. Treat all isomers of amphetamines the same and just use equivalents of the base amphetamine. This is not quite right because the L amphetamine isomer is not as effective as dexedrine for ADHD. Still hits other areas though.

2 Assume that the L amphetamine isomer has ZERO efficacy for ADHD treatment. This way you just calculate dexedrine base amphetamine equivalents and ignore the amount of the L amphetamine isomer. This is not quite right either. The L amphetamine isomer has some efficacy for ADHD symptoms plus it will hit the PNS pretty good.

3. Assume part of the L amphetamine isomer is effective for ADHD treatment. Seems to me it was either 1/4 or 1/3 was used. IMO I do not think the specifics are important because at whatever dose you start with you will need to titrate.

Now using items #1 and #2 as the basis.
1- 40mg Adderall = 34.1 mg dexedrine
2- 40mg Adderall = 25.8 mg dexedrine

IMO a good starting dose is somewhere between the 2 and adjust accordingly.

Personally I prefer IR. The dosing is straightforward, there is no concern that the designed delivery rate differs from your own specific delivery rate needs. (I have not taken Spansules, but took Adderall XR.)

Good starting point seems to be 15 mg dexedrine BID. So tell Doc to write for 6 - 5 mg dexedrine tabs/day. Dosage is 3 tabs BID. If you need to bump the dose up or down, splitting the 5mg tabs is easy and they don't fragment much if at all. (10's were a PITA) e.g. If you need to bump dose, split a tab and do 3-1/2 tabs bid for a total of 35mg/d. Regards and HTH, LN

Laserbeak
06-18-16, 02:10 PM
Thanks for all your input! But, I've spoken with my insurance company and IMed a bit with my psychiatrist and it seems like 3 x 10mg/day is doable right now. Does that make sense at least to start?

Little Nut
06-18-16, 03:10 PM
Sure, If within say 2-3 weeks you discover that your dose needs to be increased, would that be a problem for your Doc &/or insurance? GL and Regards, -LN

Laserbeak
06-21-16, 06:17 PM
Success

I got a prescription for two 15mg spansules or whatever per day. I haven't tried one yet because I had Adderall earlier but I might take one later. I have to go to East Side to get an MRI later and it may take a long time.

Laserbeak
06-22-16, 12:18 AM
Now my next question for all you experts out there....

How do the "spansules" work? Do they give a constant stream of medication, or do they give distinct doses like Adderall XR?

Protazoid
06-25-16, 02:41 PM
It's pretty easy to determine the effective amphetamine base equivalent between Dexedrine and adderall.

Wikipedia has a good summary, look up Dextroamphetamine.

35mg adderall has the same amphetamine base as dexedrine. But adderall is 3:1 ratio of d to l enatiomer. D-amp is generally considered the therapeutic one.

So in my experience it works out to be closer to 1mg Dex = 1.5mg adderall, cause you get the same amount of d-amp that way.

The Dex spansules don't last very long, around six hours.

I would try 15mg, and then 15mg after four hours, or try 10mg every three hours as adderall lasts slightly longer.

emperorpenguin
06-29-16, 09:50 AM
Now my next question for all you experts out there....

How do the "spansules" work? Do they give a constant stream of medication, or do they give distinct doses like Adderall XR?

They work like Adderall XR. Half the beads are basically just a sugar-coating that dissolves immediately, the other half dissolve some hours later.