View Full Version : need help to deal with the help! lol!

keldonia
05-16-05, 02:29 PM
We are fortunate enough to have someone do a good cleaning of our house once a month. The problem is, getting ready for her to come causes complete CHAOS for the day or two prior. We have to rush to move around our clutter, try and deal with the piles of clean laundry and remove things from countertops and surfaces so she can clean them. hubby gets so irritated that I am rushing around the day before.

It becomes so stressful that I have considered discontinuing the service, although there would be places in my home that would never get dusted again.

It seems almost not worth it -the house is only clean for like a day or two... then between me and two kids under age 5, it's trashed. I'm worse about clutter than they are and I tune out most of their messes, so it's bad.

I have tried flylady but much of it is not practical with two little kids underfoot. They also don't sleep well, so most nights are out for de-cluttering. AND...pre-school is out for summer.

If you have kids, when do you have time to put away your clean laundry? I honestly cannot keep up!!:o

Nucking_Futs
05-16-05, 08:06 PM
We are fortunate enough to have someone do a good cleaning of our house once a month. The problem is, getting ready for her to come causes complete CHAOS for the day or two prior. We have to rush to move around our clutter, try and deal with the piles of clean laundry and remove things from countertops and surfaces so she can clean them. hubby gets so irritated that I am rushing around the day before.

It becomes so stressful that I have considered discontinuing the service, although there would be places in my home that would never get dusted again.

It seems almost not worth it -the house is only clean for like a day or two... then between me and two kids under age 5, it's trashed. I'm worse about clutter than they are and I tune out most of their messes, so it's bad.

I have tried flylady but much of it is not practical with two little kids underfoot. They also don't sleep well, so most nights are out for de-cluttering. AND...pre-school is out for summer.

If you have kids, when do you have time to put away your clean laundry? I honestly cannot keep up!!:o

First off my husband hates housework but will help if I need it. I however have no trouble mentioning everything that needs done when he hears my list he'll volunteer for kid duty making me free to clean the house.

I too have trouble putting clean laundry away. I've found that keeping the kids apart of the chore makes it easier. Try keeping separate baskets for each person and sort while folding when its time to put the clothes away have the kids help you drag the baskets to its designated room and help you put them away then hand them a quarter or a sticker.

I have three kids and have tried a different stradagy with each one. I've found that the younger your start the better chances your kids will have of learning how to pick up after themselves.

FightingBoredom
05-16-05, 08:45 PM
We have 3 kids, 4 6 and 12. Each has a basket in the laundry room for socks and underwear. They are responsible for taking their own clothes upstairs and putting them away when clean and they also have to make sure their dirty clothes get to the laundry room.
That helps. It also helps sometimes to get them to sort and fold the clothes. The younger ones love doing it.

The one thing that I have found it that it NEVER goes away completely. My wife, not ADD, is constantly frustrated by the clutter and chaos. However, I'm not bothered by it until it gets hard to maneuver around the house in the dark.
Part of the solution, definitely, is acceptance. You have to accept the fact that you have kids and ADD and you live your life. If you want a nice orderly pristine clean environment check into a hospital or a monestary for a few weeks.
Life is dirty, chaotic and a constantly endless battle to keep up with things.........just accept it. Don't quit....just quit being concerned about it.
If clothes are your biggest clutter problem you may have TOO much per person. Even if you don't check out Ikea. They have some great hanging canvas shelves that you can put in your laundry room and stuff full until you're ready to move it elsewhere....and they don't take up much space.

Debs
05-16-05, 09:18 PM
I understand what you are going through. I used to have someone clean every two weeks and "cleaning" for the cleaning lady was very stressful. My kids were very young and it didn't look nice for long but I was happy knowing that toilets and floors had a good scrubbing. (I had 5 bathrooms at the time!!) Now I have someone clean every week for 3 hours, it is great and she has been with me for so long that I don't have to pick up for her, she knows where everything goes. In my kids rooms she organizes things nicely and sets their stuffed animals up in neat ways, but I tell her only to do it if their rooms are basically picked up, if their rooms are bad I tell her to ignore them. They seem to want them done so they do a good job.

When my kids were younger my house was a MESS. I just couldn't be the mother I wanted to be and have my house in order. I had a close friend whose house was always pristine and she tells me that all she remembered about her childhood was her mothers back, she was constantly having to follow her mom around while she cleaned. She didn't care about how the house looked she just cared that her Mom didn't seem to take the time to look at her, listen and spend time with her. In the long run you need to decide what is most important to you.

Nucking_Futs
05-16-05, 11:35 PM
This gives me a great idea on a thread. How to get kids started and keep them interested I've come up with some very crafty tricks in my day it would be interesting to see how other parents handle the challenge.

Great thread!!!

meadd823
05-17-05, 12:10 AM
Cleaning for the cleaning lady Hmmmm never had that problem----->never had a cleaning lady. I got to chase four children work and clean (well sort of) I kept the house from getting totally nasty.

My girls have been doing their own laundry scense they were eight. I showed them how to sort, add soap, use washer and dryer. They wanted clean cloths they had to wash them and put them away. Okay so every one had to go to school at least once wearing wrinkled shirts, spent better part of a morning smelling for the cleanest of the dirty because they "forgot" to do wash.

Also any one old enough to drang things out and use they are OLD enough to put it back where it belongs. Now children under five can still throw toys in a basket. Make a game out of putting toys away!!!!

Make and use easy systems for organization. If it is hard it WON"T happen. My filing is one of those pull out hanging files. Files are marked "rent", "Propane", "Electric" I open hanging file chunck reciet in hanging file with appropiate lable shut it and forget. I have almost five years of stuff in that file and it isn't any where near full. If things take an "act of God" to get put back where they belong then the things don't live in a convient location. One of two things is probably happening in your home making it had to keep picked up. Most of the time the reasons are"placement" of object is not convient or you have more stuff that you do room.

Kids can end up with a zillion cloths and two zillion toys in a milli-second. Divide toys into two or three groups and put two groups in a box and put up. Every two or three months put first group away and get another group down. Toys keep their interest to children longer and there are less toys to have to put away!!!!!!

Cloths are harder but when I began "running" out of room I found there always seemd to be cloths swirrled in bottom of closet or drawer that they had out grown. Put out grown cloths in a box and take to donation center for Salvation Army, or Goodwill"

Hope this helps!!!

Get help with children for an hour at least weekly to enable you to "keep caught up". Children should be taken to park or other fun activity OUT of house or they will be under your feet any way!!!!